FCB1010

Jay Mitchell said:

This is what I was looking for all long - and now I get it and have it programmed no problem.

I have bank 00 for 10 presets (1-10) and bank 01 to toggle 8 different effects.

Yes - I see that the light will only be lit on the last effect activated, and also when toggling more than one at the same time it can get weird (going back to a previously selected effect and hitting it once and then again to turn it off).

In time I will likely upgrade to Un0, but for the time being I don't really have time - I just needed 3 presets and simple stompbox capability. I've been spending a lot of time just getting my amp & cab models and my live configuration using my Bm5a's and practice PA so I'm sure about how I want to run output 2 into my Avatar 2x12 cab (w/ no cab sim) and output 1 (WITH cab sims) into the FOH and stage wedges in stereo. Using out for the first time next Saturday.

Thanks again to everybody - I do appreciate and know it's a pain in the a$$ to help a noob!

Jay Mitchell said:
The guy who I was trying to help here is Sharkdog, and here's what he had to say: "This is what I was looking for all long - and now I get it and have it programmed no problem.... I just needed 3 presets and simple stompbox capability." You did nothing to help him, you only argued with what he was trying to do. And you're not helping anyone by arguing with me.

^ This ^

Look at the trouble I've caused :shock:

As an aside - there was a reason I didn't want to deal with an editor (as many suggested). Once it was explained step for step it was not that hard (at all!) to just manually program what I needed. In fact for what I wanted to do it was easier than the use of an editor would be and I'd have to download this app or that program and learn that. I only need one bank of stomps. I'm not a midi guy - just a dumb guitar player, but I love to learn new stuff (always).

Part 2 - that FCB manual stinks for getting the point across.

Thanks again Jay!

joegold said:
The only thing that bothers me about UnO is that he's made it so that whenever you move one of the Expr Pedals you see a flurry of numbers, controller values, flashing across the LED screen. There's really no need for that, IMO. It's just distracting.

I actually like it. I have a tremolo patch that I use and like it a different speeds for different songs, to mentally bookmark a rough number it fits with the song is cool, especially since I'm fiddling with the rate & would need to bring it back to 'normal' (or switch it off).

You can hear what I'm talking about about the 1:20 mark (you might wanna fast forward to the 1:00 mark to hear whats going on before you see it). I adjust it at the 1:55 mark to the right speed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QivvV7jmc2A

You hear some oscillation from the delay as well, but if I'm facing my cab, I'm fiddling with the rack mount delay.

Hi, I just want to use my "no UNO FCB1010" to control the Looper. Otherwise functionallity (directly select Preset 00-99) is sufficiant for me. Is that possibel - any ideas ?

Cheese

cheese said:
Hi, I just want to use my "no UNO FCB1010" to control the Looper. Otherwise functionallity (directly select Preset 00-99) is sufficiant for me. Is that possibel - any ideas ?

Cheese

See my signature, it still applies, UnO or not.

Anybody have any good wah curve settings that match up nicely with the response of the FCB1010 pedal? I had it working well with the EV5 expression pedal, but now that I've switched over to use the FCB1010 I'm struggling a little bit. :?

guitarded said:

Thanks, but that doesn't really apply here. For the wah in his demo he was using his EV5, which I don't use anymore. I'm more looking for recommendations on setting for the FCB expression pedals. I'm sure eventually I'll get it, I just need time but I know I won't have that much between now and when I'll need it to get it figured out. :( Never enough time to do everything I want. :lol:

mwc2112 said:
Anybody have any good wah curve settings that match up nicely with the response of the FCB1010 pedal? I had it working well with the EV5 expression pedal, but now that I've switched over to use the FCB1010 I'm struggling a little bit. :?

1. Have you calibrated the expression pedals yet on the FCB1010?
I forget the routine for this but it's in the FCB1010 manual.

