Fender Deluxe - Am I crazy?

Matt:

I'm not really sure what you consider the 'Fender' sound. That example Cliff posted sure sounded like the classic 'Fender' sound to my ears. Same thing with Scott's. I haven't checked through, but have you posted what YOU consider the classic Fender sound? It's easy to say 'Doesn't sound like one at ALL to me' unless you show what you consider 'that' tone.

As one who has complained about the IR's, for some reason I don't have problems with the actual amp sims for Fender.

In the end, isn't this like asking for a classic 'Marshall' sound? Which one? Plexi (and WHICH Plexi), 800, JTM45, Bluesbreaker, whatever. Everyone has a different definition.

Ron

electronpirate said:
Matt:

I'm not really sure what you consider the 'Fender' sound. That example Cliff posted sure sounded like the classic 'Fender' sound to my ears. Same thing with Scott's. I haven't checked through, but have you posted what YOU consider the classic Fender sound? It's easy to say 'Doesn't sound like one at ALL to me' unless you show what you consider 'that' tone.

As one who has complained about the IR's, for some reason I don't have problems with the actual amp sims for Fender.

In the end, isn't this like asking for a classic 'Marshall' sound? Which one? Plexi (and WHICH Plexi), 800, JTM45, Bluesbreaker, whatever. Everyone has a different definition.

Ron

Hi Ron,

No problem. Let me put some thought about collecting some good recorded samples to reference. I did mention the track, Freedom, from Robben Ford's album, Tiger Walk. You can download this off iTunes, but I didn't see a studio version on Youtube. I'll find some others if you'd like as soon as I can verify what amps were actually used.

Just to be clear, I'm not asking for a "Classic" Fender sound, as I agree that that could be misinterpreted. I am asking for an "Accurate" Fender sound, which is more objective and doesn't really pertain to what I would personally consider to be good or not.

I will say that in terms of auditioning a guitar sound, I find it helpful to hear a variety of playing approaches (strummed chords, single note licks, double stops, bends, etc) and a variety of typical guitar pairings (Strat, 335, Les Paul, etc) which might be considered typical fare for the sounds in question. I think this gives a more holistic representation of the sound in question. If Cliff thought it would help, I would happily put together a reamp track of such things to help keep comparisons standard. I have a nice collection of guitars.

Cheers,
-Matt

Sorry Ron, I think I skipped this part of your question...

electronpirate said:

Ron

My own preference would be for a Blackface Super Reverb loaded with half Alnico and half ceramic speakers (I have a nice set of Webers in mine, based on Ted Weber's (RIP) recommendation... I don't have any vintage drivers). As I've mentioned, the bright switch is very key here. However, I wasn't just requesting ONE particular Fender sound be added or revisited, but rather the group be re-examined. FYI, I did list a small set of amps that I thought would be a good representation of the most recorded/revered Fender amps IMHO in an earlier post.

Cheers,
-Matt

Zen Guitar said:
My own preference would be for a Blackface Super Reverb loaded with half Alnico and half ceramic speakers
You're combining two independent items here: amp sim and cab sim. It is my position that the Axe-Fx already provides more-than-adequate tools to address both issues.

Given your highly specific transducer preferences, as well as a desire for mismatched transducers, I can tell you that only a farfield IR will produce satisfactory results. You already have the option of generating and uploading any IR you wish in the Axe-Fx. I can't imagine why anyone would expect more than that.

However, I wasn't just requesting ONE particular Fender sound be added or revisited, but rather the group be re-examined.
Only you know what your definition of a "classic Fender sound" is. Ergo, only you can tweak the amp/cab combination to get the sounds you hear in your head. Like many other users, I have had no difficulty satisfying myself in this regard. For example, I've gotten the same sound from the Axe-Fx that I used to get from my brownface Bassman. Even though that is a "classic" Fender amp, its sound (at least, the sound I got from it) is radically different from that of other ca. 1950s-1960s Fender amps.

FYI, I did list a small set of amps that I thought would be a good representation of the most recorded/revered Fender amps IMHO in an earlier post.
Naming the amp is a meaningless exercise. Different examples of the same amp sounded noticeably different, and any given amp can produce a huge spectrum of sounds, depending on the instrument, pedals, studio postprocessing (which has been pretty ubiquitous since the 1950s) and, most importantly, the player.

marshall2553 said:
VegaBaby said:
Do you have master on the Axe cranked ? Non Master amps 'should' have Master on the Axe around 9.33. I found it to make quite a difference especially with the Fender sims.
Tried it cranked to around 9.0-9.5 and the low end gets really farty so I usually back it down to around 7.0. Like I said, the AxeFx may be perfectly capable of great Fender tones and I'm just not tweaking correctly.
What I do, and I think what folks here are suggesting, is to turn the master up to max (or 9.33 if you wish) and adjust the drive to suit. By doing that, the drive will act the same as a volume control on a typical fender amp. So yes, if drive is set too high, the bottem end gets flabby. I like to set mine on the edge of breakup so I can play lightly for crystal clean tones or dig in for a bit of grit.

