Famous Musicians You’ve Met?

In my line of work, I've been lucky to have the opportunity to meet some famous musician customers. To pick one, I'll mention Vernon Reid. Anybody who has a passing familiarity with his music knows he's amazingly talented. But I was struck by how intelligent he is. He has the kind of curiosity about things that speaks to a sharp mind and imagination. After meeting him, it's no surprise to me that his music is so rich and "vivid" :). I think he and Larry Mitchell have that characteristic in common.
Not to mention his pedalboard isn’t like nasa mission control. Lol

Eric Bell, Angus and Malcolm Young, Brian Johnson, Paul McCartney, Rick Willis, Dave Colwell, to name but a few. Mr Bell and i drank 7 pints of Guinness before he went on stage and played a whole set flawlessly while i was falling off the bar stool. Angus also let me play his SG at the pre Donnington rehearsals.
Impressive list. I imagine Paul McCartney was great.

Bussed tables at a place called Jolly Rodgers on Long Island with Eddie Mahoney (MONEY). Played at few campfires and got very high a few times playin acoustic guitars and singin old songs. Was fun. He was a crazy guy. Nice guy, down to earth.
Lived in Levittown at the time.
We are both LI guys. Lol. Funny you mention Eddie Money. I was just on an EM binge a couple weeks ago. Him and Huey Lewis. Some GREAT songs from both that I just “reconnected” with. If I’m not mistaken, Eddie was a cop for a stint before the music no? Very cool you got to hang with him.

I’ve met almost every single famous Finnish musician except Ville Valo (HIM) and Alexi Laiho (RIP), but I guess Finnish musicians are not that popular in here.

International bands and musicians I’ve worked with:
Breaking Benjamin
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
Sofi Tukker
Mando Diao
Nothing But Thieves
30 Seconds to Mars
The Naked and Famous
Chris Holmes (WASP)
SG Lewis
Jagwar Ma
Scooter (🤪)

Not a long list, since I mostly work with Finnish artists or tour managers. Looking forward to meet Andy Summers and Ron Thal once the covid-situation gets better.

Ok so here’s my contribution. In the 90s, I had the chance to intern at MTV in Manhattan. Was a great experience but one that also took away the mystique and magic. What I mean is I went from looking at MTV as this magical place from a viewers perspective to seeing all the underbelly workings and never looking at it the same again. I got to bump into a lot of famous people and one of my most memorable was Kings X. They came in to perform on I think the Jon Stewart show. I was not a familiar with them at all. I was pulling cable for a camera guy and almost got canned for not paying attention to what I was supposed to be doing. Kings X just FLOORED me. I went to tower records the next day and loaded up. Lol. We weren’t supposed to talk to the talent but I couldn’t help myself. I snuck a few brief words in and hand shakes and went on my way. Below is perhaps my favorite story…nothing to do with MTV. It’s meeting Mrs Satriani (Joes Mom) which led to meeting Joe and others…

I’m a Long Island guy. Some of you here on the forum are also. So you know when I say we are proud of the LI guys who have made it. Billy Joel seems to be the golden boy bearing the LI Flag but we have a long list. Anyway also back in the 90s I was working at a deli and next door there was a pharmacy. I used to drop off my 35mm film there to get processed. Yeah 35mm film. Lol. One day I went to pick up pics and the gal behind the counter asked about the band shots. I had some of me and guys I was playing with at the time. We chatted and she said “do you know who Joe Satriani is?” I said YEAH and I was a huge fan. Loved satch and got to see him a couple times. She tells me “his mom comes in all the time.” I knew she still lived on LI but had no idea she was a couple towns over. Anyway I told her that was cool and went about my day. About a month later I’m working at the deli and a woman walks in and asks for me by name. I come over and she says, “I hear you’re a fan of my son Joseph”. I had no idea what she was talking about until she said “I’m Mrs Satriani.” Needless to say I asked my boss for my break that very second. Mrs S and I sat down for a half hour and talked. She was amazing. At the end she says you know, Joe is playing Jones Beach in a couple of weeks are you going? I told her I knew about the show but I wasn’t going. I was living on my own at the time and didn’t have two nickels to rub together. She says “would you like to go as my guest?” A quick YES and floating on air for the next few weeks was what I did. I got to the venue, picked up my ticket at will call and when the usher took me to my seat, 8th row center stage, who was I sitting with? Mrs Satriani! We talked between stage changes and she told me I was going to meet Joe after the show. I was so nervous I thought I was going to throw up. She no joke took me by the hand back stage and introduced me as “Joe this it the boy at the deli I told you about”. I honestly don’t remember what I said to Joe. And joe was a very quiet unassuming guy. But it was the best experience of my life meeting a famous musician. learned many years later of Mrs Satrianis passing and it hurt. She was a really sweet woman and went out of her way to find me and graciously give me that experience. So sorry Joe, meeting you was great but your mom will forever hold a special place and meeting her was a gift and number one on my list.

"Met" several of the guys from Dream Theater...

I met Mike Portnoy & Rod Morgenstein at a meet & greet when Dixie Dregs was opening for Dream Theater. We waited until the end so we could talk to them without holding up the line, and Rod gave freely of his time; Mike, not so much, saying he was tired.
I had caught one of Rod's drum sticks at the show from the earlier leg, so he signed it, and asked him if I could get another to make it a set. Told him I'd be right up front at the show that night, and wouldn't you know it, he looked for me, found me, and tried to throw me a stick, but taller hands got it. He gave me a lot as if to say, "I tiried!" How many guys would've even remembered, is what I thought. Class act.

Talked at length with James LaBrie while in line out front of the 930 Club in DC at the Metropolis 2000 tour. He talked to several of us about parts of the story behind the songs, explaining that the psychotherapist had also been reincarnated, and had been the alcoholic brother in the past life! That had been the one part of the story that was a bit confusing, but James' face lit up when he saw that we now understood. Very cool!

Same show I saw Petrucci pull up in a minivan, so I went over to the tour bus to see if he'd sign my tab book. He was outside grabbing a vacuum cleaner of all things, but told me he was "really busy." I was careful to wait until he was on the side of the bus away from the line so as to not create a mad rush of people, but it didn't matter. I was honestly disappointed.

And then after the show my cousin and I got our picture taken with John Myoung, and he was as quiet as ever. :tearsofjoy: (And had his bass with him, about to get on the bus!)

Last edited:
One of the highlights of my life. Got to meet, hang out, and drink a beer with the legend Guthrie Govan. Can't express how much of a class act he is. Took the time to geek out about anything and everything.

Most disappointed part is that I was younger, trying to Kirkland djent, dumber, and did not appreciate him as much as I do now.

I have a crazy story about meeting the guys from bullet for my valentine if anyone is interested lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-125759_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-125759_Facebook.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Met several of the guys from Dream Theater...

I met Mike Portnoy & Rod Morgenstein at a meet & greet when Dixie Dregs was opening for Dream Theater. We waited until the end so we could talk to them without holding up the line, and Rod gave freely of his time; Mike, not so much, saying he was tired.
I had caught one of Rod's drum sticks at the show from the earlier leg, so he signed it, and asked him if I could get another to make it a set. Told him I'd be right up front at the show that night, and wouldn't you know it, he looked for me, found me, and tried to throw me a stick, but taller hands got it. He gave me a lot as if to say, "I tiried!" How many guys would've even remembered, is what I thought. Class act.

Talked at length with James LaBrie while in line out front of the 930 Club in DC at the Metropolis 2000 tour. He talked to several of us about parts of the story behind the songs, explaining that the psychotherapist had also been reincarnated, and had been the alcoholic brother in the past life! That had been the one part of the story that was a bit confusing, but James' face lit up when he saw that we now understood. Very cool!

Same show I saw Petrucci pull up in a minivan, so I went over to the tour bus to see if he'd sign my tab book. He was outside grabbing a vacuum cleaner of all things, but told me he was "really busy." I was careful to wait until he was on the side of the bus away from the line so as to not create a mad rush of people, but it didn't matter. I was honestly disappointed.

And then after the show my cousin and I got our picture taken with John Myoung, and he was as quiet as ever. :tearsofjoy: (And had his bass with him, about to get on the bus!)
That’s great. Rod remembering to look for you…class act in my book. LaBrie taking time to chat….also class act. Myung looks to be very tight himself at baseline in videos etc. lol. John is also reserved. On one of the G3s wirh vai and petrucci I was lucky enough to meet John. He spent some time chatting but has a very calm demeanor about him. I guess it’s hit or miss when you meet people. I met Steve vai and he wasn’t very friendly. Met Leslie West and he was similar. It’s deflating as a fan when you get these reactions but you have to remember they are human and may just be having a bad day.

One of the highlights of my life. Got to meet, hang out, and drink a beer with the legend Guthrie Govan. Can't express how much of a class act he is. Took the time to geek out about anything.

Most disappointed part is that I was younger, trying to Kirkland djent, dumber, and did not appreciate him as him as I do now.

I have a crazy story about meeting the guys fr bullet for my valentine if anyone is interested lol
Yeah man. Share the story. I’m enjoying reading what everyone’s sharing.

Yeah, those camps give a bit of a head start on this topic :grinning:

I could fill a page with people from that roster, but more than just a passing introduction...

Cheating, another camp, but with only 19 attendees (which is like 10% of the usual ones)...the Aristocamp. Actually got to hang out with Guthrie Govan (shared one of his hand-rolled cigarettes), Marco Minneman (learned where their song/label Boing! I'm in the back! came from), and Bryan Beller (funny/not so funny divorce story there). At that same camp I did a private (drum) clinic session with Chad Wackerman and talked with him for several hours about his time with Zappa and Holdsworth. I also played drums for Michael Manring. That was a fantastic week :) (lesser known, but perhaps to some on here, Francis Dunnery was also at that camp and he's a friggin treasure on his own)

Before covid I loved going to the Iridium club in NYC and would usually end up there several times a month. I got to be on pretty good terms with Mike Stern and Dennis Chambers, also Randy Brecker. Dennis is one of the coolest dudes in the business, Mike just seemed high all the time :tongueclosed:

I beat Mike Mangini 2 out of 3 games playing 8-ball.

Locally my band has opened for Virgil Donati (he was kind of a dick), Neil Zaza (awesome dude), Tony MacAlpine, and Soften the Glare (Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne) twice, they were all awesome too. Also opened for Corey Glover with a different band.

At the Woodshed camp last year I got to sit with Joe Bonamassa and jam for a bit, on (one of) his actual '59 Pauls through his Dumble Overdrive Special. Kind of a trip to be playing a guitar & amp that cost as much as my house, but it still sounded like me and not him. Joe was super cool in person.

That camp this year I did a few Brad Paisley songs at the evening open mic and had Brent Mason back me up on lead guitar, that was a crapload of fun. He's got stories for days. As does Robben Ford, especially about his time with Miles Davis.

Got into a slightly heated debate about who the next EVH-level of influence would be (or if there ever would be) on guitar with Mark Lettieri and Andy Wood. Did a few shots with Mark and then played drums while he played and sang Master of Puppets. He's a goofy 80's metal guy at his roots. Ben Eller was on bass for that one.

That's enough for now :) with few exceptions all have been completely normal dudes who love that they can have a career doing what they do, and love sharing that passion with others.

edit: one more...any jam band people know Yonder Mountain String Band? I went to a bluegrass festival over 20 years ago and saw them on what was one of their first ever tours, they were on the little side stage. We talked to them for a long time after their set, just about what it's like being a bluegrass combo on the road. I didn't really follow them for a while after that and one day saw a video of them playing a headlining set at Red Rocks. Good for them :)
Awesome. Corey Glover…..I saw him at the Bitter End in NYC a few years ago. Had no idea he was playing. The place wasn’t packed and he and his band blew the roof off. He made time to chat with people after the show and take pics. I thanked him for a killer show and for all the music. I wanted to fan boy out like Chris Farley on SNL with Sir Paul but I didn’t. “Remember when you played NYE on MTV when Cult of personality came out? That was awesome”. Lol. Bonamassa seems like he would geek out for hours talking about guitars and gear.

One of the highlights of my life. Got to meet, hang out, and drink a beer with the legend Guthrie Govan. Can't express how much of a class act he is. Took the time to geek out about anything.

Most disappointed part is that I was younger, trying to Kirkland djent, dumber, and did not appreciate him as him as I do now.

I have a crazy story about meeting the guys fr bullet for my valentine if anyone is interested lol
Guthrie is such a humble and down to earth guy.

From the mid-90s to the early-2000s I worked with Roger Capps (Pat Benetar's original bass player) at a software company in LA. We both smoked cigarettes so we spent many hours of smoke breaks together and became good friends. He was a tech support rep and eventually I became his boss, managing the tech support department. Very down to earth guy, with tons of interesting stories about touring and recording with Pat and Neil. I wasn't playing much guitar in those days, but I did get a chance to play with him once at a company party/jam session.

Also, Tim Pierce and I were acquaintances back in the late '70s before he moved to LA. We were both playing the same local circuit in Albuquerque. We still have a number of mutual friends, but I have no idea if he'd remember me. Similar story with Larry Seymour, Billy Idol's bass player.

I was lucky enough to meet John. He spent some time chatting but has a very calm demeanor about him.
Being one of the best players to ever pick up the guitar, you gotta respect how humble he comes across in interviews.
Beato interviewed him, and obviously didn't know much about him (hell, I would've done a more interesting interview), but John never once corrected him or showed any sign of anything other than humility.
About the most he's ever said imo, is in the lyrics to As I Am: "You cannot touch the way I play, or tell me what to say..."

Back
Top Bottom