Feedback When Recording

tolchocks

Hi guys, just wanting to hear good techniques that will allow me to get the axe create feedback when recording at low volumes (bedroom guitar player here :p).

Greetz

You need gain cranked and enough volume coming out of your speakers to "feed back" into the guitar.

Yeah but I was thinking if there is a way of "optimizing" it... For example, perhaps boosting certain frecuencies post axe fx (not to be recorded) can help create feedback...

You can try a peaking filter block to see if you can hit a resonant frequency of your guitar. Filter block after your CAB block, type = Peaking, and then roll the gain up pretty high and the Q up high so it's not that wide -- then roll the frequency back and forth while you hold the note you want to sustain until you lock it in. You'll need volume, but maybe not as much.

Simeon also had a false feedback patch that was pretty cool you could try: Axe-Change - Download Preset - 24 secs delay - by simeon

Last edited:
That's not true. You can get feedback with headphones. Turn them up all the way and hold them up to your pickups.

That's not true. You can get feedback with headphones. Turn them up all the way and hold them up to your pickups.

So regardless of how loud it is, the fact remains you need a lot of volume to push signal so that it can feedback. Irrespective of headphones or speakers :D

Take a line from the axe and feed it into a small amp (10 W is heaps) about a foot from the guitar pointing straight at it. If there is distortion on the amp kick some of that in too. Don't worry, you aren't recording the little amp; it doesn't have to sound good. Shouldn't need a huge amount of volume to make it take off.
studiopro.jpg

Somethings that will cause feedback at low volumes. Fuzz pedals, these cause self-oscillation with some settings and can give infinite sustain at lower volumes. Ebow or sustainiac. Or Softtube Acoustic Feedback VST plugin.

Under most circumstances, I prefer guitar/amp interaction. Also, different distances from the speaker will change the frequency response of the feedback.

I have not found any magic solution but followed these points recently to get feedback at the lowest volume possible while recording a piece into Reaper:
- make sure noise gate is off (i put a pedal on it to turn it off at the right time).
- send output #2 to any traditional amp/cab set to moderate volume (does not have to be very loud - bedroom level). Put a pedal on output 2 and turn it on only when needed.
- set up a frequency bump at an appropriate spot and turn it on when needed (test to find the right spot beforehand).
- At the point in time where feedback is needed, touch the head stock of your guitar to the traditional cab thats active. This seems to exellerate the generation of feedback (I guess the cab directly resonates into the guitar).
- Once the feedback catches and gets going, move or lightly shake the guitar close to the cab speaker.
- there may be certain locations in your room where feedback can be coaxed more easily (I don't really know the science for this but it seems to work). Note those spots and use them when needed.
- More vibrato and/or shaking whammy bar can coax out feedback to some extent.
- use an e-bow if available.
- as stated above, the more volume the better (sometimes turning up monitors (or frfr speakers) will work but I tend to get sqeals with those as opposed to my mesa cabs which seem to be able to trigger a nice warm feedback), however, using all these techniques I can get feedback in a recording when I need it without playing the whole piece at hi volume thru a mic'd cab.

Last edited:
Hi,

This is just an idea, but I bet it works to some degree...
Get a pair of headphones and put them on the body of your guitar - You may need to have them come from an amp or mixer etc... And have them really loud - They will vibrate the body of the guitar, and give you something for sure :)

[edit]: I should add that you'de need to monitor from a different source than your guitars headphones!

Pauly

Hi guys, just wanting to hear good techniques that will allow me to get the axe create feedback when recording at low volumes (bedroom guitar player here :p).

Greetz

Last edited:

And this is not using volume? It doesn't matter if your volume is coming from a speaker or your headphones, I would like to see you playing though, while holding your cranked headphones in front of your Pickups...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of these puppies –

Vibesware Guitar Feedback Playing

I've never used one, but they look interesting, and seem to do the trick. You'd be able to record silently, using headphones. And the demo at the bottom of the page even uses the Axe-FX!

Looks very cool! Not sure how practical this is in a live situation though. It's a bit like a sustainer pickup or ebow and less like the 'real' high volume type feedback.
Wish they would make a pickup that could sustain chords instead of just one string. Like the Moog guitar has.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of these puppies –

Vibesware Guitar Feedback Playing

I've never used one, but they look interesting, and seem to do the trick. You'd be able to record silently, using headphones. And the demo at the bottom of the page even uses the Axe-FX!

Well thanks for the hint, i think its very practical for recording and some for live. Lower volume means less stringnoise, when bending notes or so..especially while recording. I've just ordered one, juhuh...:pride:

Get the guitar pickups right against a speaker.

Since volume is the easiest way to get musical feedback, shorten the distance between the guitar and speaker as much as possible to boost the SPL the guitar is "seeing".

Back
Top Bottom