Feature Comparison of Standard vs. Ultra

qingcong

Inspired
I'm trying to decide whether to settle for a Standard or wait for a good deal on an Ultra, so in doing a comparison I see that the Standard has 2 parametric and 2 graphic EQs while the Ultra has 4 of each. What exactly is that number representing? That there are 2 or 4 different types of graphic EQs?

There are 4 of the same Graphic Eqs and ParaEQs; all separately controlled.
I "settled" for the Standard. I have occasionally hit the wall on the Standard if I'm running 2 amps in the chain with some effects or more often when downloading other people's patches. If playing in a coverband, I would suggest going with the Ultra. Also I see some patches which are setup as virtual pedal boards. Lots of effects that can be turned on and off via midi foot controller. I believe that setup might be best with an Ultra too

Question:

At what point does an effect "tax" the CPU...is it when the effect is taken out of inventory and placed in the effect chain, or does the CPU usage meter measure the effect once it is engaged? If it is when the effect is actually placed, do shunts also require CPU usage?
If a reasonablly sized effect chain set up as a pedal board would be too much for a Standard...maybe I should really plan on waiting for an Ultra..what do you think? MY typical chain (with a real amp) would have wah, comp, drive,mod, pitch, delay, solo boost/EQ, reverb....is this chain a little more than a standard would accomodate? How about when using onboard amp sims and cab sims?

Question:

At what point does an effect "tax" the CPU...is it when the effect is taken out of inventory and placed in the effect chain, or does the CPU usage meter measure the effect once it is engaged? If it is when the effect is actually placed, do shunts also require CPU usage?
If a reasonablly sized effect chain set up as a pedal board would be too much for a Standard...maybe I should really plan on waiting for an Ultra..what do you think? MY typical chain (with a real amp) would have wah, comp, drive,mod, pitch, delay, solo boost/EQ, reverb....is this chain a little more than a standard would accomodate? How about when using onboard amp sims and cab sims?
Any time an effect is placed in the grid is uses cpu. The standard ought to be handle your signal chain even with the amp/cab sims

Last edited:
The synths put the Ultra ahead of my standard..

Hi,
I'm sure there are other reasons folks prefer the Ultra but the Standard won't cut it for
my needs ( I have both) .

I use the synths for violin, organ and
funky synth stuff for the 70's and 80's tunes we do. ymmv...

Cheers,
Joel

There are 4 of the same Graphic Eqs and ParaEQs; all separately controlled.
I "settled" for the Standard. I have occasionally hit the wall on the Standard if I'm running 2 amps in the chain with some effects or more often when downloading other people's patches. If playing in a coverband, I would suggest going with the Ultra. Also I see some patches which are setup as virtual pedal boards. Lots of effects that can be turned on and off via midi foot controller. I believe that setup might be best with an Ultra too

Okay, so say in the 4x12 matrix, I'm running 4 ins and 4 outs and I want separate graphic EQ on all 4 chains, the standard will only give me the ability to do graphic EQ on 2 of the chains?

Okay, so say in the 4x12 matrix, I'm running 4 ins and 4 outs and I want separate graphic EQ on all 4 chains, the standard will only give me the ability to do graphic EQ on 2 of the chains?

correct, but you would also still have 2 peqs and 2 filters for EQ. Plus each output has a Global GEQ. You can also share the EQ because the Axe-fx does not just have a 4x12 matrix, but a 4x12 stereo matrix. That means you can use one signal chain to carry 2 separate inputs and 2 outputs (unless a mono effects is put in the chain).

Okay, so say in the 4x12 matrix, I'm running 4 ins and 4 outs
No can do in the way it appears you are imagining. There are only two direct inputs to the left side of the matrix, Input 1 left and right. Both left and right channels of Input 1 are always connected to all 4 rows of the matrix. Input 2 left and right are only active if you insert the effects loop, and it can only be placed in a single row.

I see, so then even though there are 4 rows at the input, you only use 2 of them - input 1 L/R?

Kind of. each row (on the first column) gets its input from input 1 l/r. So you have 4 rows each capable of getting a stereo input from input 1 L/R.

You can use all 4 inputs. Input 1 L/R and Input 2 L/R. You access input 2 L/R by placing and fx loop block into the matrix.
If you want four separate effects chains (in through out) the routing can get a bit tricky, but can be done.

Each row is not a separate input. Any thing on the far left column gets its input from input 1 L/R. The last column outputs to output 1 L/R.

The effects loop block is how you interface input 2 L/R and Output 2 L/R. It can be placed anywhere in the grid. You use a feedback send/return to get a separate effects line.

Basically in its own row,

rtn-fx loop-amp2-cab2-rev-snd

Last edited:
While you can have four separate input-to-output chains, that's not how most people use the Axe-FX. Additional rows, when they're used at all, are usually used for sidechains or for tapping the signal somewhere in the middle of a chain to process it in parallel with the main signal chain.

...in doing a comparison I see that the Standard has 2 parametric and 2 graphic EQs while the Ultra has 4 of each. What exactly is that number representing? That there are 2 or 4 different types of graphic EQs?
That means that the Ultra can have up to four parametric EQs per preset. There are no restrictions on where in the preset you put them; for instance, they don't have to be in four separate signal chains.

Kind of. each row (on the first column) gets its input from input 1 l/r. So you have 4 rows each capable of getting a stereo input from input 1 L/R.

You can use all 4 inputs. Input 1 L/R and Input 2 L/R. You access input 2 L/R by placing and fx loop block into the matrix.
If you want four separate effects chains (in through out) the routing can get a bit tricky, but can be done.

Each row is not a separate input. Any thing on the far left column gets its input from input 1 L/R. The last column outputs to output 1 L/R.

The effects loop block is how you interface input 2 L/R and Output 2 L/R. It can be placed anywhere in the grid. You use a feedback send/return to get a separate effects line.

Basically in its own row,

rtn-fx loop-amp2-cab2-rev-snd
I see, that's helpful. So I guess there's some way to specify in the Axe-Fx something like row1 = in/out1 right and row2 = in/out1 left?

That means that the Ultra can have up to four parametric EQs per preset. There are no restrictions on where in the preset you put them; for instance, they don't have to be in four separate signal chains.
You're saying that the EQ can appear 4 times anywhere in the matrix?

I see, that's helpful. So I guess there's some way to specify in the Axe-Fx something like row1 = in/out1 right and row2 = in/out1 left?

You're saying that the EQ can appear 4 times anywhere in the matrix?
correct on the eq 4x anywhere.

no, there is no way to specify row 1 = in/out right, etc.

However you can set the routing up so your can pan a block in row 1 hard right, pan row 2 hard left, etc.
that will isolate the inputs

Back
Top Bottom