Favorite all time solo(s) and why?

Haven't posted in awhile, though still visit occasionally, but, had to respond to this interesting thread:

I'm probably dating myself here, but the first solo that inspired me into a different direction from general pop music was Mike Bloomfield on "East/West"; after that, was Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower"; Larry Carlton's "Room 335" started me into jazz/rock; and then I heard Allan Holdsworth's solo on UK's "In the Dead of Night", and was floored. Holdsworth's unique approach to scales and chords opened up a new, and, needless to say, challenging venture into guitar playing. In a similar vein, Bill Connors has provided some great solos, with Assembler probably being my favorite.

There are, and have been so many great guitar players over the past few decades that have provided inspiration, such as Metheny's orchestration and compositional skills, Eric Johnson's wonderful tone, and many more with terrific chops, but those listed above actually affected my personal style of playing the most.

'child in time' deep purple in rock. waaaay ahead of its time, this album had a [nearly] similar effect on me as VH1. actually blackmore rips it up all the way in that album. nothing came close back then in 69/70.

Ritchie Blackmore Highway star solo! Because I think this was one of the first time neo classical stuff was played on electric guitar! This is where Yngwie took his influence for sure! And Iron Maiden for the harmony solo duet they are knowed for!! I think this solo alone has influence a lot of guitar player and open the road to guitars heroes!!

'child in time' deep purple in rock. waaaay ahead of its time, this album had a [nearly] similar effect on me as VH1. actually blackmore rips it up all the way in that album. nothing came close back then in 69/70.

Wasn't that also on "Made In Japan"? And was a pretty hot version?

I'm not usually a fan of solos. Most guitarists are too prone to showboating at the expense of the song. That said, I'm loving the one in Meshuggah's "Dancers to a Discordant System". It somehow ties all the chaos together.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but...

"Comfortably Numb"- It does everything it is supposed to do. Absolute perfection.
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"- Possibly the best chord progression to solo over ever! Youtube it, and you will find an amazing number of famous guitarists who have covered it over the years. I think Jeff Healey is my favorite.... I think.
"Blackbird"- Alter Bridge. Check my profile pic....
"Sultans of Swing"- Mark Knopfler bought a guitar my wife was about to buy for me. :( Despite my disappointment, this solo (and song) is a technical masterpiece.
"No More Tears"- Zakk at his finest. Combines the emotion of Gilmour with the incendiary stylings of Blackmore.
"See The Light"- If I could have the skills of any guitar player, it would probably be Jeff Healey.
"Mr. Crowley"- Randy Rhodes revolutionized metal, and did it all with sucky tone.
Jeff Healey was an amazing guitarist and his rendition of 'while my guitar gently weeps' is fantastic.
Ah, another solo that stays stuck in my head is Hot For Teacher by VH.

Michael Schenker-Rock Bottom from Strangers in the Night
Jeff Beck-Where were you
Jeff Beck-Final Peace
David Gilmour-The Blue

On studio albums:

Jimi Hendrix All Along the Watchtower and Bold as Love
Rory Gallagher For the Last Time (and everything else he did)
Danny Gatton Quiet Village (same as above)
Dire Straits Single Handed Sailor (and Knopfler's Dont You Get It)
Everything Albert Lee ever did with a guitar
David Gilmour Marooned

Bonus:
Each single solo of Klaus Eichstadt on Ugly Kid Joe's America's Least Wanted :razz

I'm going home - Alvin Lee
Minor Blues - Django Reinhardt
Still got the blues for you - Gary Moore
Jockey Full Of Bourbon - Tom Waits (Marc Ribot)

This could go on for quite awhile!

And damn you OP for making me realize how old I am! :( :) :(

Journey - Wheel In The Sky ( Feel )
Toto - I Won't Hold You Back ( Feel.... Simple, but oozing with emotion...)
Night Ranger - Sister Christian ( Feel )
Racer X - Scarified (Absolutely disgusting display of 2 guitarists' technical ability in harmony ! )
Toto- While My Guitar Gently Weeps ( luke's sick... )

Last edited:
Some off the top of my head:

- Larry Carlton: most solos on his amazing Sleepwalk album :-o
- Pat Metheny: too many to mention. It's on another level, just like the voice of Eva Cassidy, but I only cry with the latter :D
- Steve Lukather: perfect Georgy Porgy solo in the Live in Paris video, the 2nd solo going all out in Lionel Richie's "Running with the night" (long version), ...
- Joe Satriani's Rubina solo: perfect mix of everything. Also most solos on "Surfing with the Alien" can not be bettered.
- David Gilmour "Comfortably Numb": because others like it and you're not taken serious if you don't list it ;-)
- some Robben Ford, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Michael Landau, ... for their often exquisite tastiness.

Hello (Lionel Richie). No, I'm not kidding! So simple, so effective.

A guy named Louie Shelton played that - he eventually moved to Sydney (he's American). I've actually played that very guitar, it's a Strat (believe it or not).

- Steve Lukather: [snip] the 2nd solo going all out in Lionel Richie's "Running with the night" (long version), ...
Agreed - that is a fantastic solo.
David Gilmour "Comfortably Numb": because others like it and you're not taken serious if you don't list it ;-).
LOL. I don't care if it gets talked about to death, it IS an amazing solo.

no particular order, just what came to mind.

jimmy page: "since i've been loving you," how the west was won (live) ca. '72. just solid brit blues wailing the whole piece. very emotive, chaotic, finest zep jamming.
tom scholz: "more than a feeling"
guthrie govan: "waves" the whole thing is a solo, really. that man is a genius.
john petrucci: "under a glass moon" don't even need to explain it. just look it up. (but there's a special place in my heart for jp's simpler melodic solos also, like "repentence," "octavarium: razor's edge," etc.)
david gilmour: "time" & "money"
coheed & cambria: "welcome home" or "final cut" is a toss up. both tracks off of good apollo i'm burning star iv: from fear through the eyes of madness. great dueling guitar action in the vein of maiden, though not quite as technical or speedy. my favorite modern prog rock/metal band (after dt) you've probably sort of heard of.
steely dan (larry carlton): "kid charlemagne" eclectic jumble. carlton perfection.
clapton: "crossroads" of course
blue oyster cult: "don't fear the reaper," probably the most popular use of the phrygian mode in classic rock, never mind the cowbell.
.38 special: "caught up in you"
neil schon: "separate ways"

What about a twist now to this thread...everyone who has posted has to (learn?) record and post at least one of their chosen solo's!! ;)

I'm learning the solo from the Europe song, Superstitious as we speak..harder than i expected! (for my ability anyway!!)

Mark Knopfler: In The Gallery — all the taste, skill and composition of Sultans of Swing, taken up a notch and a half.

Reactions: gpz
*Alex Lifeson (RUSH) 1st solo on La Villa Strangiatto. The Live version off of 1980's "Exit Stage Left" From Volume swells to beautiful cleans to wicked fast runs, and he does it Live. There is a 2nd lead thats just as cool, more spacy, or wild.
*Tommy Schultz (Boston) on Hitch a Ride, come on.......Very well crafted.
*Gary Writhrath ms (REO Speedwagon) Keep on Rolling. He had alot of great solos.
*Molly Hatchetts lead guitarist "I dont know his name", and I know its been played to death. But I use to get geared up to hear the lead every time "Flirtin with Disaster" came on.

Last edited:
Slashes Snake pit .. a song called Serial Killer - fast, melodic, bluesy, with a taste of classical.
Rush - Limelight .. I just love it.. starts smooth and melodic and slowly builds
ZZ Top Cheap sunglasses - the solo takes the song to the land of gritty low down blues.
Pink Floyd - Time- the master with the stratoblaster
Johnny VanZant had a tune called Brickyard road back in the 90's I dont know who his guitarist was, but I still remember the solo- lots of delay
Neal Schon played on the Micheal Bolton cover of Sitting on the Dock of the bay- Wow amazing tone and playing- just skip ahead to the solo
Old Van Halen for the killer tone and mind blowing playing skills (Roth era)
The Cars Elliot Easton- Smart country shred on My best Friends girl, Catchy riff too
Angus Young- take your pick- any solo he does is brilliant. AC-DC Yeah baby, Yeah!
The list is a mile long! But I'm stopping for now.

Back
Top Bottom