Fender FR-12 compared to PXM-12. My experience so far.

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I've had the PXMs for a short time now and loved them immediately. A few days ago I bought a Fender Tone Master Pro at GC to check out alongside my FM9. Almost as an afterthought I asked if they had the FR-12 as well. They did so I grabbed that too.

My initial test was very promising and I seemed to like it as much as the PXM--maybe even a touch more in some ways. So since I had three EVs I figured the only way to be fair was to order two more FR-12s (lol; I'm crazy). I ordered them from Sweetwater on Saturday evening and they arrived today (Monday morning).

I immediately setup for some testing in stereo (not wdw yet).

IMG_3461.jpeg

Note: Take all this for what it's worth. I tested I in my space with my guitars, my FM9, and my ears. YMMV :)

So far my opinion is holding. I prefer the FR12 for guitar sounds--it just feels a bit more like a real cab. It's the fullness or resonance of the low end I think. It feels more "girthy" and it's a significant difference. The PXM fees more snappy/punchy in the low end.

I used models of a Deluxe, AC-30, JVM orange, and VH-4 and feel that both are great with both low to high gain. I do slightly prefer the FR12 when directly a/b'ing but the overall listening/playing experience is fantastic using either and I'd absolutely be happy with either setup (or even a mix).

While I prefer the FR12 for guitar sounds specifically, I think I prefer the PXMs for recorded music. Maybe? That's much closer. The PXM seems a tiny bit more detailed as a speaker, so a little more hi-fi. My impression is that the PXM is probably a bit flatter but I could be wrong. Of course neither of them is gonna be like a super hi-fi home or car audio speaker or have the detail of a great studio monitor, but both of them sound good enough for playing to backing tracks and such (I ran my iPhone through the FM9's input 2).

I like the control layout of the FR12, with individual knobs and power switch on top which makes adjustments very simple and intuitive--more guitar-like. The PXM's adjustments are low and on the side and you adjust them in a (simple) menu system. The FR12 has bass, middle, treble, and high cut. The PXM has bass, middle, and treble, and you can adjust the center point of the mid control. I didn't adjust the controls during this testing (I did a little when I tried the first one) but I think that high cut on the FR12s would be super handy.

The FR12 only has a single input. That makes it fne for a modeler but less useful as a PA speaker. The PXM has three inputs so it would be better if you want to hook up multiple devices (I need to remember to hook my synth up).

The PXM also has phantom power so you can use it for a vocal mic or something.

The PXM has waaaay more options in terms of DSP/control. Different modes, presets, etc.

The PXM is physically smaller; the FR12 is a couple lbs lighter. I find the carrying experience is a little better with the FR12. The handle is on top and feet on the bottom like a combo amp. The PXM's handle is on the side so when you set it down you either set it on its side and risk scratching it up or you tilt it while setting it down so it lands on its feet. That just feels a little more awkward.

They both can be set at a few angles (swing out legs on the FR12). The PXM is pole mountable. The FR is not.

The FR12 has a more guitar-centric aesthetic.

Ambient hiss is minimal on both.

All in all, both of these are really good with the FM9. I don't think you can go wrong with either for use as an FRFR for a modeler.

More testing. In response to a question, I did a quick test at super low volume. The FR12 sounds way better in that situation to me. And that's all due to the difference in low end and what I'm now thinking of as cabinet resonance. The FR12 has the resonance of a real cab as opposed to emulating it...because it is a real cab.

The FR12 sounds and feels way more like a guitar cab is supposed to sound "in the room." One could probably argue that this resonance makes it less "flat response"--less neutral. I could accept that argument. I mean theoretically your monitoring system when using cab sims shouldn't sound like a cab in the room.

It's kind of a double edged sword I guess. It means maybe the FR12 is less "accurate" but I'm finding it a little more...fun? Like I feel like I'm getting the benefit of using IRs/cab sims but also getting that elusive amp in the room feel. I dunno. Seems like a win-win.

Thanks for posting @Deadpool_25 . I got a PXM-12MP around a month ago and have been using it with my FM9. I’m very happy with it. I’m close to ordering a 2nd PXM-12MP to get stereo capability. I don’t think I can afford a 3rd though!

I must admit I was intrigued when I saw the FR-12 come out. It sounds like another great option. If I didn’t already have the existing PXM-12MP I’d consider getting 2 FR-12s. It certainly would be less expensive. And based on your initial impression, might even have some advantages. In my case I plan to get another PXM-12MP so I have a matched pair of them.

I’m very interested to hear more of your observations re: the TMP and FR-12s.

Do the Fender cabs use a coaxial speaker? Very smart of Fender to jump in on this market. If it sounds as good as the EV and looks like like an amp that’s the icing on the cake.

Edit: Looked at Fenders site and sounds like not coax but a 12” speaker and a horn. Have to admit I want one of these. Maybe for Christmas. I was planning on another DIY cab but I’m loving the amp like look.

Last edited:
Do the Fender cabs use a coaxial speaker? Very smart of Fender to jump in on this market. If it sounds as good as the EV and looks like like an amp that’s the icing on the cake.

Edit: Looked at Fenders site and sounds like not coax but a 12” speaker and a horn. Have to admit I want one of these. Maybe for Christmas. I was planning on another DIY cab but I’m loving the amp like look.
Nope.

IMG_3410.jpeg

Last little exercise before bed. I hooked up the ASM Hydrasynth Explorer through FM9 input 2 and ran that through the FR-12s and PXMs. There's clearly a slight difference in sound. Maybe more low mids in the PXMs? The low end still seems a bit better on the FR-12s. Regardless, they both sound equally great to me overall in this context.

Last little exercise before bed. I hooked up the ASM Hydrasynth Explorer through FM9 input 2 and ran that through the FR-12s and PXMs. There's clearly a slight difference in sound. Maybe more low mids in the PXMs? The low end still seems a bit better on the FR-12s. Regardless, they both sound equally great to me overall in this context.
@Deadpool_25 Have you compared the sound of the PXM-12MPs and FR-12s with some studio monitors that are supposed to have a relatively flat response? If so, did one sound closer to the studio monitor than the other? Thanks again for posting your findings here.

I think the low end issue is probably less resonance versus a larger cabinet design.
The low end extension on the JBL PRX812 I was using was much better, but the FR-12, like you say, sounds better for guitar out the box.

Thanks for this thoughtful review! I'm very interested in these! Love the look and the price is under what seems to be the going rate for a quality wedge-form FRFR.

Any idea what the dispersion angles are for these? I can't find the info on Fender's site.

quick aside - god I hope Fractal doesn't go the touch-screen route like many of the others are :sweatsmile:

Last edited:
Thanks for this thoughtful review! I'm very interested in these! Love the look and the price is under what seems to be the going rate for a quality wedge-form FRFR.

Any idea what the dispersion angles are for these? I can't find the info on Fender's site.

quick aside - god I hope Fractal doesn't go the touch-screen route like many of the others are :sweatsmile:
Other than the tuner on the main screen, I’m good when performing.
I saw a blurb from Fender saying the tweeter is a high dispersion type.

I checked yesterday and it felt like the dispersion was about the same as the PXM.

After using the UI on the TMP, I'm not sure I agree about the touch screen. It's incredibly intuitive. The combination of a touch screen and knobs with scribble strips is wonderful. Fractal's method of having the A-E knobs and showing their use above them on the screen is very good as well.

I don't care about the fancy graphics that look like an amp and pedals, but swiping feels better to me than hitting page, and tapping feels more natural to select things instead of using arrow buttons and the enter button.

@Deadpool_25 Have you compared the sound of the PXM-12MPs and FR-12s with some studio monitors that are supposed to have a relatively flat response? If so, did one sound closer to the studio monitor than the other? Thanks again for posting your findings here.
No, and I'm not sure how I'd do that. I have some HS7s with a sub. I could maybe figure something out to test them but that seems awkward. They're made for different environments. The monitors are made to be up on a desk and the FR-12s are made to be on the floor in (presumably) a bigger space. The PXMs are kinda like the FR-12s in that, thought they can be pole mounted (and I don't have anything to mount them on).

I suppose I could just toss the HS7s (without the sub) on top of the FR-12s in my larger space? That would be easy enough to do. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

It's kind of a double edged sword I guess. It means maybe the FR12 is less "accurate" but I'm finding it a little more...fun? Like I feel like I'm getting the benefit of using IRs/cab sims but also getting that elusive amp in the room feel. I dunno. Seems like a win-win.

This is exactly how I feel about my FR-12 used at home (can't comment on live and high volume). I know it's likely less flat, but I don't care because I'm enjoying what it's doing.

Presets still translate well from my studio monitors, though.

Thanks for the comparison. I nearly bought the EV PXM a week or two before the FR-12, so I would have been dwelling on this decision for a long time and wondering what I was missing otherwise.

Last edited:
I checked yesterday and it felt like the dispersion was about the same as the PXM.

After using the UI on the TMP, I'm not sure I agree about the touch screen. It's incredibly intuitive. The combination of a touch screen and knobs with scribble strips is wonderful. Fractal's method of having the A-E knobs and showing their use above them on the screen is very good as well.

I don't care about the fancy graphics that look like an amp and pedals, but swiping feels better to me than hitting page, and tapping feels more natural to select things instead of using arrow buttons and the enter button.
yeah I suppose I'm thinking in terms of live use only, where a touch screen just seems fiddly - I guess if well-executed it would be great for using in a home studio environment.

I’m definitely considering an FR12 or FR10. Thoughts on how gigantic the FR12 might seem in front of you on stage tilted back (in typical wedge position) compared to the PXM12MP? Wondering if the 10 would be better or than the 12 in this regard, or maybe not “as fun” w/o the extra low end of the FR12? I’ve currently got the EV, but want more accessible EQ… And fewer weird looks from other guitarists. :)

-Aaron

Last edited:
First time I’ve heard of these. Just looked on Sweetwater and they’re less than 10" deep. Surprised they have enough low end. Are the eq controls similar to the ones on the Duncan Powerstage?

Back
Top Bottom