External 1U Custom IR Speaker Simulator

If this idea actually works, would you get one?

• Total voters

Spoons

Inspired
Ok, I'm sticking my neck out here - be gentle. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is another "Outside the Box" idea that might solve the Custom IR memory limitations in the Axe-Fx. This unit could have a LOTS of permanent memory right up front to be able to store every single RedWirez IR and enough additional memory for at least twice as much as required for all the RedWirez IR's, that's a lot of permanent memory. Would either need to be able to load the IR's via MIDI, Direct USB or maybe the memory could be something like a removable FLASH card so memory expansion would be reasonably possible for the user by just using a higher capacity card.

CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR FULL SIZE IMAGES

Rack Unit (This would hook up the the Axe-Fx via the stereo FX SEND and RETURN)

Screen Close Up

File Structure Sample
(A=CAB, B=MIC, C=LOCATION)
The user interface can automatically take the names directly from
these locations without having to manually enter all the data up front.

Axe-Edit Speaker Selection

Axe-Edit External MIDI Send Channel Select

Axe-Edit External Preset Select (If none is selected the selection will default to same Preset as Axe-Fx)

Axe-Fx Ultra and Custom Speaker IR MIDI Controller Together

This would only replace the very last (#10) User location thus hopefully not needing any additional memory. I'm sure that this would not work for everyone especially if you are using the FX SEND and RETURNS for something else; however, I have absolutely no use for them as I use ONLY what is on-board the Axe-Fx and send my signal direct to the board. So if this idea actually works, it would only negatively affect those who are using the LOOP for something else.

Don't beat me up too badly, I'm not even sure if it is possible to do something like this. If nothing else, maybe it will get someone else to think out of the box a bit and come up with a permanent external solution.

EDITS: Fixed typos and added more photos.

After Discussion, here is the "new" idea.
Ok, how about a full blown self contained MIDI switchable 384 channel Fractal Custom IR Speaker Simulator that you could load GIGABYTES of Custom IR's into?

Hook it up any where in the Axe-Fx signal chain via the Loop and expand the Axe speaker simulations without doing anything at all to the existing Axe-Fx.

Click on photo to enlarge.

Re: External 1U Speaker IR MIDI Controller

cool - I'd buy one!

You could also have it running off any output and so retain the fx loop...which would be cool too...

An EQ match tool to generate "matching IRs" kind of similar to Clark Kent's current experiments would be nice with additional post EQ adjustments...but that could be a firmware 2.01 addition!

I looked into the two note torpedo for speaker IR expansion but it is mega bucks for what it is and is still very limited as to the number of patches it can store - the stock ones don't do it for me...

The market is crying out for a IR 1U rack unit with mega storage...could also be used for any IRs (long reverb spaces etc)...I'm hoping this is one of the things Cliff has up his sleeve already...mmmmmmm!

Crap, seems like I'll need a rack bigger than 2U...

Voted yes btw, great idea IMO!

Ya know, before I got an Axe-Fx, I was looking for a unit that would do exactly that, but it never existed. Since I wasn't yet ready to move into amp modelling technology, the only thing that came close was the Two Notes Torpedo VB-101; and it costed more than an Axe-Fx. So, obviously, I got an Axe-Fx and am so very happy that I did!!

And, while we would benefit from added IRs, Fractal could make money from musicians using real tubes (granted they have a line out in their power section or use a resistor).

Got my vote!

Not going as far as the OP with great graphics and all but something quite similar in mind... :ugeek:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-39187.html

...errh... I wonder who´s started that thread in that forum... :roll:

And yes, the platform is already aviable (and unfortunately already discontinued as well some years ago). But someone good in programming knowing how it should be done, can do it without much investment as these Chameleons are aviable at fairly good prices when they are found.

/Mike

I updated the two rack photos. I added the "knob" for the mic location. Forgot that in the original photos. Make sure you refresh your browser to get the now photos in the forum and for the full sized photos too.

Added additional "File Structure" photo information in the original post.

:cool: I thought of this as a hardware equivalent for my "easy no-brainer Infinite Cabs solution":
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22350
Go find this buried thread and support it! :p

The problem with this hardware unit is that it also has to load via MIDI and probably won't be much or any quicker than my solution. My solution needs at least a netbook though, but is much easier to develop (hours, or a few all-nighters :mrgreen: )
Now if it came with a USB connection...? :mrgreen:

BTW: you'll need 2 free temp spots. Some people use multiple cabs.

Great wishful Photoshopping :D

vAmp said:
...The problem with this hardware unit is that it also has to load via MIDI and probably won't be much or any quicker than my solution...
I'm not too sure what you are getting at with this, it doesn't have to load anything "into" the Axe-Fx when switched, it would simply route the signal through the external unit via the Stereo Loop Sends and Returns? Everything is stored on the external unit and it would not use a shred of Axe-Fx internal memory (if my idea even works). My personal experience with MIDI is as long as everything essentially switches at the same rate of "instant" (after it receives the signal from the controller) there shouldn't be any problem. I'm sure that Fractal knows exactly how fast the Axe-Fx responds to a MIDI signal, so I'm equally sure they could easily match that response speed or improve on it so the 1U external unit is always a "moment" ahead of the Axe-Fx.

Did I misunderstand what you were saying?

vAmp said:
...you'll need 2 free temp spots. Some people use multiple cabs...
This idea will allow using two separate cabinets one left and one right in the same block if stereo is chosen; however, if you are talking about using two entirely different mono cabinet blocks you are absolutely correct, there would need to be two User spots available for that to work.