IMO the best modeled fender tones are in Revalver MKIII. If you play with the tube settings, and use hi rez Redwire IRs, it gets SCARY close. Like... sounds like its in the room sitting next to you close...
Like 99.9 % good as the real thing close...
~mx~

Often people are to hung up in getting it to sound exactly like an amp, instead of making it just sound good IMHO.

That you can do with almost any amp in here. Sometimes I can change amp to a Marshall, and making it sound closer to what i wanted. And i thought i would get the sound from a Fender. But i just want good sound with whatever i use ;)

But of course: i´ve never used a lot of Fender amps.... I find a lot of nice sounds from them, but i don´t know if they are accurate :)

Kriig said:
Often people are to hung up in getting it to sound exactly like an amp, instead of making it just sound good IMHO.

That you can do with almost any amp in here. Sometimes I can change amp to a Marshall, and making it sound closer to what i wanted. And i thought i would get the sound from a Fender. But i just want good sound with whatever i use ;)

But of course: i´ve never used a lot of Fender amps.... I find a lot of nice sounds from them, but i don´t know if they are accurate :)

Ehhhh ...... When one selects a Fender amp sim, and adds a Fender cab sim, one is entitled to expect the result to sound like a Fender.

yek said:
Kriig said:

Ehhhh ...... When one selects a Fender amp sim, and adds a Fender cab sim, one is entitled to expect the result to sound like a Fender.

Yes, but people are still to hung up in type of amp, instead of the sound itself IMHO.. It was not Fender amps particular.. Amps in general. That goes for all gear ;)

It would be cool if amp names were:

Clean 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc
Crunch 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc
Overdrive 1, 2, 3, 4 etc
Higain 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc

That would make players use their ears instead of eyes IMO... You would have a clear mind when you start making a patch. But it would probably not work. We all like something known to refere to.. Hehe

To get a signature sound, I can´t sound like everyone else.. (but i probably do :D )

Kriig said:
yek said:
Kriig said:

Yes, but people are still to hung up in type of amp, instead of the sound itself IMHO.. It was not Fender amps particular.. Amps in general. That goes for all gear ;)

To get a signature sound, I can´t sound like everyone else.. (but i probably do :D )

Kriig said:
yek said:
Kriig said:

Ah, okay, I get it.

yek said:
When one selects a Fender amp sim, and adds a Fender cab sim, one is entitled to expect the result to sound like a Fender.
There is certainly no shortage of beliefs regarding entitlement around here. However, many of us believe that "the result sounds like a Fender" right now. Your disagreement is not a legitimate basis for "fixing" what I would argue that most users - including myself - do not believe is broken.

I don't know what the fuss is about. When I run my Axe-Fx through a clean SS power amp into one of my Fender cabs, I can make it sound just like the amp. Are you A/B-ing the Axe-FX with a real Fender into the same cab? If not, you may be mistaken about what a Fender amp sounds like.

Hi Jay,

Always a pleasure getting your insight into things. Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

Jay Mitchell said:
You're combining two independent items here: amp sim and cab sim. It is my position that the Axe-Fx already provides more-than-adequate tools to address both issues.

Given your highly specific transducer preferences, as well as a desire for mismatched transducers, I can tell you that only a farfield IR will produce satisfactory results. You already have the option of generating and uploading any IR you wish in the Axe-Fx. I can't imagine why anyone would expect more than that.

Just to be clear, I am not expecting an exact duplicate of my Super Reverb, with its mismatched speaks, from the Axe-Fx. I would LOVE this, but I'm not expecting this. I just brought this up in response to another post with the intent of stating what I WOULD like if I were granted a magic wish about what Fender sound I could have in the Axe.

I do think that it is reasonable to expect to get in the close vicinity of the type of Blackface sounds that are like my Super Reverb and other Blackface Fender amps that I have played, and I do think it reasonable that the other Fender amps simms currently represented in the Axe sound similarly close. Seeing the magic that Cliff has poured into so many other amp simms, I can't help but feel that his brilliance could breathe greater life into the Fender simms.

However, it has already been discussed that connecting the Axe to a SS power amp (QSC PLX3602) into the real world Fender cabs do not produce satisfactory results IMHO, so I believe that there is room for improvement in the amp simms themselves and not just an issue of IR's.

So, I do understand your position of stating that, with the ability to load in any IR, that tool is in place. That said, I would hope that adding additional or improved IR's is something Cliff continues to develop as well. However, as I feel that the amp simms themselves could be improved upon, I would argue that that particular tool is not in place.

