Fencing with G strings

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
Is it just me or does anyone else find themselves adopting a defensive stance when changing strings and you uncoil a new G string fresh from the packet?

Dunno how many times those buggers have sprung loose and tried to stab me in the eye when least expecting it!

Then again, the G string can be of great help if you have a vocalist who likes to walk around a lot and tramples on your pedalboard .... just leave an inch or so tail sticking out of the G string tuning peg and stab the git in the back of his arm when he nears the exclusion zone.

I've never had a problem unwrapping them or taking them off. The edible ones are nice, but only the strawberry flavour.

Oh hang on.......

Wrong type of string...... My bad! Carry on!!!!! ;)

You should never eat your own G string BigD ... or at least if you do, keep it to yourself ;)

G-strings (any kind) should be pre-stretched so they will never jump into your eye at exactly the wrong time :mrgreen

I close my eyes uncoiling any guitar string actually. Looking forward to finally getting glasses, saving me the effort... ;)

I've tried it but it takes hours to attach the strings to the fence posts. And frankly it doesn't work - the rabbits just squeeze straight through it. Also, it's not particularly cost-effective.

I find the e string is the most dangerous. Especially the little part that sticks out of the tuning peg, I can't count how many times that thing has drawn blood...

Wire nippers might help....plus I find it looks MUCH neater...or you can change the tuners to the planet waves auto trim ones, they're fantastic.
G strings have unwound on me too before...I grasp the string when still coiled in the pack, then shake it outward holding the ball. Never been a problem since.

Practice fast scales over and over until your reflexes allow you grab and uncoiling g string in mid flight or even a fly with a set of chop sticks.

Never happened to me while uncoiling. Only when removing the string from the tuning peg. That little right angle bend there has got way into my skin before.

Back
Top Bottom