F*&@#$^% Microsoft

This is all on that clown Satya Nadella and all his rampant outsourcing. Nothing works right. Programs that used to work are crippled to try to force you to buy an "improved" version from the app store which still doesn't work as well as the original version that shipped with Windows XP/7. F*&^ him right in the eye.
Outsourcing sucks. My job got outsourced in March. I was given a nice severance package, and my last day was scheduled the day after my bonus stock dropped, so that I would not miss out. They even paid for my COBRA for a year.

The guy that took over supporting the apps I worked on is a nice guy, but was the lowest-skilled software engineer on my team, while I was told by our product owner that I was "more productive than our whole India team" (which my successor was half of at the time). I guess it makes sense to a bean counter somewhere, as software engineers are not people, but interchangeable utilities....

This is a huge part of why I switched from the Microsoft stack towards programming with...anything that's not Microsoft :p I couldn't stand the forced updates that never seemed to respect user settings; felt like my work machine was constantly fighting me.

Thats a feature not a bug... its called "Hey you need to get a HD monitor" so you can see your NK2 file... ;)

As far as a replacement for Office, I use Libre Office. Not sure if it is available on Windoze, but it works well enough and seems mostly bug free, and it costs NOTHING. Zero. Zilch. Gratis.

Yes it is...I've been using Open Office/Libre Office for years on Windows...just updated it the other week. The suite has been more then adequate for my personal needs.

Sigh.....Microsoft. I was into Linux since the early 90's and deployed for my organization a DNS/Apache/email server running on a very early version of Redhat. It was a quite exciting time as this was all 'new' and was just before the internet was about to hit 'critical mass'. I loved Linux...while it was somewhat raw at that time, and could be a bit tricky, it generally 'made sense' and was logical/well thought out, etc. It was stable, worked as advertised, you could get deep into the innards of the system/services to configure it, and the some of those initial DNS zone records are still in use today almost 30 years later. Good bang for the buck.

But since business systems started going down the Microsoft road we started getting into Windows NT which I didn't need to overly care about since I was the network-guy, and server-guy was all about MSoft....perfect.....until they sent us all of for some advanced NT training...yay.

At the training I'll never forget thinking how goofy and convoluted NT server was vs Linux, and was frankly horrified as to how it seemed to just not 'work'...either reliably or intuitively. I stated as much and the instructor said "well, yea, Microsoft NT server management is more of an art then a science."

For me, that sums it all up regarding pretty much anything Microsoft...I try to use thier stuff as little as I can.

I was a Novell Certified Engineer - Novell Netware was very stable, GroupWise was pretty solid. Migrating my last GroupWise client to O365 to their new ownership's tenancy this month. 3,400 user mailboxes.

Last edited:
I was a Novell Certified Engineer - Novell Netware was very stable, GroupWise was pretty solid. Migrating my last GroupWise client to O365 to their new ownerships tenancy this month. 3,400 user mailboxes.
My first IT job I inherited a novel networks env, first thing I did was s-can spx/ipx, for TCPIP, migrated what I could before moving on... I like Linux, I like Windows and Mac too but seriously, I miss Atari the most... Hands down those people that wrote TOS 1.4 rocked... I never should have gotten rid of my 1040ST...

I was a Novell Certified Engineer - Novell Netware was very stable, GroupWise was pretty solid. Migrating my last GroupWise client to O365 to their new ownerships tenancy this month. 3,400 user mailboxes.

Wow. There actually businesses still using GroupWise? Isn't it long out of support by now?

Time to switch to Mac!

Sorry - could not resist. I feel your pain - having retired from an IT/software career I often shake my head at the weird/inreliable/spammy deployments I see.
Agreed. I lost so much precious time trying to make PC’s just work almost daily. OSX just works. My 2013 MacBook Pro has never crashed with the exception of a few windows programs. When they do crash it doesn’t paralyze the whole system.

MicroShaft sucks!

I really hate Microsoft Office. It is terrible to work with. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice at work. If I could choose between two jobs and the one paying 1000€ more a year would make me work an hour a day with Microsoft Office, and the other one would let me use some of the great alternatives, I would go for the job with the lower salary.

I really hate Microsoft Office. It is terrible to work with. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice at work. If I could choose between two jobs and the one paying 1000€ more a year would make me work an hour a day with Microsoft Office, and the other one would let me use some of the great alternatives, I would go for the job with the lower salary.
Yet you could make a valid argument that the one using the better tools should pay you more, since your productivity would be increased.

Back
Top Bottom