Falling behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjjp2

Power User
Would like to take my FM9 out instead of my FXIII, but we are starting to fall further and further behind on substantive (e.g. amp modelling) upgrades. I know there's no point asking "when" the FM9 will receive some of the more recent upgrades, but . . . is it even being worked on?

Plus we need to remember that Cliff said he thought it could be done on all the products but stopped short of a guarantee. Maybe it’s taking a little extra massaging to make it work, if at all.

Good Grief, I saw exactly the same mania for updates happen on the Hotone Ampero 2 group, The Quad Cortex group and even the Nux Amp academy group. Quad Cortex owners had to wait over two years for a desktop editor and its still only now out in beta! What is it with constant clamouring for upgrades. For me the FM9 already has more than I will ever use. Yes, gapless switching would be nice, I wonder how many other modellers already have this? I easily get around it with good use of scenes and channels. I'm happy and content with what I have, any new releases I always see simply as a bonus to, what is already, an awesome piece of kit.

While I’m also anxious for the updates to hit the FM9, the speed of updates on this platform is blazing fast compared to Helix or QC for example. Historically Helix took 10+ months between major updates, and even now in the last few years since Helix Core was finished which was supposed to decrease the time between firmware updates, they’re still 6ish months apart.

What’s worse, aside from the oversampling they added awhile back, they never improve the modeling on existing models, so the AC30 in fw 3.7 is identical to the AC30 in fw 1.0 from 2015. This creates a situation where all the newly added amp models (i.e. random custom amps no one asked for) are much better than all the old ones (i.e. the classics: AC30, plexi, twin, recto, 5150, etc). 🤦🏻‍♂️

To be fair though, fw 3.7 did add 10 amps and 3 pedals we definitely need on the fractal units: Nobels ODR-1, feedbacker, and Noble bass preamp/DI. Fractal needs more bass love altogether, struggling to let go of helix for this reason. Helix native is a godsend for bass.

Last edited:
No one is saying that the FM9 isn't great. Just because people are clamoring for the latest features doesn't mean they aren't grateful. Speaking for myself at least. It's ok (and understandable) to be anxious.

In my opinion, most of this is simply wanting to be on parity with the flagship unit. After watching countless demos of the latest firmware on the III, many of us just want to get in on the good stuff too. This wasn't an issue in the Helix ecosystem because the rack, floor, stomp, and native plugin were all on the same update cycle. Before you say it, I know this is a different beast. I'd say that buying the rack model would solve this, but in reality it wouldn't because I'd still have the FM9 (and FM3), with each one having different firmware and thereby different capabilities. And I'd still be wanting to catch the FM9 & FM3 up so that all my presets were the same etc. or force myself to wait to upgrade so that they are all the same. Neither option is particularly appealing.

Maybe it's because I don't have the bigger III but I don't feel like I'm seriously missing anything major. What's coming eventually will be worth it and until then, the convenience of a full pedalboard-sized rig with more options than I will ever use is good enough for me.

Why not spend some time fiddling with advanced parameters to make existing models sound like the ones you're impatient for? 😂 Kidding but not kidding

Good Grief, I saw exactly the same mania for updates happen on the Hotone Ampero 2 group, The Quad Cortex group and even the Nux Amp academy group. Quad Cortex owners had to wait over two years for a desktop editor and its still only now out in beta! What is it with constant clamouring for upgrades. For me the FM9 already has more than I will ever use. Yes, gapless switching would be nice, I wonder how many other modellers already have this? I easily get around it with good use of scenes and channels. I'm happy and content with what I have, any new releases I always see simply as a bonus to, what is already, an awesome piece of kit.
Mania? Seriously? That's how you read my post?

FM9 firmware 3.00 was released in August of 2022. Firmware 4.00 was released in December of 2022 — four months later. Firmware 5.00 was released in August of 2023 — eight months later.

It’s now four months after that, and we’re waiting for Firmware 6.00. I don’t see how anyone can say that we’re “falling behind.”

Too much crying lately for the forum. Is this the new generation of little children who can't wait a little?
Animated GIF

:smile::smile::smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom