F*&@#$^% Microsoft

So Windows 11 is being announced next Thursday. I'm seeing leaks all over the internet but I just wanna know about if they've done any more tweaks to the OS for audio-related applications. I keep hoping that one day Microsoft will implement something like ASIO system-wide but I'm not holding my breath.

So Windows 11 is being announced next Thursday. I'm seeing leaks all over the internet but I just wanna know about if they've done any more tweaks to the OS for audio-related applications. I keep hoping that one day Microsoft will implement something like ASIO system-wide but I'm not holding my breath.
Wait a minute. I remember MS promising win10 would be the last OS.
And what is ASIO? No biggie if it can't be explained in layman's terms...;)

Wait a minute. I remember MS promising win10 would be the last OS.
And what is ASIO? No biggie if it can't be explained in layman's terms...;)

It's a type of audio driver in Windows that allows devices to play back low-latency audio. This is crucial for recording because you don't wanna hear a delay while listening to an instrument while playing it. Many different audio interfaces (including Fractal products come with ASIO drivers.

Mac OS was designed for low-latency audio from the beginning so it's really only a Windows problem.

Here's a screenshot of Windows 11:

idiocracy-ow-my-balls.jpg

Some rumored features:
"App free" OS. The only included app is the Edge browser. All other apps must be downloaded from the Microsoft $tore.
"Targeted Search". Typing in the Search Bar automatically launches the Edge browser which then directs you to the Microsoft $tore.
"Microsoft Account". To use the OS you must have a Microsoft Account which you can purchase from the Microsoft $tore.
"One Drive Plus". Now with 64 KB free storage. Upgrades can be purchased from the Microsoft $tore.
"New Notification Center". Notifies you if you haven't purchased anything from the Microsoft $tore in the last 48 hours.

Some rumored features:
"App free" OS. The only included app is the Edge browser. All other apps must be downloaded from the Microsoft $tore.
"Targeted Search". Typing in the Search Bar automatically launches the Edge browser which then directs you to the Microsoft $tore.
"Microsoft Account". To use the OS you must have a Microsoft Account which you can purchase from the Microsoft $tore.
"One Drive Plus". Now with 64 KB free storage. Upgrades can be purchased from the Microsoft $tore.
"New Notification Center". Notifies you if you haven't purchased anything from the Microsoft $tore in the last 48 hours.
brawndo has electrolytes

Some rumored features:
Yes, seems to get closer to macos day by day ^^

My current iMac is the worst computer I've ever had. Constant freezing and spinning color wheels
I'm underwhelmed by my 5k iMac. Same issues as you. I think it's a combination of the latest macOS and the fusion drive. I spend more time on my Windows machine. If it wasn't for Logic, I'd be hanging up on Macs. I'll probably sell the iMac and replace it with a desk-space-saving Mac Mini.

Not to mention Linux Subsystem for Windows is fantastic and it fixed my biggest gripe with Windows: I hate PowerShell and cmd.

Last edited:
I've a 2020 model 5K iMac with the 10-core i9, and I'm quite happy with it. Certainly doesn't offer the value proposition of a Windows-based PC, and there are some programs/devices which only support Windows, so I've got my Windows PC as a backup when needed.

My current iMac is the worst computer I've ever had. Constant freezing and spinning color wheels
How old is it? I have a 2019 macbook pro and it's flawless, best laptop I've ever had by MILES.

If you have an old mechanical HDD in your imac then you will always get the spinning wheel. Like my 2013 mac mini.

How old is it? I have a 2019 macbook pro and it's flawless, best laptop I've ever had by MILES.

If you have an old mechanical HDD in your imac then you will always get the spinning wheel. Like my 2013 mac mini.

Same here, but mine is a 2020, I still like Windows for some applications but for all my personal stuff, Mac all the way.

I miss Atari the most... Hands down those people that wrote TOS 1.4 rocked... I never should have gotten rid of my 1040ST...

Ahhhh the good old days...my friend had a 1040ST and it was an awesome platform for MIDI/music at that time.

I was an Amiga nut; I had an Amiga 2000 (after a 500). It was such an amazing piece of hardware to be creative with and I used it until the mid-90's when I finally had to succumb to the Microsoft/DOS platform :dizzy:, kicking and screaming all the way. That was such a giant step back I thought, but the Amiga was going the way of the Dodo bird.

I still have my Amiga 500, and fondly remember the days when Commodore was the platform for creative endeavors and gaming, along the the Atari.

Ah yeah, Amigas were great in their day, I probably would have ended going w/one but at the time (1990 or so) my music teacher had one so I went with Atari 1040STE, he was using all kinds of cool software that was music related, to transcribe scores from MIDI to publish in postscript, MIDI programming, Band-in-Box,a nd all of the business productivity stuff, I cant remember all of the apps but I ended up getting most of them myself, had a truck load of them, almost all on floppy disks... Ha Ha Ha,... Then everything changed in 1995 my room mate at the time was doing IT and came home with a Packard Bell Win95 running Netscape Navigator 1.0, hooked up to my Prodigy Internet account (that was just command line on my Atari at the time) w/ full blown UI in a browser... "Game Over" for me changed my life actually but that's another story..

Then everything changed in 1995 my room mate at the time was doing IT and came home with a Packard Bell Win95 running Netscape Navigator 1.0, hooked up to my Prodigy Internet account (that was just command line on my Atari at the time) w/ full blown UI in a browser...

Ahhhh Netscape Navigator 1.0....after using command line tools on the Internet for several years seeing a graphical UI/browser was a huge game changer for me too. I was blown away when I first tried Netscape and remember thinking how this was the very beginning of something that was going to change the world, literally. Those days were so exciting to have been a part of...hard to imagine that was over 25 years ago now ⏲️

Back
Top Bottom