FCB1010 broken???

So I have been trying to figure out all of this MIDI/FCB1010/AxFx mess today. Trying to see how the pedal works. I notice that every single thing on the FCB sends a signal to the axfx/midisport 2x2, EXCEPT, the 2nd expression pedal(the pedal all the way at the end). There IS the red light on still, but when I move it, no signal going through to anything. I took the back off, to install the Uno chip, looked at the wires, they were fastened good enough, it seemed. Is there something that I need to turn on, or did I get ripped off by the seller on Ebay?

I had a problem with the 2nd exp pedal of my FCB1010 when I first got it...similar symptoms. Turned out that each of the expression pedals has a plastic strip that slides freely through a slit in the case housing and the plastic strip is read by optics of the pedal. On my pedal, the plastic strip had popped out of the slit in the case and was not being read by the sensor. I needed to open the case and re-feed the plastic strip through the slit. Don't know if this is what ails your unit, but thought I'd throw that out there as a possibility.

I see what you're talking about witht eh plastic strips but have deduced that that is not the problem since I plugged the 2nd pedal(the non working one) wire into the 1st pedal slot and still nothing from those wires. I dunno....

If you plugged the second pedal into the other slot and still got nothing, that's a strong indication that mesaboog may have nailed the problem. Check that optical strip.

If you plugged the second pedal into the other slot and still got nothing, that's a strong indication that mesaboog may have nailed the problem. Check that optical strip.

I meant that I unplugged both leads, going to both optical interfaces(?), and the optical interface that I know works did NOT work with the second(suspect) set of pedal lead wires. Both appear to be the same sort of connection, 3 pin. Now, I cannot plug the working lead wire set into the far optical interface because the wire is not long enough to reach. I hope this is making sense, it's been a long day lol

I think I get it: you swapped pedal leads, and the problem didn't follow the pedal. Is that right?

I think I get it: you swapped pedal leads, and the problem didn't follow the pedal. Is that right?

Yes. thats it. So as it stands, the lead going to the non working pedal has the capability to light up the red light, but not control anything. As I said before, I had just replaced the factory eprom to an Uno eprom. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I might swap them out just to see if that does anything, doubt it though.

Is the second pedal enabled in each preset and is it on the right MIDI channel?

By all accounts it is. On the ripwerx the exb B and exp A boxes are checked. And on the layout of everything it has it's own number and everything that is checked on the working pedal (ExpA) is checked on ExpB, but with different values of course. You know on the FCB1010 when you hit a button or adjust the expression pedal, the MIDI light will blink on the axfx? Well it blinks for everything except expression pedal B.

Sounds like something maybe dorked up then. I'm curious to see what happens with the factory EPROM, though I'm personally not optimistic. It was definitely working prior to the upgrade?

Sounds like something maybe dorked up then. I'm curious to see what happens with the factory EPROM, though I'm personally not optimistic. It was definitely working prior to the upgrade?

I honestly could not answer whether it worked before or not, but I do know that I swapped out the Uno chip back to the factory chip, and have the same problem, that's the bad news. The worse news is that while fooling around with the inside, I broke the wire leads going to the faulty expression pedal off of the main circuit board itself, now I am screwed. The douchbagging seller on ebay has not reponded yet and clearly stated "No returns" before the sale. I'm going to try to see if Behringer can hook something up, not sure if this thing is still under warranty or not, but putting that chip in automatically VOIDED any possible warranty anyway, I'm pretty sure. Hopefully if I send it in, someone there is having a good day and just decides to skip the paperwork and ship me out a new one. Ok, I'll stop dreaming now :/

Well unless you tell them that the chip was swapped out and put the old one back in I don't see how they'd know. It's a stupid policy anyway since they clearly make it so the chip can be swapped and even used to offer upgraded firmwares until they came up with their final version of it.

Where are you located? It wouldn't be hard to solder those leads back onto the board for anyone with some soldering experience. I've dug into mine and hacked it all up and it's pretty friendly in terms of not having any small surface mount components and stuff.

Oh and if it was defective (which swapping the chip out will under no circumstances cause the pedal to malfunction) the seller can't refuse a refund. There's a difference between "I didn't like the color of it" and "it doesn't frickin' work" and PayPal will get you your money back. That's part of the protection policies that the buyer's have on e-Bay. Now if he's aware of you opening it up chances are it'll take some convincing that the chip is in fact a user serviceable part (which it is).

shasha,

I'm in Columbus,OH. I could surely find someone to solder the leads back, but the pedal problem would still not be fixed. I just don't know about taking it somewhere and pay upwards of 100 to have it fixed. I mean, for 140, I could get a brand new one. I sent Behringer the request, they sent me an email saying that they would like a copy of the original receipt, so I am waiting on the seller to get that to me, as he/she finally contacted me back.

And yes, telling Behringer or that seller that I swapped a chip out probably wouldn't help my case, though you have a point, I can't see any way that installing an uno chip would of done that.

Was the firmware chip sealed on with hot glue? You can get that stuff off pretty well and reapply it.

I'm thinking if you can tear the leads off that easily they may not have been soldered on too well in the first place. That could have been the problem in the first place. 99% of electronics problems is simply stuff not being soldered well.

BTW, you can see if the foil strip is in place or not from the outside, rock the pedal heel down and look from the front. It slides between the two metal stands.

Update:

I have been in contact with the seller and they have agreed to give me a full refund.

Also, I have ordered a brand new FCB. $142.99 shipped, and I will have an actual warrenty. I could get it cheaper some other way, sure, but I just want a damn pedal that works. Thanks for all the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom