FCB1010 UnO - Instructions for Setting up Scenes & Expression Pedals

Omg, super glad to have found this thread. I'm not getting anywhere with any of the Graphical editors. Ripwerx makes no sense to me and always times out anyway (on mac OR pc), UNO control center always says 'FCB not connected' (when it is connected) and I don't know if that's just because its unregistered or because it doesn't work with my machines, and I'm not keen to spend 30 or 40 bucks to find out it doesn't even work.

The only one I *can* seem to get to work is Ed Dixons graphical FCB editor, which I thought I sorta understood. I created a sysex and transmitted it over to the FCB, but it doesn't do anything to the Axe when I press any of the buttons.

What I'm trying to do is use stompbox mode with the top row of buttons control individual effects and the bottom row change scenes, and then have a wah and volume on the EXP's.

I currently use an HD500 as a controller and HD-edit is intuitive enough and I already know all the CC's I need, but nothing seems to work with the 1010.

I guess what I don't understand is, is there something you have to 'program' to make bank changes (up down) change banks on the Axe-FX? The HD500 just does this natively, so all that you have to do is just put your patches in order from 0-(whatever number) and it just goes through them. The FCB doesn't seem to automatically do this.

I know this thread is dedicated to doing this manually, but my editor does seem to connect, but I feel like I'm just missing some sort of basic concept about how this is done. Any insights?

Last edited:
You can use this as a reference on Ripwerx. It will get you the top row as stomp boxes, bottom row as presets, and volume and wah. Based off voes excellent setup info. The Uno chip I configured was v1.03 which I believe pedals 1-5 could only be assigned presets and maybe that has changed with the latest Uno version? Anyhow for presets had no issues with bank up/down but you only had access to first 90 or so patches in stomp box mode. Good luck!

im still using the axe standard with the fcb1010 using a 2x2 midiman and a midi merge to control and program both devices with the PC .... as the axe II (which i dont have yet) has a USB port for connecting to the PC im not sure how the cabling will look like with the AXEII ... i guess i dont need then the midi merge anymore but still the 2x2 midiman, right ?

Please correct me if im wrong ... i go from fcb --> axeII --> midiman --> fcb

Actually you don't need a midi merger because the FCB has one built in.
You will need a midi interface for the pc to talk to the FCB. And disconnect MIDI to Axe when you're sending programming to the FCB using its merger. The Axe gets funky from the FCB sysex. You can also send smaller files like presets and IRs through the FCB's merger into the Standard. Full firmwares and banks are too large.

With the II of course USB is much faster and easier. I still had the FCB connected which sometimes causes trouble with AE. Nothing irreversible for me.

BTW, Ripwerx is very insightful once you "get" it. Everything you can program on the FCB is in one screen. A bit like a mixing board all the columns and rows have the same functions.
It also has a MIDI-In window that translates the midi into the commands you issue. With Midi-Ox that is still a bit more of a puzzle. SendSX does everything you need, BTW, It's the Midi-Ox In-window stand alone. I think Midi-Ox is overkill for the FCB. Way to much stuff you don't need.

I'm so puzzled that so many people have trouble connecting the FCB to the PC through MIDI. I never had any problem with several laptops, Win versions, Midi interfaces, etc. Even used a $6,- ebay interface. Two, actually but one didn't work. But that one didn't work with anything.

No idea. Sorry.

Actually you don't need a midi merger because the FCB has one built in.
You will need a midi interface for the pc to talk to the FCB. And disconnect MIDI to Axe when you're sending programming to the FCB using its merger. The Axe gets funky from the FCB sysex. You can also send smaller files like presets and IRs through the FCB's merger into the Standard. Full firmwares and banks are too large.

With the II of course USB is much faster and easier. I still had the FCB connected which sometimes causes trouble with AE. Nothing irreversible for me.

BTW, Ripwerx is very insightful once you "get" it. Everything you can program on the FCB is in one screen. A bit like a mixing board all the columns and rows have the same functions.
It also has a MIDI-In window that translates the midi into the commands you issue. With Midi-Ox that is still a bit more of a puzzle. SendSX does everything you need, BTW, It's the Midi-Ox In-window stand alone. I think Midi-Ox is overkill for the FCB. Way to much stuff you don't need.

