Fender FR-12 compared to PXM-12. My experience so far.

Hey all. This is what Fender say:

We understand your concern and in this instance, the level of hiss you refer to is to be expected. The amplifier creates 1000 Watts of audio output. At “idle”, the level of the background sonic output is much greater than guitarists typically hear from any conventional amplifier. The FR amplifiers also have a 1-inch, wide dispersion, high-frequency driver, something the majority of guitarists are not at all familiar with having in their amplifiers. This driver handles only the highest of frequencies, so at idle it is obviously emitting a level of pure, high frequencies.

A direct correlation is that the sound of a high-performance automobile at idle is considerably greater than the sound of a family car at idle. The same concept applies here, in that the Tone Master FR amplifiers are hugely capable and purposely designed for stage use. They will easily out-perform any challenger and to do so requires a great deal of “muscle”, which is what you hear at idle.

Not sure what to even think of this….😄
[Edited this because really the hiss is not bad enough to be a deal breaker with how good these sound]

Well my PXM-12 (700w ea) is sitting right next to it at the same volume and no hiss so not really sure about this explanation.
That being said, these really do sound great. I would not let the discussion of the hiss sound deter you from at least trying a set of these. It is really easy with the treble knob on the top of the cab to bring your guitar right into stage mix (have only used at practice, first show with them next weekend so will add to this then) without having to mess with your fractal settings.

Last edited:
You give them too much benefit of the doubt.

86%-ish of all advertising is bald-faced lies....

I work in marketing, and at least in our industry, that's not the case. But....there are also almost no technical reasons to buy one product over another...so it's literally just preferences and "lifestyle" marketing.

(Also, FWIW, I'm a tech guy...not really involved in writing copy)

I'm at my rehearsal room trying to figure out the best way to have these coupled together. My CLR'S sound good angled a little toward each other but I think the Fenders sound better straight across and not angled in towards each other. Any one have an opinion or a best option advise?

Attachments

• 20231026_131159.jpg
    20231026_131159.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
I'm at my rehearsal room trying to figure out the best way to have these coupled together. My CLR'S sound good angled a little toward each other but I think the Fenders sound better straight across and not angled in towards each other. Any one have an opinion or a best option advise?
Beside each other at the same angle will acoustically couple the cabinets and make the low end badass.

If you use hard panned delays or other blocks, putting them on each side of the stage spaced far apart will make the panning lush and wide.

Last edited:
Well my PXM-12 (1200w) is sitting right next to it at the same volume and no hiss so not really sure about this explanation. I probably should have waited until this design issue was sorted and bought the next version of this cab :p
Does the PXM have an EQ section? My MF10 is also super quiet but no onboard EQ.

I don’t think they are going to do anything to be honest..

Question for those using an FR-12/10 - are you using any global output EQ settings?
I’m not. I find the FR-12’s eq easier to use than navigating menus to adjust the FM3‘s global eq. My presets are already tweaked to sound good through the PA.

-Aaron

I’m not. I find the FR-12’s eq easier to use than navigating menus to adjust the FM3‘s global eq. My presets are already tweaked to sound good through the PA.

-Aaron
I too like the onboard EQ. Analog….easy….no bending over…

We understand your concern and in this instance, the level of hiss you refer to is to be expected. The amplifier creates 1000 Watts of audio output. At “idle”, the level of the background sonic output is much greater than guitarists typically hear from any conventional amplifier. The FR amplifiers also have a 1-inch, wide dispersion, high-frequency driver, something the majority of guitarists are not at all familiar with having in their amplifiers. This driver handles only the highest of frequencies, so at idle it is obviously emitting a level of pure, high frequencies.

A direct correlation is that the sound of a high-performance automobile at idle is considerably greater than the sound of a family car at idle. The same concept applies here, in that the Tone Master FR amplifiers are hugely capable and purposely designed for stage use. They will easily out-perform any challenger and to do so requires a great deal of “muscle”, which is what you hear at idle.

I honestly wonder what that would do.

Seriously....even some of the big YT review and store channels have been saying, at least in passing, that they don't believe power ratings for a while. The damn marketing departments have turned it into meaningless fluff. It might as well carry the same weight as the color of the box.

Actually....the color (or at least design) on the box is probably more information - at least in general it seems like the fancier the box, the sooner the thing inside it is going to break.
At least they didn't guarantee it but hey who knows right!

Ridiculous marketing BS answer. And I'm sure they meant to say it's LESS than you'd typically hear from an amp--they said "much greater". Pfft

They say it's 1000 watts and I'm guessing it may be in whatever out of context way they measured it, but then I'm guessing other FRFR systems would spec similarly if also measured the same way.

From the work WKSmith is doing it seems like they may well have been able to reduce that hiss with a few different choices. What that would do to the price is another story.

Last edited:
I would not let the discussion of the hiss sound deter you from at least trying a set of these. It is really easy with the treble knob on the top of the cab to bring your guitar right into stage mix (have only used at practice, first show with them next weekend so will add to this then) without having to mess with your fractal settings.

I will surely get one. I am just waiting for it to be available in Thailand. They say it will come next month

Back
Top Bottom