Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

They built it with no protection from ID10T sound dude's accidental application of phantom power and call it a piece of pro gear????

I like to think that the "pro" part of the hardware was supplied by Hanser and I'll certainly be keeping my eye on their stuff in future because it sounds great to me 🙂

With @WKSmith's preamp we'll finally have the complete Pro experience 🙏

Last edited:
I like to think that the "pro" part of the hardware was supplied by Hanser and I'll certainly be keeping my eye on their stuff in future because it sounds great to me 🙂

With @WKSmith's preamp we'll finally have the complete Pro experience 🙏
the Kustom brand is all Hanser.
I have a gut feeling they also ghost built (white Boxed) Audio Centron, Crate, and perhaps Traynor.
They build a good bit of OEM stuff for other brands ..Like big F corp.

They also don't return phone calls or voicemails, so they are about to look like hacks publicly in just a few short weeks.

the Kustom brand is all Hanser.
[...]
They also don't return phone calls or voicemails, so they are about to look like hacks publicly in just a few short weeks.

Oh. I had inferred that Hanser were only responsible for the power amp and Fender the preamp. Hence my favourable Hanser comment. So that's not true here?

Oh. I had inferred that Hanser were only responsible for the power amp and Fender the preamp. Hence my favourable Hanser comment. So that's not true here?
It's my understanding they build all of it. My comments are not unfavorable of the FR ..I love it. It just has some issues.

I am really not a fan of the cost cutting and the BigF corporate response to the hiss.

..And that they missed a chance to fix it, save money on components, and just pay me in some product and put my company name beside bigF on the pcb. That offer is off the table now.

It's my understanding they build all of it. My comments are not unfavorable of the FR ..I love it. It just has some issues.

I am really not a fan of the cost cutting and the BigF corporate response to the hiss.

..And that they missed a chance to fix it, save money on components, and just pay me in some product and put my company name beside bigF on the pcb. That offer is off the table now.
Not surprised at all by Fenders response to you. Besides admitting that their design has an issue with hiss they also would not want to deal with legalities of a third party being involved with their product that has already been distributed after the fact.

Well you make a very intelligent and investigated purchase and think you are now ahead of the curve. Nope! The next day there is a plethora of new devices demanding your attention and the one you just purchased is now the 'old one'. It is going to get worse when AI (completely) designs and builds this stuff. Yes, it is a disease!

Just wait a tiny bit longer. These circuit boards will be gold plated ENIG on black soldermask. Hell I'm even getting GAS. 🤣

Since my design is less than 36% of the size of the stock cheap single sided PCB.. I decided to splurge on the good stuff. For pretty much the same cost.

Last edited:
I need confirmation; someone in TGF claims to have gotten a brand new FR-12 from Fender which is basically factory-modded 😡

https://thegearforum.com/threads/fender-fr-10-fr-12-noise-reduction-mod.3559/post-157520

View attachment 131821

The EQ opamp ICs were replaced with OPA1664s - a fine choice for this application, with a very low noise floor - but, surprisingly, one i haven't seen suggested elsewhere so far.
And they only replaced 2 of 3 eq chips and the first 2 stages. And I wonder what's under the #3 sticker on the crossover IC

They owe you a thank you. That's kinda sleezy for sure. Guess they decided to tune up that 1000 watt hot rod 🙄

Just asked the same - i'm really curious why they decided to change the input opamp as well.

NGL, i'm quite pissed about Fender basically quietly stealing my work if this happens to be legit.
I bet Fender climbed Hansers ass about the hiss. And Hanser is lurking about taking notes.

I am building the V2 pre with such high end parts they won't be able to afford to clone it and mass market it at the big box store.
Skeezbags

Back
Top Bottom