Fender FR-12 compared to PXM-12. My experience so far.

I ordered an FR-12 from Sweetwater two weeks ago. Still waiting on them to get back in stock...can't wait to try this out. Might even try a little WDW in my office with the FR-12 as the dry and my monitors as the wet.

Anyone know about how often they restock US retailers?

@DoctorAK Heads up that I placed an order with them, too. They called yesterday and said it could be JUNE before they get more. Meanwhile, Zzounds said they should get more next week. I have an order with both, so we’ll see who ships first.

@DoctorAK Heads up that I placed an order with them, too. They called yesterday and said it could be JUNE before they get more. Meanwhile, Zzounds said they should get more next week. I have an order with both, so we’ll see who ships first.
Wow. Glad you told me. My SW rep just said they got dates pushed back til April. Putting an order in with Zzounds now, thanks for the heads up!

Edited to add: order placed with Zzounds, who on their website says "Shipped by Feb 14."
SW rep said April they may ship. I left my order in place until Zzounds ships, in case they change status.
Guitar Center website chat said July.

Only thing I'm suspicious of with Zzounds is that, IF they really have stock coming in that much earlier than others, and IF Fender has actually updated the internal hardware b/c of the hiss, is Zzounds just dumping older stock...I guess we shall see!

Last edited:
I have heart that Zzounds isn't dumping old stock since there's been a backorder, but who knows. I almost jumped on one that was in stock at a small dealer, but I wanted to see if I can get an updated version. Now we wait and see.

I have heart that Zzounds isn't dumping old stock since there's been a backorder, but who knows. I almost jumped on one that was in stock at a small dealer, but I wanted to see if I can get an updated version. Now we wait and see.
More updates...got email back from Zzounds about 2 hours after placing the order. Says estimated ship date is 2/6/2024!

They haven't confirmed as far as I know. But we've seen 2 or 3 people get the updated versions now so they're clearly building them that way at this point.
sounds iffy. Unless someone takes a shot of the board showing different op-amps we're just guessing. And their support rep has not been good as of late...

They haven't confirmed as far as I know. But we've seen 2 or 3 people get the updated versions now so they're clearly building them that way at this point.
has fender confirmed the fix to the op amps or are we just speculating?

My new FR-10 came in today from sweetwater with the factory replacement 3 opamps on adapters fix. The screws look untouched since leaving the factory so it doesn't appear to be a rework. It has a date code that seems to be oct 2023.
..And it does not hiss.

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

My new FR-10 came in today from sweetwater with the factory replacement 3 opamps on adapters fix. The screws look untouched since leaving the factory so it doesn't appear to be a rework. It has a date code that seems to be oct 2023.
..And it does not hiss.

View attachment 134454

View attachment 134455
I'

Thanks for the FR-10 photos. The one I returned had a date of 202307 (July), and definitely had the hiss. So it looks like between then and October, they changed the opamps. I returned mine and am still awaiting a new model to come in to my local music store.

I'll now be awaiting your assessment of the differences between the FR-12 and FR-10. Thanks again.

More updates...got email back from Zzounds about 2 hours after placing the order. Says estimated ship date is 2/6/2024!
Just another update for those that are curious about shipping times...

My order from Zzounds was last Friday (2/2) and originally got an email saying "backordered and will ship 2/6."

I didn't see an update from them last 2 days, so I called them up today (2/8), they said I'm currently #6 in the queue, and there weren't enough in their shipment this week to fulfill my order. She estimated I'd probably get one mid- to late-March given her data and patterns but obviously the caveat that that could change.

I do still have my order in from Sweetwater from a few weeks ago but not hopeful there, as my rep said late April to May. I may just throw orders in at GC and Sam Ash to see who gets it in first.

Thanks for the update! I just called Zzounds as well and they said I'm in the first shipment to be received, which should be shipping mid-next week. Let's hope!

What's funny, @DoctorAK, is that they said they didn't even receive any this week (contrary to what she told you). So who knows who's got the actual info.

Thanks for the update! I just called Zzounds as well and they said I'm in the first shipment to be received, which should be shipping mid-next week. Let's hope!

What's funny, @DoctorAK, is that they said they didn't even receive any this week (contrary to what she told you). So who knows who's got the actual info.
Hmm...i guess she didn't actually say I "missed" the shipment this week, so I could be misinterpreting her words. Maybe she just meant whatever the next shipment was, I was unlikely to get in and would be til prob mid- to late March shipment based on her prediction...

Oh well. The wait continues. The GAS is real...

I'

Thanks for the FR-10 photos. The one I returned had a date of 202307 (July), and definitely had the hiss. So it looks like between then and October, they changed the opamps. I returned mine and am still awaiting a new model to come in to my local music store.

I'll now be awaiting your assessment of the differences between the FR-12 and FR-10. Thanks again.

I got an fr12 late dec days before xmas from sweetwater. No hiss. I was on a waiting list but date code is 202307. I am behind on these threads… here are some shots… note pcb for preamp is Revc_2023-2-3 as seen in photo.. which seems to be the norm.

Looks like original op amps etc... Now I am wondering though - was mine old stock or something? Or did Fender take them back do a quick check and decide not to do a board swap. Who knows... but strange that they didn't have any of these things and then I get one that was made in July.

In any case - it seems great.

Attachments

• IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5051.jpeg
    IMG_5051.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I got an fr12 late dec days before xmas from sweetwater. No hiss. I was on a waiting list but date code is 202307. I am behind on these threads… here are some shots… note pcb for preamp is Revc_2023-2-3 as seen in photo.. which seems to be the norm.

Looks like original op amps etc... Now I am wondering though - was mine old stock or something? Or did Fender take them back do a quick check and decide not to do a board swap. Who knows... but strange that they didn't have any of these things and then I get one that was made in July.

In any case - it seems great.
That looks exactly like my FR-12 that hisses pretty bad. Maybe you got a unicorn. That's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom