Favorite plugins for post production and how do you use them ?

danielworks

Inspired
I used Waves plugins and PSP audioware since forever. Last week I tried UAD plugins and completely forgot about Waves.
Yesterday I tried some Plugin Alliance stuff and I liked it more than UAD.
I had some different Lexicon racks and PSP42 stills my favourite delay plugin.
The Focusrite plugin of Brainworks its my first choice to almost everything.

Brainworx bx_console Focusrite SC - Plugin Alliance

So far, these are my favorite plugins until now:

PSP Lexicon PSP42 - PSP AUDIOWARE | Delay

PSP VintageWarmer​

Tape Plugin | Kramer Master Tape - Waves Audio​

Abbey Road Vinyl Plugin - Waves Audio

And these are my favourites from Plugin Alliance:

1704723549804.png

Attachments

• 1704723816831.png
    1704723816831.png
    545 bytes · Views: 10
I used Waves plugins and PSP audioware since forever. Last week I tried UAD plugins and completely forgot about Waves.
Yesterday I tried some Plugin Alliance stuff and I liked it more than UAD.
I had some different Lexicon racks and PSP42 stills my favourite delay plugin.
The Focusrite plugin of Brainworks its my first choice to almost everything.

View attachment 132776

So far, these are my favorite plugins until now:

PSP Lexicon PSP42 - PSP AUDIOWARE | Delay

PSP VintageWarmer

Tape Plugin | Kramer Master Tape - Waves Audio

Abbey Road Vinyl Plugin - Waves Audio

And these are my favourites from Plugin Alliance:

View attachment 132774

The BX consoles - all of them - are excellent for tracking.

However for mixing I use a lot of Acustica Audio (to include Nebula), UAD and a smattering of a few others (SSL native, PSP, etc)

I try to use as few plugins as possible, mainly to force myself to really learn how to use them. Everything by Fabfilter is a must-buy in my opinion. I also keep the Neve 1073 plugin running on my UA interface at all times, even set totally flat it does a subtle thing to guitar sounds that I like.

Fabfilter EQ. At first I was like ”why would I pay for an EQ, every daw has it already”, but boy was I wrong. The most used plugin in any mix and with so much better user experience and options, totally worth it.

Fabfilter, Nugen Paragon for reverb, but I mostly stick to the stock Cubendo plugins because they're neat

Sonible has replaced most of my FabFilter plugins. I use SSL channel strip and bus comp in their 360 software. I use Soundtoys for all the colors (delay, plate verb, etc.) my main reverb is the Seventh heaven Bricasti sim.

Although I own MANY third party plugins I keep coming back to Reaper and its stock plugins.
I spend more now on synth VSTi plugins and effect tools (Infiltrator2, Dawsome Love, Transit, UVI and Arturia FX bundle, etc.) than I do on mixing/mastering.

Sonible has replaced most of my FabFilter plugins. I use SSL channel strip and bus comp in their 360 software. I use Soundtoys for all the colors (delay, plate verb, etc.) my main reverb is the Seventh heaven Bricasti sim.
I just started using the SSL stuff because I had been a Slate subscriber and we were brought into the SSL fold. Good stuff (the 4000 B console is a gem) and the 360 workflow is excellent.

Hadn't heard of Seventh Heaven, thanks.

Not sure I really have a need for yet another verb, but the Bricasti is so well respected, I may check it out at some point.

I am really impressed by the default plugins in Logic. I do have some of the UA and fabfilter stuff but try to keep it simple as I learn. There’s always buzz and excitement hyped up with different releases and I will try out demos when possible. It’s fun but a never ending path down option paralysis so I keep it simple because I’m stupid.

I use mainly the UAD plugins that came with my Apollo X6. I also purchased the Korg SDD-3000. I have several from Plugin Alliance as well that were way cheaper than UAD such as the A/DA flanger and the A/DA STD-1 delay. Recently I purchased 2 more delays, the SSL X-Delay and the D16 Repeater which are both really nice plugins.

Fabfilter EQ. At first I was like ”why would I pay for an EQ, every daw has it already”, but boy was I wrong. The most used plugin in any mix and with so much better user experience and options, totally worth it.
Iwas like ”why would I pay for an EQ, every daw has it already”,

I'm in this camp currently. I use Logic and its EQ plugin seems largely similar. Can you share some details / point to some resources that explain what Fabfilter does better?

For me, it’s the little things: click at the left side of the window creates a low cut node, and right side a high cut, everywhere else a normal eq node. You can click a node a listen to just the area that the node affects in solo. Big ui scalable to any screen size, the analyzer graph is good and clear, and the tone match: I use it on every mix to see how far I'm off a "regular" good bass/mid/treble balance. I've fed the plugin a few playlists of music and saved their eq averages as an eq target. Then I can compare my mixes to suitable genre averages. "Modern stuff, pop, old rock", etc. It instantly tells me to drop the lows 10db, I can either let it act as a master EQ for tone match or go back and tweak my individual tracks that are most "off", usually its the bass that's too loud and muddy. "What do you mean I exploded your car stereo?"

On top of that it has dynamic eq features but I'm too caveman for that. I just like things loud.

Here's a short video of the UI:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom