Fender FR-12 compared to PXM-12. My experience so far.

Just ordered a couple of the 12" versions. I wasn't sure which one would be beefy and chunky and tight. Hopefully I'll be surprised. I've had Friedmans, headrush, QSC, EV pxm-12's and I currently have four Atomic CLRS. I'm hoping these will be good and I don't have to send them back to Sweetwater!

Just ordered a couple of the 12" versions. I wasn't sure which one would be beefy and chunky and tight. Hopefully I'll be surprised. I've had Friedmans, headrush, QSC, EV pxm-12's and I currently have four Atomic CLRS. I'm hoping these will be good and I don't have to send them back to Sweetwater!
Considering that extensive list of speakers you have had, I'll definitely be interested in hearing your assessment of the Fender FR12's. Also, with so much positive feedback of the EV PXM-12's, I'm curious as to what you found lacking with them.

Considering that extensive list of speakers you have had, I'll definitely be interested in hearing your assessment of the Fender FR12's. Also, with so much positive feedback of the EV PXM-12's, I'm curious as to what you found lacking with them.
The EV's didn't sound bad but they didn't sound as natural to me. Almost a hint of like that plastic cab sound even though they were wood. The Headrush sounded really bad I thought. The Friedmans sounded big and a little like a cab but had too much of a sizzle presence to me. I play heavy and classic metal. The CLR'S have always been the best I've experienced so far.

...I'm guessing it's just the way the cabinet itself resonates.
There’s some truth to that. Monitors are usually designed to minimize resonances in the name of accuracy. On the other hand, guitar cabs aren’t designed to tame resonances. They’re just plywood knocked together as a convenient way to mount a loudspeaker. Resonances are allowed to ring out.

OK, so I'm intrigued by the FR's - I was about to buy a PXM - but now thinking for the same money (roughly) I can get a pair of FR's.

So, here's my question to all of the experts in this thread (seriously, you guys provide some great info) - In my case, I'd use either a PXM or FR as my main stage amplifier. We play mostly small bars, but I need volume because - our drummer...so, if you had to pick one for stage use (I have no option, usually, to go through the board) - which would you pick? (FR vs. PXM for this use case).

Cheers...

I compared the FR-12 to my CLR using my Axe III at the music store this afternoon. Please note that the side-fill monitors at last nights gig were louder than they should have been, so my hearing wasn't 100% of my "normal", but not bad either. The Fender was in it's tilt position with the CLR next to it in the tilt setting (I far prefer it in FF mode on a pole, but wanted "apples to apples" comparison). I stood aproximately 5 ft in front of the speakers. I didn't use a SPL meter, but tried to compare them at the same levels using output 1 to the CLR and output 2 to the Fender. I used my main rock patch which is similar to the GOT Brad (aerosmith) preset, my "run to you", Nirvana, Cars, Metallica and Acoustic/Piezo presets at both bedroom and gig levels.

I was very surprised that I didn't hear the hiss that some people have reported...possibly due to last nights gig or it was a batch issue as some have guessed at. I was pleasantly surprised with the Fender. My CLR clearly had more detail in the tone whereas the Fender had a little more smear to it. One thing that puzzled me was that if I adjusted the eq on the Fender to more closely match the CLR on one patch, I needed to adjust it again when switching to another patch.
Long story short I won't be selling my CLR's, but could definitely gig with the Fender. I feel it's a very good speaker, especially at it's price point.

OK, so I'm intrigued by the FR's - I was about to buy a PXM - but now thinking for the same money (roughly) I can get a pair of FR's.

So, here's my question to all of the experts in this thread (seriously, you guys provide some great info) - In my case, I'd use either a PXM or FR as my main stage amplifier. We play mostly small bars, but I need volume because - our drummer...so, if you had to pick one for stage use (I have no option, usually, to go through the board) - which would you pick? (FR vs. PXM for this use case).

Cheers...
I legitimately think you can't go wrong with either. It's gonna sound great either way and will be plenty loud. The FR does sound more like a real guitar cab to me but the PXM is more versatile because of the extra inputs.

Personally, just for guitar/modeler backline, I'd go with the FR.

I’ve had 2 FR-12s now for a couple of weeks and I’m done searching.
These are great sounding cabs ! I play mostly jazz and the plunk on the E string is just perfect.
But just one is fine for small club jazz backline. All I look for in speakers is the “sound”, and these just feel and sound right for what I do. As always YMMV. :)

P.S. The FM9 is a part of the system sound and I’m fortunate to have followed the Fractal brand !
P.S.S. I played twin reverbs for years and they had the “sound” but they were very heavy and man could they hiss. :)

Back
Top Bottom