I'm so puzzled that so many people have trouble connecting the FCB to the PC through MIDI. I never had any problem with several laptops, Win versions, Midi interfaces, etc. Even used a $6,- ebay interface. Two, actually but one didn't work. But that one didn't work with anything.

No idea. Sorry.

thanks but my midi setup with the axe standard and fcb works fine ... my question is regarding to the fxII and the fcb how i have to change my cabling setup in order to still use axe-edit and ripwerx

I have the FCB1010 UNO programed in stompbox mode top row with ripwerks. I am using bottom row for patch changes w/tap tempo and top row for scene changes. Has anyone found a way to change the corresponding leds of the scene buttons to reflect which scene is actually active i.e. scene 2 button 6 led on and no other scene leds on. Change to scene 3 button 7 and led on for only scene 3 . Scene 2 and 4-6 leds off. I have not seen a work around for this except for having only 1 patch per bank but that is not what I need.
Thanks nickxmix

I'm finally set up where I can run stomps on the top row and scenes on the bottom, wah, volume, tuner control, etc, but still have no way to bank up/down.

Any insight to how this needs to be programmed would be super appreciated!

Just to bump this thread - does anyone make a little separate 2 button MIDI controller that mimics the functionality of the HD500's ability to increment the first 100 patches up/down? At this point I'd be willing to add a device to do it if my controller can't.

It's been a few years since you posted this, Ross.
A serious amout of work, I must say :)

I'm now have an axe-fx XL, a FCB1010 with UNO chip, and a mac....so ripwerx doesn't work for me either.

I would like a really easy setup, but I can't get my head around this.
Could you please be so kind to tell me how to go about setting up:
I.e. patch 00 Scenes 1-8 on switches 1-8, 9 (activate whammy) 10 tuner, volume on pedal 1, wah on pedal 2, then the same on let's say patch 01, 02 etc.
That's it.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi, I use the Eureka chip. If you want a plug and play option with the FCB and XL,you might want to consider this option[video]http://www.eurekasound.com/eurekaprom/fa[/video]:geek

Hmmm, that seems to me like two things that wouldn't work together. Typically you can have stompbox mode on or off, and the other 5 are for patch changes when stompbox is on. I can't see how on the FCB with UnO you could do what you are describing. I don't know the Eureka chip, maybe that could help. The only way I could see getting near it working would be with stompbox mode on is if you put in two values on the scene change buttons so that on the second press it switches to another scene for you, so you could have button 6 switch to scene 1 on first press, and 2 on the second, then on button 7 cover scene 3 and 4, button 8 cover 5 and 6. As far as activating the whammy, why don't you leave it active, but have it switch on or off based on whether the pedal position changes? That auto-activate would save you a button. Also, the tuner can be activated and deactivated by a second press of the preset switch if you follow the instructions I gave. The simplest approach I could see would be to do the following:

1-5, preset changes (and tuner toggle on second press)
6 - scene1
7 - scene2
8 - scene3 (second press scene6)
9 - scene4 (second press scene7)
0 - scene5 (second press scene8)

I found with the double press scene setup it was confusing, but I tend to use the first three scenes in the preset most often. Hopefully those thoughts help.

Hmmm, that seems to me like two things that wouldn't work together. Typically you can have stompbox mode on or off, and the other 5 are for patch changes when stompbox is on. I can't see how on the FCB with UnO you could do what you are describing. I don't know the Eureka chip, maybe that could help. The only way I could see getting near it working would be with stompbox mode on is if you put in two values on the scene change buttons so that on the second press it switches to another scene for you, so you could have button 6 switch to scene 1 on first press, and 2 on the second, then on button 7 cover scene 3 and 4, button 8 cover 5 and 6. As far as activating the whammy, why don't you leave it active, but have it switch on or off based on whether the pedal position changes? That auto-activate would save you a button. Also, the tuner can be activated and deactivated by a second press of the preset switch if you follow the instructions I gave. The simplest approach I could see would be to do the following:

1-5, preset changes (and tuner toggle on second press)
6 - scene1
7 - scene2
8 - scene3 (second press scene6)
9 - scene4 (second press scene7)
0 - scene5 (second press scene8)

I found with the double press scene setup it was confusing, but I tend to use the first three scenes in the preset most often. Hopefully those thoughts help.

Thanks for your reply, Ross!

Okay, so in short, nothing major has changes since your original post in 2012 :)
I will try to read your original post with a bit more attention one more time then, and see if I get it.
And I have to drop my dream of having access to all 8 scenes 1-8, and do something more traditional.
Would this be possible then:
1-5 (presets)
6-9 (scenes)
0 (tap tempo)
And then I don't know how to solve the tuner problem. When you say "toggle on second press", does that mean that I can step on, let's say 1 (when I'm using 1 as a preset), and get the tuner function, then step on it one more time to go back to "sound 1"? If so, that would be great. But if I have to keep pressing it to get the tuner to show, it won't work. The Axe-fx is usually to far away from my pedal board.

Appreciate your answers a lot!

Best,
Ken

You are in luck, the setup you mention here is exactly how I had mine set up. As far as the tuner piece, you can actually set it up either to only have the tuner on while you are holding the button down, or to be able to switch it on and off with separate presses of the button. I had mine set to turn on and off with two button presses.

As far as whether or not the tuner mutes the output, that is an option you set on the axe-fx, so you can have the sound come through when the tuner is on or not. I had mine set to mute, so as you said above, after selecting a preset (let's say 3), if you press the button again, then the tuner is activated and output is muted, and then you would press 3 again to turn off the tuner, and it would unmute.

Also, if you read just the first post I put up, it wouldn't set up the tuner piece. In post #20 I gave a refined set of instructions that has the tuner switch on and off with separate presses of the preset button, which it appears you want. I set the tap-tempo button on pedal 0 later, I'll see if I posted it in the thread and re-post it here for you. But for now, here is a re-post of what I had in #20, which should get you set with everything but the tap tempo.

OK, so I've been able to refine this more if you would rather be able to switch the tuner on and off instead of having to hold the button down. If you would rather do it that way, and the program is already working like I had it set up before, here is how to modify it - after this, I'll paste an updated step by step to do it this way for a blank patch:

To modify a patch already allowing use of holding down the program button to show the tuner to allow it to be turned on and off:

1. Select the patch in question.
2. Hold the DOWN button to enter edit mode.
3. On the first "screen" only buttons 4 and 5 should be lit (meaning you are activating the expression pedals, but leaving the other stomp boxes unchanged - if you had them lit, you would end up at scene 5 because it would send the CC values for each of those in order)
4. Press UP to move to screen 2
5. On this screen, where we before had it set to have no lights lit, press pedal 8 to make the light above pedal 8 light up (this switches the CC1 message from momentary to toggle, this is a key element of making it switchable) - so only pedal 8 should be turned on
6. Press UP to move to the final screen
7. On this screen, tap pedal 6 so it blinks
8. Press UP
9. If it isn't already showing 15 (tuner), then use the buttons so the display shows 15
10. Press UP
11. For the first value set 0 (this means the tuner is off when you switch into the patch, if you did 127 here, it would turn the tuner on immediately when you switch into the patch)
12. Press UP
13. For the second value set 127 (this means the second time you press the button, it turns on the tuner - one more and it sends the initial value, turning it back off)
14. Press UP
15. Hold DOWN to save your changes and exit edit mode

That should be it if you prefer it that way.

And now, to consolidate what we've learned in order to not confuse anyone joining in later, I'll give an updated consolidated set of instructions for setting the Programs which adds in the ability to turn on and off the tuner by pressing the same program button that was used to select the patch. There is no need to rehash the stompbox setup, because that is the same. So here we go:

**** Programs - Which are different for each one in essence, but we are going to set every one the same here for our use: ****
First, select the patch you want to do your configuration on (here we'll say we're at bank 00, pedal 1)

1. Press and hold DOWN for about 2.5 seconds
2. On this first page, make sure only 4 and 5 are lit, if not, light them and turn the others off - move forward (the stompboxes definitely need to be off to avoid starting on a scene other than scene 1)
NOTE: If the Switch One (1) or Switch Two (2) lights are on up top, turn them off at the pedals, turn 3 on, and do a quick double tap on it, then long press to turn it off
3. Press UP to move to the next screen
4. Make sure only light 8 is on here (to make the CC1 a toggle instead of momentary switch) if not, make it so - move forward
5. Press UP to move to the final screen
6. Here, we want pedals 1, 6, 8, and 9 lit (because we're going to do one PC message, one CC, and both expression pedals) anything else, turn off
7. To program pedal 1, tap it so it starts blinking
8. Press UP to set which program you are choosing (this is the patch # on the Axe-FX you want) here we are doing patch 1, so type that
9. Press UP to save the changes and the light stops blinking
10. Tap pedal 6 so it starts blinking
11. Press UP to set the CC it is sending - we want 15 for all the patches (Tuner)
12. Press UP to set the initial value - we want 0 (so the tuner doesn't turn on when you switch in, it does so only when you want it)
13. Press UP to set the secondary value - we want 127 here (so that the tuner turns on when you press the button the second time)
14. Press UP to save the changes and the light stops blinking
15. Tap pedal 8 so it starts blinking
16. Press UP to set the CC it is sending - we want 17 for all the patches (External 2)
17. Press UP to set the lowest value - we want 00 (use expression pedal A to set it if it isn't already there)
18. Press UP to set the highest value - we want 127 here (use expression pedal A to set it)
19. Press UP to save the changes and the light stops blinking
15. Tap pedal 9 so it starts blinking
16. Press UP to set the CC it is sending - we want 10 for all the patches (Input Volume)
17. Press UP to set the lowest value - we want 00 (use expression pedal A to set it if it isn't already there)
18. Press UP to set the highest value - we want 127 here (use expression pedal A to set it)
20. Press DOWN to go back one screen - only light 8 should be on
21. Press DOWN to go back into the first screen
22. You'll see lights 1, 2, 4, and 5 on
23. Press pedal 2 to turn its light off
24. Press pedal 3 to turn its light on
25. Now double tap pedal 3 so that it turns off the Switch 2 LED on the top
26. Press pedal 3 to turn its light off
27. Press pedal 1 to turn its light off
28. Hold DOWN to save the patch

OK, that should get you to a place where the FCB program switches to the patch you want, sets expression A (left) to external 2, sets expression B (right) to control input volume, and sets the program select button turn on the tuner when you press it a second time.

Hopefully that clarifies it. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can provide a better explanation.

Also, if you read just the first post I put up, it wouldn't set up the tuner piece. In post #20 I gave a refined set of instructions that has the tuner switch on and off with separate presses of the preset button, which it appears you want. I set the tap-tempo button on pedal 0 later, I'll see if I posted it in the thread and re-post it here for you. But for now, here is a re-post of what I had in #20, which should get you set with everything but the tap tempo.

OK, so I've been able to refine this more if you would rather be able to switch the tuner on and off instead of having to hold the button down. If you would rather do it that way, and the program is already working like I had it set up before, here is how to modify it - after this, I'll paste an updated step by step to do it this way for a blank patch:

To modify a patch already allowing use of holding down the program button to show the tuner to allow it to be turned on and off:

1. Select the patch in question.
2. Hold the DOWN button to enter edit mode.
3. On the first "screen" only buttons 4 and 5 should be lit (meaning you are activating the expression pedals, but leaving the other stomp boxes unchanged - if you had them lit, you would end up at scene 5 because it would send the CC values for each of those in order)
4. Press UP to move to screen 2
5. On this screen, where we before had it set to have no lights lit, press pedal 8 to make the light above pedal 8 light up (this switches the CC1 message from momentary to toggle, this is a key element of making it switchable) - so only pedal 8 should be turned on
6. Press UP to move to the final screen
7. On this screen, tap pedal 6 so it blinks
8. Press UP
9. If it isn't already showing 15 (tuner), then use the buttons so the display shows 15
10. Press UP
11. For the first value set 0 (this means the tuner is off when you switch into the patch, if you did 127 here, it would turn the tuner on immediately when you switch into the patch)
12. Press UP
13. For the second value set 127 (this means the second time you press the button, it turns on the tuner - one more and it sends the initial value, turning it back off)
14. Press UP
15. Hold DOWN to save your changes and exit edit mode

That should be it if you prefer it that way.

And now, to consolidate what we've learned in order to not confuse anyone joining in later, I'll give an updated consolidated set of instructions for setting the Programs which adds in the ability to turn on and off the tuner by pressing the same program button that was used to select the patch. There is no need to rehash the stompbox setup, because that is the same. So here we go:

**** Programs - Which are different for each one in essence, but we are going to set every one the same here for our use: ****
First, select the patch you want to do your configuration on (here we'll say we're at bank 00, pedal 1)

1. Press and hold DOWN for about 2.5 seconds
2. On this first page, make sure only 4 and 5 are lit, if not, light them and turn the others off - move forward (the stompboxes definitely need to be off to avoid starting on a scene other than scene 1)
NOTE: If the Switch One (1) or Switch Two (2) lights are on up top, turn them off at the pedals, turn 3 on, and do a quick double tap on it, then long press to turn it off
3. Press UP to move to the next screen
4. Make sure only light 8 is on here (to make the CC1 a toggle instead of momentary switch) if not, make it so - move forward
5. Press UP to move to the final screen
6. Here, we want pedals 1, 6, 8, and 9 lit (because we're going to do one PC message, one CC, and both expression pedals) anything else, turn off
7. To program pedal 1, tap it so it starts blinking
8. Press UP to set which program you are choosing (this is the patch # on the Axe-FX you want) here we are doing patch 1, so type that
9. Press UP to save the changes and the light stops blinking
10. Tap pedal 6 so it starts blinking
11. Press UP to set the CC it is sending - we want 15 for all the patches (Tuner)
12. Press UP to set the initial value - we want 0 (so the tuner doesn't turn on when you switch in, it does so only when you want it)
13. Press UP to set the secondary value - we want 127 here (so that the tuner turns on when you press the button the second time)
14. Press UP to save the changes and the light stops blinking
15. Tap pedal 8 so it starts blinking
16. Press UP to set the CC it is sending - we want 17 for all the patches (External 2)
15. Tap pedal 9 so it starts blinking
16. Press UP to set the CC it is sending - we want 10 for all the patches (Input Volume)
20. Press DOWN to go back one screen - only light 8 should be on
21. Press DOWN to go back into the first screen
22. You'll see lights 1, 2, 4, and 5 on
23. Press pedal 2 to turn its light off
24. Press pedal 3 to turn its light on
25. Now double tap pedal 3 so that it turns off the Switch 2 LED on the top
26. Press pedal 3 to turn its light off
27. Press pedal 1 to turn its light off
28. Hold DOWN to save the patch

OK, that should get you to a place where the FCB program switches to the patch you want, sets expression A (left) to external 2, sets expression B (right) to control input volume, and sets the program select button turn on the tuner when you press it a second time.

Hopefully that clarifies it. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can provide a better explanation.

Thanks Ross!
This is basically (almost) as far I got last night, with the control center application.
However the same problems.
When selecting scenes all the leds are on, so it's mayhem guessing which one is active after some stomping.
Secondly, the tap tempo seems to pick up "tap 1" pressing the switch, and "tap 2" releasing the switch, instead of normal tap-tap on the every 4th of the bar.

No way around these issues?

best,
Ken

Hey,

I'm trying to set up my FCB1010 Uno in stompbox mode with the top row as patch changes, and the bottom row as stomp boxes to do the scene changes. While I've managed to get this to work, for some reason the lights on the bottom row don't behave like they do if use the normal configuration of stomp boxes on top row.

Basically, the scene changes happen, but the lights on the buttons just toggle, making it really hard to know at a glance what scene I'm currently on.

I can get this working perfectly if I reverse it back to use top row as stomp boxes, but I personally find it easier to step on the bottom row than the top, and as I'll be making way more presses each song as I change scenes, it makes sense to have them on the bottom row.

Hope someone can help, as it's really doing my head in.

Hi all, can others also confirm that programing without UNO chip can achieve the correct scene led changes in top row stomp box mode. With the Uno chip it can't be done.
I might go back to standard unit without the UNO chip if this is really the case, because having to remember which scene I'm on is confusing and difficult. I need to limit my scenes.
Cheers nickxmix

Thread Resurrect!! *insert thunderclap*

Seems I am late to the party here but I am looking to do the exact same thing that you guys have done here with my FCB. Patch change 1-5 (with tap tempo) & Scene change 6-10. I have seen a bunch of you asking about how to get the LEDs to stay right when changing scenes and I just had a thought on it... hopefully it works this way.

What if stomp box mode was not enabled, this would give these the exact same options as the bottom row then. Is it then possible to just disable the PC command for the top row, put the proper cc# and value in for the scene and then use the check boxes at the end to tell it which of the top buttons should be on when that button it pressed? Unless those check boxes only work with stomp box mode enabled. Or have you guys found another work around to get those LEDs to show the properly.

Back
Top Bottom