Once again, this is not meant to bash Cliff or his excellent work, but only to request that these amp simms be revisited/revised. I'm sure that Cliff has new tricks up his sleeve since they were first created, and probably better/increased access to good specimens of the amps in question. I'm just asking that, since so many of us are running into the same road blocks, that Cliff help us out with some specific advice and possibly see about building upon his past work.

Only you know what your definition of a "classic Fender sound" is. Ergo, only you can tweak the amp/cab combination to get the sounds you hear in your head. Like many other users, I have had no difficulty satisfying myself in this regard. For example, I've gotten the same sound from the Axe-Fx that I used to get from my brownface Bassman. Even though that is a "classic" Fender amp, its sound (at least, the sound I got from it) is radically different from that of other ca. 1950s-1960s Fender amps.

I think it is important to restate that I am not trying to obtain an idealized sound in my head. I am trying to obtain a sound similar to some real world examples of the amplifiers in question. I think this is an important distinction because it is less subjective.

You state that many other users have had no difficulty satisfying themselves with these sounds. I would just point out that many other users feel as I do as well and have had great difficulty here. Therefore I think there is some validity to what I'm saying and not me just being my typical OCD self. :mrgreen:

My goal with the Axe-FX is and has always been to replicate, as closely as possible, my real world amps for use in direct recording. So for me, accuracy is important, not just a subjectively good tone. I know that others have different goals/uses for the Axe, all of which are just as valid as mine, but which may contribute to whatever level of satisfaction that experience.

Naming the amp is a meaningless exercise. Different examples of the same amp sounded noticeably different, and any given amp can produce a huge spectrum of sounds, depending on the instrument, pedals, studio postprocessing (which has been pretty ubiquitous since the 1950s) and, most importantly, the player.

Partially agreed-partially disagreed. Amps will vary in tone from amp to amp. Less so with modern PCB circuit designs and more so with handwired vintage designs with aging parts, etc. This is why I think it is important to model the simms on quality specimens. Cliff may not (or he very well may for all I know) have the resources in obtaining these specimens that the bigger guys (Digidesign, Line 6) do. However, good specimens of any amp, will share enough commonality for their trademark sounds to be recognized as that particular amp. Furthermore, I think that many could agree upon what makes a good specimen versus a bad. Therefore naming a list of amps is, IMHO, very meaningful.

The other dependencies of its tone that you list, i.e., the instrument, pedals, studio processing, the player, etc, are all external to the amp and therefore should affect the Axe-Fx in the same way (in a perfect modeling world) as the real amp, so can be ignored for our purposes.

Hopefully none of this comes across as arguementative. It is not my intention. As I said, I have great respect for Cliff, the Axe-Fx, and also for you, Jay, and your many excellent contributions. I've learned much by what you have shared thus far and look forward to learning more in the future. :)

Cheers,
-Matt

Jay Mitchell said:
yek said:
When one selects a Fender amp sim, and adds a Fender cab sim, one is entitled to expect the result to sound like a Fender.
There is certainly no shortage of beliefs regarding entitlement around here. However, many of us believe that "the result sounds like a Fender" right now. Your disagreement is not a legitimate basis for "fixing" what I would argue that most users - including myself - do not believe is broken.

You misunderstand me / misinterpreted my reaction to another post. I'm not "disagreeing" and I'm not saying something needs to be fixed. Actually I'm very happy with my patches with a Fender amp sim.

When more than a few users report being unable to dial in the Fender tones they want, and a request is made for an expert example to learn from it, that's fair IMO. They are not being helped being told that they are doing it all wrong.

Don't tell me whether my view on something is or isn't a legitimate basis for whatever. I'm not claiming that it should be, and AFAIK you're not appointed as a judge.

Kriig said:

Hi Kriig,

Your thoughts here are totally valid. If you are only after "good tone" then it doesn't matter what path you take to get it or whether or not it is acurate with regards to any real world counterpart.

However, my goal is to use the Axe as a direct recording solution which emulates my real world amps as closely as possible. For me, the desire is to make the sounds in the Axe sound as closely as possible to well recorded tracks done with my real world amps, giving me the same sounds, but with the added convenience of direct recording.

I have my ideal tones. I've spent my life working on my playing and putting together the right equipment. So, I'm looking to replicate sounds that I feel are already perfect rather than create new sounds which are good. Hopefully this makes sense.

So, for me, accuracy is very important. :)

Cheers,
-Matt

mtlin said:
I don't know what the fuss is about. When I run my Axe-Fx through a clean SS power amp into one of my Fender cabs, I can make it sound just like the amp. Are you A/B-ing the Axe-FX with a real Fender into the same cab? If not, you may be mistaken about what a Fender amp sounds like.

Hi mtlin,

As discussed, this has actually been done. Some of us have come to your conclusions and some of us feel, as I do, that it does not sound the same by a good margin.

I would ask those that have done this and feel that they've gotten the same tones to chime in and let us know whether or not the tones remained accurate, in their opinions, with varying volume (especially stage/club volumes), tone and bright switch settings, and interactivity with the same guitars, pedals, etc.

For those that have had success here, have you found any advanced settings or best practices that have helped in getting things to match up?

Cheers,
-Matt

Zen Guitar said:
mtlin said:

Hi mtlin,

As discussed, this has actually been done. Some of us have come to your conclusions and some of us feel, as I do, that it does not sound the same by a good margin.

I would ask those that have done this and feel that they've gotten the same tones to chime in and let us know whether or not the tones remained accurate, in their opinions, with varying volume (especially stage/club volumes), tone and bright switch settings, and interactivity with the same guitars, pedals, etc.

For those that have had success here, have you found any advanced settings or best practices that have helped in getting things to match up?

Cheers,
-Matt

Fair enough Matt. I don't play through combo cabs live so I can't really comment on stage volume. I always go direct. But I turn them up pretty loud at home considering I live in a city. I have tried them both with and without bright caps but not with pedals. I'm surprised that you judge the difference to be a good margin. I would say that if there is a difference, it would be pretty minor at best. What amps are you comparing to what models? I tried the brownface model through a Brownface Princeton and a Brownface deluxe cab, the Blackface model through a Vibroluxe Reverb cab, and the Blues model through a Fender reissue Bassman cab. Things were surprisingly close especially since in no case was I comparing the real amps to a model of the exact same amp. But with some tweaking, for example, I could get the Brownface model to get very very close to the Brownface Princeton and Deluxe. I didn't note the settings, I'm afraid.

Zen Guitar said:
I do think that it is reasonable to expect to get in the close vicinity of the type of Blackface sounds that are like my Super Reverb and other Blackface Fender amps that I have played, and I do think it reasonable that the other Fender amps simms currently represented in the Axe sound similarly close.
IMO the Axe-Fx already has this capability in spades.

Seeing the magic that Cliff has poured into so many other amp simms, I can't help but feel that his brilliance could breathe greater life into the Fender simms.
"Breathe greater life" is as ambiguous and subjective a phrase as I can imagine. How will we know if "greater life" has been "breathed" into the Fender amp sims? How can you assume that everyone will agree that this "greater life" constitutes an improvement?

However, it has already been discussed that connecting the Axe to a SS power amp (QSC PLX3602) into the real world Fender cabs do not produce satisfactory results
There have been others who disagree with you on that count.

Once again, this is not meant to bash Cliff or his excellent work, but only to request that these amp simms be revisited/revised.
To counter that, I am specifically requesting that these amp sims not be revisited/revised. I use several of them in my presets, and I am now completely satisfied with their sound and feel. Having already had to adapt my presets to several prior firmware revisions, I am not interested in repeating the exercise. My position is that, if you can't find what you want in the box as it now sits (wrt Fender amp sounds), it's either not in there or you're missing something important in your tweaking procedure.

I think it is important to restate that I am not trying to obtain an idealized sound in my head. I am trying to obtain a sound similar to some real world examples of the amplifiers in question.
Same here. I've been successful. I do not want the Fender amp sims to be "improved," because I like them just as they are.

I think this is an important distinction because it is less subjective.
See above. I've got physical examples around for reference, too.

You state that many other users have had no difficulty satisfying themselves with these sounds. I would just point out that many other users feel as I do as well and have had great difficulty here.
I can't take issue with that. I can and do take issue with the idea of further screwing around with the Fender amp sims.

We obviously disagree on this point. I can't say what I think might be causing your problem, because I'm not experiencing it myself.

Zen Guitar said:
Kriig said:

Hi Kriig,

Your thoughts here are totally valid. If you are only after "good tone" then it doesn't matter what path you take to get it or whether or not it is acurate with regards to any real world counterpart.

However, my goal is to use the Axe as a direct recording solution which emulates my real world amps as closely as possible. For me, the desire is to make the sounds in the Axe sound as closely as possible to well recorded tracks done with my real world amps, giving me the same sounds, but with the added convenience of direct recording.

I have my ideal tones. I've spent my life working on my playing and putting together the right equipment. So, I'm looking to replicate sounds that I feel are already perfect rather than create new sounds which are good. Hopefully this makes sense.

So, for me, accuracy is very important. :)

Cheers,
-Matt

You got my point exactly.. Was not aimed at you there. Just the masses ;)

Still: If you´re not happy with the sound, you have the right to say so. The same way we can say how happy we are with the product. It may come constructive things out of the subject. No need to bash each other over this. Different meanings is actually good.. Makes the world move forward. If everyone was happy with the axe as it was, we would be on 1.02 now (maybe).. Not 9.00..

So... For me, this works perfectly... For Matt and at least some others, it works good, but there is room for improvement.

Back
Top Bottom