FC-12 /FC-6 Questions

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
Q1) Do the foot controllers come with a power supply? - the product page didn't say

Q2) Considering the fact someone would buy the Axe-Fx iii to eliminate their bulky pedalboard (unless they're filthy rich); --- any suggestions on powering it with the least number of cords involved aka the least sprawl?

I looked at the back of the FC-12 and FC-6; considering the foot controller doesn't have an expression pedal it would have been nice to offer a 9V pass through for a separate expression pedal. I realize it would extend the functionality beyond just an Axe-Fx foot controller, however - thinking about the Axe-Fx iii as "completely replacing" most traditional pedalboard rigs - means support for an expression pedal. I already have to run an XLR cable out to the foot controller, and of course a power supply and needing a separate expression pedal means yet another power supply -- AAaarrrgggggh - S P R A W L

[Yes, for the price of this thing I want it all; and I want it in the most convenient, easy to transport and easy use package and the fact that the AX8 exists shows that other musicians in the marketplace want the same thing]

Q3) Considering you have to rack mount the Axe-Fx iii, and that one would likely get a power conditioner (like a Furman or something similar) to protect this expensive investment -- does anyone know of a rack mounted conditioner that provides a 9V output?? This would slightly help reduce the overall number of cords.

Q4) Any chance Fractal will come out with a pedalboard box for the Axe-Fx iii something like the AX8?

Still Undecided in CBus

I can't answer ALL but ...

1. Yes
2. Why do you need 9V for an expression pedal? Most of those on the market today do not require a power supply. If you use the AxeIII, all you need is one XLR from the III to the FC and 1 TRS to the expression pedal from the FC.

3. If you implement the answer above you don't need that.
4. No data.

Don’t know about powering the FC. But I doubt you will need extra power for expression pedals. At least the expression pedals I’m familiar with doesn’t need a power supply. I haven’t needed more than a simple trs patch cable.

Pretty sure expression pedals/continuous controllers (like a wah) can be plugged directly into FCx. Also believe that for one instance of an FCx, power is through the main FASlink2 cord.

Re: power conditioning and 9 volts ... that sounds like a non-FAS issue.

Hi,
Q1) Do the foot controllers come with a power supply? - the product page didn't say

Q2) Considering the fact someone would buy the Axe-Fx iii to eliminate their bulky pedalboard (unless they're filthy rich); --- any suggestions on powering it with the least number of cords involved aka the least sprawl?

I looked at the back of the FC-12 and FC-6; considering the foot controller doesn't have an expression pedal it would have been nice to offer a 9V pass through for a separate expression pedal. I realize it would extend the functionality beyond just an Axe-Fx foot controller, however - thinking about the Axe-Fx iii as "completely replacing" most traditional pedalboard rigs - means support for an expression pedal. I already have to run an XLR cable out to the foot controller, and of course a power supply and needing a separate expression pedal means yet another power supply -- AAaarrrgggggh - S P R A W L

[Yes, for the price of this thing I want it all; and I want it in the most convenient, easy to transport and easy use package and the fact that the AX8 exists shows that other musicians in the marketplace want the same thing]

Q3) Considering you have to rack mount the Axe-Fx iii, and that one would likely get a power conditioner (like a Furman or something similar) to protect this expensive investment -- does anyone know of a rack mounted conditioner that provides a 9V output?? This would slightly help reduce the overall number of cords.

Q4) Any chance Fractal will come out with a pedalboard box for the Axe-Fx iii something like the AX8?

Still Undecided in CBus
The FC is powered via FASLink II. No need for a power supply unless daisy chaining. So, my guess is none supplied... But I don't know.

I am not aware of any expression pedals that require power. They are usually passive.

I've never seen a power conditioner with 9v connectors, most likely because the typical user doesn't have 9v equipment in a rack. When I did, I had a full tray of pedals, which included a Voodoo Lab PedalPower: 1 AC cable from power conditioner to PP in the tray, multiple DC cables from PP to other pedals.

If you want to address eliminating cables between rack and pedal board, check out the PedalSnake, which is a modular "snake" that works really well for that.

Your making many assumptions about what you need and how stuff works that are not correct

The FC’s are powered over a single XLR cable, which also transfers data. One cord ease of use, minimal clutter

I’ve never seen an expression pedal that needs 9v. Everyone I own is passive. Plug it into one of the 4 ports with a TRS cable, put it where you want it in terms of angle, right or left side etc, and your done. That single XLR is still all you need.

Thanks for all the answers - it sounds like extra cables aren't needed - Good News!!

So the Fastlink II - actually powers the foot controller - SWEET

I have a Lehle volume pedal that requires a 9V power, and I know that the expression pedals are a different creature

An aside here; if you’ve not tried an FAS expression pedal, you might want to try one - butter smooth! Comes in 2 sizes.

Thanks - I saw the FA pedals online

To be honest, since I'm a violin player, I've been searching for an extremely stiff pedal - one that requires serious [insert torque numbers] pressure to move it. EVERY pedal that I've tried moves soooOOOooo easily which means it requires a "learned" muscle control to press or move it to a certain point. I've tried a bunch and when I want to move the pedal just a little, I end up moving it more than intended because it moves so easily, and I don't have the "learned muscle control" down.

I have a Lehle volume pedal that requires a 9V power, and I know that the expression pedals are a different creature

Unless it includes a boost, most likely the only reason for power is to light an LED or something. Volume pedals are almost always passive, and usually do not require a battery.

To be honest, since I'm a violin player, I've been searching for an extremely stiff pedal - one that requires serious [insert torque numbers] pressure to move it. EVERY pedal that I've tried moves soooOOOooo easily which means it requires a "learned" muscle control to press or move it to a certain point. I've tried a bunch and when I want to move the pedal just a little, I end up moving it more than intended because it moves so easily, and I don't have the "learned muscle control" down.
If you want precision, then really you want something with a large "sweep" that is very linear and smooth. Having to exert a lot of pressure would probably make it less accurate.

I haven't used the EV series pedals, but many here describe them how I just did. I think they may also have an adjustment for stiffness.

The FC is powered via FASLink II. No need for a power supply unless daisy chaining. So, my guess is none supplied... But I don't know.

I am not aware of any expression pedals that require power. They are usually passive.

I've never seen a power conditioner with 9v connectors, most likely because the typical user doesn't have 9v equipment in a rack. When I did, I had a full tray of pedals, which included a Voodoo Lab PedalPower: 1 AC cable from power conditioner to PP in the tray, multiple DC cables from PP to other pedals.

If you want to address eliminating cables between rack and pedal board, check out the PedalSnake, which is a modular "snake" that works really well for that.

My Mission Pedal needs a 9v, but that is only to power the toe switch led light. If the battery dies or is never used the only thing that happens is no led light.

Hi,

Still Undecided in CBus
the FC Page describes how the FC is powered by the Axe-Fx III via the XLR cable (FASlink connection).

expression pedals don't typically need power. so just a short TRS cable from the FC to the Pedal.

so just 1 cable from the Axe to the FC, and one short cable from the FC to the Pedal.

since I'm a violin player, I've been searching for an extremely stiff pedal

can you describe how being a violin player benefits from a stiff pedal? we can suggest things if we understand why/what you need.

You might not actually want an expression pedal in the typical sense, but, might have better luck with something like a piano style sustain pedal. You can program it so that it changes from a starting value, to an end value, and you can also program how long it takes to make that change. So, you could for example, have it go from a value of 40, to an end value of 80, and it could do this over 2 seconds, or half a second etc.

I actually use this technique far more than my real expression pedals these days, even with things like wah. Instead of wearing my leg out with the pedal travel needed for some fast wah action, I set up a momentary switch where it goes for 0-127 over about 1/4th a second, and just tap my foot in time, which is far easier to do when sitting down while playing. I've got a real exp pedal also programmed so I do have that option as well, but I find so many times what I use an EXP pedal for it just to smooth transition for one setting to another, with known end points, so basically all I use the pedal for is the same as a switch could do, and it frees up a lot of room

Rotary block speed is another good example. I don't really ever stop in between the start and end points with an EXP pedal, I just want to go from slow to fast speeds, and with a little dampening, you tap the pedal, and it ramps up to the fast speed, just like the real spinning horn used to do. With the real EXP pedal I also never wanted the speed at 0, so I was already dialing in the minimum value and the fastest speed I wanted, and while the pedal gives me a little more range to go from those settings over the full travel, if your just wanting the end points, pedal may not be the best solution.

Pedal torque/tension is adjustable on EV-1 and EV-2.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/ev-1/EV-1_Product-Guide.PDF

Regarding Q1 - the foot controllers do NOT come with a power supply. (This is different from the MFC-101 days, so I confirmed with support... no PS provided.)

Back
Top Bottom