2. You can adjust the curve of the pedal response in the controller tab of the Wah Block's Frequency parameter.
"Start" "Mid" End".
Using these parameters you be able to get the FCB1010 pedal to feel very close to any other expr pedal you've been using. And then the Axe's wahs that you've previously programmed should "feel" pretty much the same with the FCB as they did before the FCB.

If not then move on to step 3.

3. You can adjust the other parameters of the wah effect to taste.

And that's about all you can do.

Today I assigned EXP1 to the delay volume and EXP2 to Delay Feedback on the FCB1010. Very cool to have realtime adjustments of the FX modifiers. The possiblities are endless. Man, I could tweak the Axe for 8 hours a day.....it's a frikin' black hole. I love having dynamic control of FX when playing live. Something I've missed for a long time using a pedal board.

Hi all, greetings form Australia.

I have a pretty simple question brought up previously in this post. I use a UnO mod FCB, Ripwerx software (though I think its an older version? cant confirm im at work now).

I have programmed the FCB using ripwerx though every time i dump the patches to the FCB, the FCB LCD display goes blank and the unit wont respond to anything (i.e. pressing pedals, etc - seems to switch off). Is that normal? The software will display a popup message along the lines of "2275 butes dumped / sent" which I take as being a "successful dump".

In the Axe I/O Control configuration page, I have assigned the effect bypasses I want to control with stompboxes 6-10 and these work fine.

However:

1) For each patch I have assigned initial On/Off settings in the "stomps" column in Ripwerx. I save my Axe-fx settings to reflect this. When I switch to a patch I would expect that the stomp pedal LEDs will light up / blink out in accord with my programming.
This doesnt happen. As an example, I may be playing on a patch with chorus and drive engaged. I then switch to a patch that I programmed to have only chorus engaged initially but no drive. I still get the sound (i.e. only choris is engaged) but both stomp LEDs (chorus AND drive) are lit. If I want to engage drive in the patch I have to press the drive stomp twice (first to turn off the LED, second to turn back on).
Pretty trivial problem? yeah

2) I am having some trouble controlling parameters using the exp pedals. Input volume is easy, as this parameter is readily available in the I/O control page and I use the "LEARN" function. However, for other parameters such as wah frequency or formant CTRL I understand that these are assigned to external controllers 1-8 (no LEARN function available). So thats what I do. I assign control of say 'Formant CTRL' to EXTNL 2 and in the I/O control page, assign a CC number to EXTRNL 2. In Ripwerx, I assign the same CC number to EXP2. This has only yielded partial results --> When I depress EXP2 nothing will happen (Formant filter / wah is bypassed) until the expression pedal value reaches about 63 (50%) then wah / formant will engage, but will be stuck at start value only, even when fully depressed. I guess this means that my expression pedal 2, in this case, is acting like a "momentary" switch.

HOLD ON..
OK just reading other user patch programming issues in this thread I understand now that I should check the programming by doing a patch dump to ripwerx for review. Thats the first thing I will do when I get home. I hope I havent answered my own question :oops: Im posting anyway - I did to much typing to back out now.

I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have

Hi,

Total noob question here. Never so much as touched a MIDI cable, come from a total plug-and-play background and have only had the Axe-Fx a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking about buying the FCB and have pretty simple needs:

- I want to use the FCB to simply toggle between presets on the Axe. Each preset would already have my desired effects settings programmed, I don't need to be able to switch individual effects on and off (except wah, which I'll come to).

- For the sake of argument, each bank would have 1 song in my set programmed into it. So, in a given bank, switches 1-10 on the FCB would be used to switch between up to 10 different presets on the Axe. Direct Select on the FCB would be deactivated. Let's say that the song in bank 1 actually only requires 2 sounds: a clean tone for verses and a high gain tone for the chorus. I just need to be able to toggle instantly between these 2 sounds with one stomp, I don't want to have to turn switch 1 off in order to activate switch 2. Might sound silly me asking this, but I just want to make sure.

- For the next song I'd then move to bank 2. Maybe in this song there are 10 different Axe presets I need to use, one after the other. Each preset is assigned to switches 1-10 on the FCB and I simply select the switches in ascending order as the song progresses, again with a single stomp.

- Let's say in song 1 above, I sometimes need wah on the clean tone. I want to be able to step on an expression pedal and have the wah activate (i.e. I want no wah when the pedal is in the heel position). Is this possible or would I need to have a separate clean+wah preset assigned to another switch on the FCB?

So would the FCB fulfill these needs for me? Thanks for helping me out :)

BillE said:
So would the FCB fulfill these needs for me? Thanks for helping me out :)

the short answer...yes ;)

the patch switching is a one step process (if i understood correctly)
there is an auto engage function in the axe fx that cen be set to turn the wah off in heel down position and come on when it is moved...It's pretty cool!

Great, thanks for the reply. I will probably give the FCB a trial then. I was all set to get the Voodoo Lab Ground Control, but if I can take care of everything I need, at least at this stage, with the FCB at a fraction of the cost then so much the better.

BillE said:
Great, thanks for the reply. I will probably give the FCB a trial then. I was all set to get the Voodoo Lab Ground Control, but if I can take care of everything I need, at least at this stage, with the FCB at a fraction of the cost then so much the better.
Only thing I wish the FCB1010 had was "click" buttons... I used to have a Line6 FBV and it had those "standard" buttons and I could sit my foot on the button, then when I was ready to click I would just click down... now I don't even want to put my foot on the button cuz I'm not sure whether or not it will change the patch. It's a small adjustment but I got used to it...

After reading this post a couple of weeks ago, I decided to buy the FCB and UNO chip. Installed it yesterday and loaded voes sysx. and BAM!! it's midi time!

Just wanted to thank voes for all the info on his site and on this forum, very HELPFUL!! :D I couldn't have done this without your help and also for the others who chimed in on this particular post.

Now I'm off to programming on Ripwerks!!

Axisman5150 said:
After reading this post a couple of weeks ago, I decided to buy the FCB and UNO chip. Installed it yesterday and loaded voes sysx. and BAM!! it's midi time!

Just wanted to thank voes for all the info on his site and on this forum, very HELPFUL!! :D I couldn't have done this without your help and also for the others who chimed in on this particular post.

Now I'm off to programming on Ripwerks!!

One caveat that may not have been mentioned yet is that most Mac users are some degree of difficulty using the Ripwerx editor.
On my system, PPC processor, OS 10.5.7 it works, but it's *very* slow.
Reducing the number of items visible at any one time helps greatly, but it's still very slow.
I've heard that some Mac users on Intel machines can't run ripwerx at all.

If you're on a PC I think you'll be fine.

And I highly recommend doing the DMV Electronics phantom power mod too.

I have been using the UNO (1.0.2f) for over a year, and I decided to try the all-stomp patch method that Jay is using (even though he doesn't have an UNO chip).

The stomp-box row, specified using RipWerx (12.2.0), works flawlessly. The other row of buttons, which are configured with the same settings (except for CC#s) will toggle on and off, but only if no other button is pressed in between these actions. If I select another button, between, I have to press the original once twice to get it to turn off.

Example:
My RipWerx configured stomp-box row is the bottom one.
I press button 7 (reverb on)
I press button 6 (drive2 on)
I press button 7, again, but the effect is still on, until I press it again.

Using the "MIDI Watch Window", in RipWerx, I see the following:
CC - Cont: 032, Val: 127 on MIDI channel 01
CC - Cont: 031, Val: 127 on MIDI channel 01
CC - Cont: 032, Val: 127 on MIDI channel 01 (I would expect a value of '000', here)
CC - Cont: 032, Val: 000 on MIDI channel 01

So, when a different button is pressed, a button will produce a "127", regardless of the last value it produced, ignoring the "toggle" setting.

Is anyone else using this method--and UNO--seeing this issue?

The work-around to use is that I want to turn off one of these effects, I will have to press the button twice if the button indicator is not on (meaning it was not the last button I pressed).

Thanks,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom