Famous Musicians You’ve Met?

TD77

Inspired
Which famous musicians have you met in your life? Was there a particular person who stood out to you for any reason (good or bad) or have a cool story? Musicians are known to be quirky but are also some of the most amazing people on the planet. It’s great to meet those who you look up to.

F58B5804-DC04-4A00-8B1C-0B8D4E968A42.jpegWhich famous musicians have you met in your life? Was there a particular person who stood out to you for any reason (good or bad) or have a cool story? Musicians are known to be quirky but are also some of the most amazing people on the planet. It’s great to meet those who you look up to.
Pre Covid I flew a lot. I was on a flight from Lax to DFW with Stewart Copeland. He was with his family and I left him alone. He was very cool to flight attendants. Rode an elevator up to the LAX Admirals club with T Bone Burnet - very cool, but was a bit quirky. Thought TSA stole his $50 bill, but he eventually found it in his sock - slow elevator. He had a woman handler with him either agent or lawyer who was smoking hot - glasses, custom tailored business suit - naughty librarian look (shwing). I was distracted more by her, but he loved that I saw him in mid 80’s in Austin with Bono and the Edge at Antone’s. Then there was Rick Nielsen in the LaGuardia Admirals Club in chairs 10 ft from me but with his family - left him alone. Seemed completely normal. Stevie Wonder in DFW airport. Glorious. Looked 3-D but huge entourage couldn’t approach. Paul Stanley also in an airport - not rude but very aloof. Finally in the Admirals Club in DFW airport with James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett. They could not be nicer. My only regret was not connecting with Kirk on our Fractal connection. I literally think I froze. Super cool guys to everyone there. Didn’t “big time” anyone.

Last edited:
Pre Covid I flew a lot. I was on a flight from Lax to DFW with Stewart Copeland. He was with his family and I left him alone. He was very cool to flight attendants. Rode an elevator up to the LAX Admirals club with T Bone Burnet - very cool. Stevie Wonder in DFW airport. Glorious. Looked 3-D but huge entourage couldn’t approach. Paul Stanley also in an airport - not rude but very aloof. Finally in the Admirals Club in DFW airport with James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett. They could not be nicer. My only regret was not connecting with Kirk on our Fractal connection. I literally think I froze. Super cool guys to everyone there. Didn’t “big time” anyone.
That’s awesome! James and Kirk seem like really cool guys. Im sure Kirk would have talked shop a little. 🤘🏻

I've met many musicians/actors but one moment that has a special place in memory was back in May 2002 when I won a Meet & Greet Radio Contest for the G3 2001 show in Mexico City (it was originally scheduled for late September or November 2001, we all know what happened) and it was HUGE for me at 15 y.o. to meet my heroes Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and John effin' Petrucci. Back then I pretty much could be considered as a Fanboy for these guys, and not only I got to meet them, but also met Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan, Tony Macalpine and Virgil Donati.

I met once again with Satch on two occasions a couple years later and always a class act, down to earth (or Not of this Earth...) humble guy who's cool beyond cool but really approachable at the same time... really, such a pleasure to talk to him.

Out of my musical heroes I still hope for the day I'll have a chance to meet Jerry Cantrell and James Hetfield & Kirk Hammett.

I've met many musicians/actors but one moment that has a special place in memory was back in May 2002 when I won a Meet & Greet Radio Contest for the G3 2001 show in Mexico City (it was originally scheduled for late September or November 2001, we all know what happened) and it was HUGE for me at 15 y.o. to meet my heroes Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and John effin' Petrucci. Back then I pretty much could be considered as a Fanboy for these guys, and not only I got to meet them, but also met Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan, Tony Macalpine and Virgil Donati.

I met once again with Satch on two occasions a couple years later and always a class act, down to earth (or Not of this Earth...) humble guy who's cool beyond cool but really approachable at the same time... really, such a pleasure to talk to him.

Out of my musical heroes I still hope for the day I'll have a chance to meet Jerry Cantrell and James Hetfield & Kirk Hammett.
We have some in common. I met Joe under some really amazing circumstances. I’ll share when I have some time to write it. Lol. But yes I found him to be one of the nicest guys.

Years ago I went to Guitar Center San Francisco on my way into work.

I saw a couple guys walk in looking pretty ratty... But one guy looked really familiar.

I was at the counter talking with the sales guy. I said "why does that guy look so familiar?"

"Oh, that's James Hetfield from Metallica and their new bassist Jason. They haven't announced anything yet but they're buying his gear for their upcoming tour."

Somewhere around here I have a Guitar Center receipt with James and Jason Newstead signatures on it :)

I've also met a number of guitarists thru the G4 Experience and Vai Academy guitar camps. Had breakfast with Guthrie Govan one day and lunch with Andy Timmons.

In my line of work, I've been lucky to have the opportunity to meet some famous musician customers. To pick one, I'll mention Vernon Reid. Anybody who has a passing familiarity with his music knows he's amazingly talented. But I was struck by how intelligent he is. He has the kind of curiosity about things that speaks to a sharp mind and imagination. After meeting him, it's no surprise to me that his music is so rich and "vivid" :). I think he and Larry Mitchell have that characteristic in common.

Although the musician I grew to know as a mentor was not famous or widely popular, Burt Teague was a regional celebrity with a small but loyal following of fans. His never-to-be-forgotten tongue-in-cheek line was, "Of all the thousands of people I've ever met...you're another one."

I've also met a number of guitarists thru the G4 Experience and Vai Academy guitar camps. Had breakfast with Guthrie Govan one day and lunch with Andy Timmons.

Yeah, those camps give a bit of a head start on this topic :grinning:

I could fill a page with people from that roster, but more than just a passing introduction...

Cheating, another camp, but with only 19 attendees (which is like 10% of the usual ones)...the Aristocamp. Actually got to hang out with Guthrie Govan (shared one of his hand-rolled cigarettes), Marco Minneman (learned where their song/label Boing! I'm in the back! came from), and Bryan Beller (funny/not so funny divorce story there). At that same camp I did a private (drum) clinic session with Chad Wackerman and talked with him for several hours about his time with Zappa and Holdsworth. I also played drums for Michael Manring. That was a fantastic week :) (lesser known, but perhaps to some on here, Francis Dunnery was also at that camp and he's a friggin treasure on his own)

Before covid I loved going to the Iridium club in NYC and would usually end up there several times a month. I got to be on pretty good terms with Mike Stern and Dennis Chambers, also Randy Brecker. Dennis is one of the coolest dudes in the business, Mike just seemed high all the time :tongueclosed:

I beat Mike Mangini 2 out of 3 games playing 8-ball.

Locally my band has opened for Virgil Donati (he was kind of a dick), Neil Zaza (awesome dude), Tony MacAlpine, and Soften the Glare (Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne) twice, they were all awesome too. Also opened for Corey Glover with a different band.

At the Woodshed camp last year I got to sit with Joe Bonamassa and jam for a bit, on (one of) his actual '59 Pauls through his Dumble Overdrive Special. Kind of a trip to be playing a guitar & amp that cost as much as my house, but it still sounded like me and not him. Joe was super cool in person.

That camp this year I did a few Brad Paisley songs at the evening open mic and had Brent Mason back me up on lead guitar, that was a crapload of fun. He's got stories for days. As does Robben Ford, especially about his time with Miles Davis.

Got into a slightly heated debate about who the next EVH-level of influence would be (or if there ever would be) on guitar with Mark Lettieri and Andy Wood. Did a few shots with Mark and then played drums while he played and sang Master of Puppets. He's a goofy 80's metal guy at his roots. Ben Eller was on bass for that one.

That's enough for now :) with few exceptions all have been completely normal dudes who love that they can have a career doing what they do, and love sharing that passion with others.

edit: one more...any jam band people know Yonder Mountain String Band? I went to a bluegrass festival over 20 years ago and saw them on what was one of their first ever tours, they were on the little side stage. We talked to them for a long time after their set, just about what it's like being a bluegrass combo on the road. I didn't really follow them for a while after that and one day saw a video of them playing a headlining set at Red Rocks. Good for them :)

Last edited:
In 90s a friend of me organized a Gig with himself supporting Tony McAlpine.
I supported my friend on stage, equipment and entrance.
I stopped a guy hidden under a hoodie at entrance because of not paying.
Until I realize that it is Tony and his mangager 🤣
"Hey you didn't payed, no way to get in here"
After the show we had a nice time backstage all together.
On drums Mike Terrana, on Bass Ricky Riccardo.
I remember that they enjoyed the catering made by the mother of my friend.
Especially the meatballs.
Ricky taken the rest of meatballs, wrapped in aloy foil for the trip home.
🤣

Later 2012-2018 I've done stage hands on a small festival in our region for 6 years and met there dozens of international bands helping setting up their stuff, talking, joking.
Examples Debauchery, Sodom, Tankard from Germany and many others from Sweden, France, Greece, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands and more.

Another one...I got called to sub for the sound guy at a local venue to do sound for Dick Dale. That was probably the loudest friggin amp I've ever been in front of. I ended up taking him out of the PA entirely and brought the rest of the band up as much as I could, he flat refused to turn down.

He was kind of a jerk, I talked with him after the show briefly and offered to get him a drink from the bar, and he just says 'I don't drink' and walked away. After he went back to the tour bus the rest of his road crew mobbed the bar and begged us to give them as much booze as we could before they had to go back on the road. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought he was a little bit difficult to work for.

Eric Bell, Angus and Malcolm Young, Brian Johnson, Paul McCartney, Rick Willis, Dave Colwell, to name but a few. Mr Bell and i drank 7 pints of Guinness before he went on stage and played a whole set flawlessly while i was falling off the bar stool. Angus also let me play his SG at the pre Donnington rehearsals.

Ted Poley (Danger Danger, Tokyo Motor Fist) just off to my left.

Attachments

• D0CD4990-941C-4791-9FA9-9C79F0C15209.jpeg
    D0CD4990-941C-4791-9FA9-9C79F0C15209.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 29
Last one I promise.
Steve Stevens and Phil X
Douggie Rapps
Phil X again
Les Paul
Andy Timmons
nuno
Richie Kotzen.

Attachments

• D1A78ACF-A4CA-4904-8188-2A361643CB95.jpeg
    D1A78ACF-A4CA-4904-8188-2A361643CB95.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 5BC8F3EC-2070-46C2-B7F7-0F47EBA56E6A.jpeg
    5BC8F3EC-2070-46C2-B7F7-0F47EBA56E6A.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 9E2DE940-3B8A-4017-8042-08D961D52497.jpeg
    9E2DE940-3B8A-4017-8042-08D961D52497.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 57
  • AE61F732-60CB-4D86-B5DD-CEC4CB20C0FD.jpeg
    AE61F732-60CB-4D86-B5DD-CEC4CB20C0FD.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 51
  • CC804350-D9B7-4C31-A0EB-3D886F5B6721.jpeg
    CC804350-D9B7-4C31-A0EB-3D886F5B6721.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 48
  • D0E66945-EA7D-42ED-83ED-C6220EF3ABEC.jpeg
    D0E66945-EA7D-42ED-83ED-C6220EF3ABEC.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 83888356-AC1D-42F8-B90B-31A7F9406049.jpeg
    83888356-AC1D-42F8-B90B-31A7F9406049.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
Bussed tables at a place called Jolly Rodgers on Long Island with Eddie Mahoney (MONEY). Played at few campfires and got very high a few times playin acoustic guitars and singin old songs. Was fun. He was a crazy guy. Nice guy, down to earth.
Lived in Levittown at the time.

Bussed tables at a place called Jolly Rodgers on Long Island with Eddie Mahoney (MONEY). Played at few campfires and got very high a few times playin acoustic guitars and singin old songs. Was fun. He was a crazy guy. Nice guy, down to earth.
Lived in Levittown at the time.
I think he was a city cop for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom