Favorite stock cab for Plexi JM45Brit Marshall tones?

I play classic rock, mostly edge of breakup/medium gain settings. I've been using the York Audio Hiwatt 4x12 Fred mix with good results, but was wondering what others are using.

Last edited:
What do the letters designate? E.g., 57 GB A, B, C etc...I seem to remember it being mic distance and the lower the letter, the closer the mic is to the speaker. Also what would be the tonal difference between the letters?

What do the letters designate? E.g., 57 GB A, B, C etc...I seem to remember it being mic distance and the lower the letter, the closer the mic is to the speaker. Also what would be the tonal difference between the letters?
Position, so not just distance, but also where they point at the cone

Yep. On and Off Axis too. Some are even different speakers in the same cab. Generic letters were chosen so people would pick cabs with their ears instead of their eyes.

Like @simeon said, GB = Greenback, numbers represent the numerical mic design (for example, SM57, Royer 121, etc.). A, B, C, D, etc, designate location of mic placement, usually distance. Other designations (R, Off-Axis, etc.) also mean mic location (rear, off-axis of cone, etc).

Used to be a fan of the 4x12 Pre-Rola Greenbacks, enjoying the Rumble 4x12s more often for non-Marshall amps...

Good old 'Legacy' #103, or 'Legacy' #132.

103 is the winner. The York Audio Hiwatt 4x12 Fred mix is very, very close to it but has a bit more upper mid 'sizzle' to the overdrive that is eliminated with the 103. I tried both 131 and 132 and they were both good, too.

Back
Top Bottom