Axe-Fx Newbie Question
Me being a relative newbie to my Ultra, I don't understand why would you need to use two cabinet blocks when you can choose two entirely different cabinet sims in the same block when you choose stereo. You can control each cabinet separately except for the AIR controls and you can balance between them as you like. Am I missing something special about using two cabinet blocks that I should be paying closer attention to?

Spoons said:
Did I misunderstand what you were saying?
No, I probably did; sorry... I hadn't noticed the mention of audio going through it, so I figured it would load IRs.

Ideally it would work with digital connection where possible, or we would need the same HQ converters of the Axe and it would not be cheap.
If not, I thought something like this already existed in the form of the "Torpedo" (or what's it called, that thing that Stef Herbuel is using?), therefore I guessed you had another idea.

Spoons said:
Axe-Fx Newbie Question:
Me being a relative newbie to my Ultra, I don't understand why would you need to use two cabinet blocks when you can choose two entirely different cabinet sims in the same block when you choose stereo. You can control each cabinet separately except for the AIR controls and you can balance between them as you like. Am I missing something special about using two cabinet blocks that I should be paying closer attention to?
I'll quote from a Dweezil Zappa post that has one or two points to do with it maybe:
DZ 8/09 said:
I find the stereo cab to be problematic because there is always some cross talk or some kind of bleed from one side to the other [vAmp: poss. bug that's long been fixed now?]. If you really want to be able to audition to separate cabs in detail it's better to use 2 mono cabs. How do you do it? Create a very simple patch to test. Using 2 rows connect all of the shunts from end to end on both rows so you have direct signal. You can select the shunt and keep pressing enter or hold enter and it will quickly make all of the connections. Once that is done start at the fourth shunt - the reason for this is you may want to add effects in front of the amp at a later date and then you won't have to mess with moving stuff around so much - now select an amp and a cab in the first row. Do the same on the bottom row, try using a completely different amp and cab. Now you'll hear 2 amps and cabinets.
One thing that you should do also is go into edit mode on the cabs and set the bypass mode to mute instead of thru. That way you can work on one side of the sound at a time by muting either cabinet. This would also be a good time to set your panning for each cab. If you only wanted to use one amp sent to 2 cabinets you could easily do that. Get rid the amp on the bottom row, leave the cab. Now leave the top amp connected to it's cab on the top row but make another connection and attach it to the bottom cab. You'll then need to connect cab 2's output back up to the top row in the shunt that follows the top cab. You'll hear one amp going to 2 cabs.

Also, if you want to treat each side seperately, I think using 2 monos saves you from having to use Vol/Pan blocks to pan.

Thanks for the mono cab information, I'll have to look into it.

Yesterday evening I Played around with the Mono Hires using a couple of the Redwirez IR's, there is DEFINITELY a difference between the Mono Hires and the Stereo; I didn't expect that at all. I might need to change some aspects of this idea to make it work better for all applications; going to spend a little time on it today.

Thanks for the input!!!

this thing is nothing more than a hardware MIDI IR manager, right!?

if so, a complete new piece of hardware is too much just to be able to manage some IR libraries IMHO.
maybe a ew "cabinet siulation technology" would be the better thing to put into a 1U...
something like an axe-fx but just dedicated to cabinet simulation ;)

cheers
S.

That is exactly what I was thinking, just make an 1U Fractal Cabinet Simulator that can work in any signal chain and has a huge permanent storage capacity. That would give the user the choice of the stock Fractal cabinet sims or any of the Custom IR's you choose to load into permanent memory.

Spoons said:
Yesterday evening I Played around with the Mono Hires using a couple of the Redwirez IR's, there is DEFINITELY a difference between the Mono Hires and the Stereo;
This is not news. We've known since the beginning that there is a significant audible difference between 512 points and 1024 points in a cab sim IR. Beyond 1024, the possibility for audible improvement is essentially nonexistent. That's why the hi-res (1024-point vs. 512-point for low-res) option came into being. It's also why I developed a technique a couple years ago for splitting an IR in half and combining the halves in the Axe-Fx, before the hi-res option was available. Do a search on the old forum. It's all there.

Thanks, I'm new to the Axe since August this year. There is soooooo much forum information to catch up with on the Axe from years of development; I'll probably be behind for years to come, LOL!!!

Ok, how about a full blown self contained MIDI switchable 384 channel Fractal Custom IR Speaker Simulator that you could load GIGABYTES of Custom IR's into?

Hook it up any where in the Axe-Fx signal chain via the Loop and expand the Axe speaker simulations without doing anything at all to the existing Axe-Fx.

Click on photo to enlarge.

I think it unlikely that Fractal will produce an entire hardware unit that does nothing but run IRs. I think it highly likely that the next generation Axe will support hundreds of IRs. I'm confident it will come. But for now, we all must "make do" with the ten user slots the existing hardware supports. Ever heard the song that goes "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"? I'm loving the one I'm with.

The point is, Cliff knows people want more user IRs and has for a long time. Ten thousand more threads won't change the current situation or make any difference in how soon he develops the next product. This poor dead horse is beaten beyond recognition and is starting to smell mighty bad.

PS... I really do like your Photoshop! Super cool, honestly.

Another PS... If I didn't own the Axe, I would in fact be interested in a product like this if it was priced right. The current ten slots will keep me going until the Axe II arrives.

Yet another PS... I could be completely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom