Expression pedal

Has Fulltone changed the Clyde in recent years? The one I had definitely had a longer sweep than a Cry Baby or Vox Wah.
Not sure on that, but I think my alter ego on stage just added one recently. I will give it a try next gig.

Had a spring loaded Mission EP-1, for wah its great feels just like a Dunlop. Was in love with for a while, mostly because of the auto engage part. But something missed was being able to cock the wah and take my foot off the pedal. Easy enough fix: remove the spring.

But around the same time had ordered a EV-1 really like everything about the pedal and decided to give it a shot for wah.
You get use to the additional travel for wah. It was odd at first.

And I totally agree although the EV-1 felt great for everything else, as a wah it just felt a bit strange. Almost felt like it was working against me at times, using a Dunlop type pedal was so programmed into me since I got my first wah in 1980. But the EV-1 had something that kept me using it as a wah, and that was being able to park it in a cocked position (which you can do with a Dunlop style pedal) but because of the extra sweep can be a little more precise. It didn't take all that long and ended up ordering a second EV-1 which I use as a dedicated wah.

John

I just use an expression pedal enhancer from Oz inventions, you can use any TRS pedal you want with it and it converts it to whatever you want, reverse sweep, linear, log, any polarity, any resistance and even CV. It does heaps of stuff that a pedal can't do, and it makes any TRS pedal compatible with anything. I don't know why anyone would use anything else.

I bought a used Crybaby, removed everything from the inside and put in a linear potentiometer and even non latching switch for the toe switching, that I never use.
I don't see the point in shelling out 150€ for an expression pedal. It might be better, but not 120€ better

Agree. The spring loaded in heel position works really well for wah. Just step on it and it’s ready to go.
I always avoided Wah pedals (because I hated having to sweep the Wah up to turn off and on) until I discovered the "switchless" Morley Bad Horsie II . Then I became a wah fiend :>

Later, I felt like I sounded too much like Vai when I used it and set out to discover any other optically switched wahs. I landed on the Dunlop 95Q, and that transitioned perfectly to spring loaded Mission with auto engage using the Axe Fx.

I bought a used Crybaby, removed everything from the inside and put in a linear potentiometer and even non latching switch for the toe switching, that I never use.
I don't see the point in shelling out 150€ for an expression pedal. It might be better, but not 120€ better

I see, yes good point. Though the enhancer is not a pedal, it does things that a pedal can't do.

I use a Thru-Tone EX-ULT, It replaced my Mission SP-2, which has a short throw that doesn't work for anything except wah. Also, not a fan of Mission's customer service.

That's a good looking pedal. Though I don't quite understand it. Where is the kick switch exactly? And what does the bump / sink switch do?

That's a good looking pedal. Though I don't quite understand it. Where is the kick switch exactly? And what does the bump / sink switch do?

The kick switch switches between controlling Exp 1 or 2 on the AX8. The bump/sink switch changes the taper of the sweep.

I just use an expression pedal enhancer from Oz inventions, you can use any TRS pedal you want with it and it converts it to whatever you want, reverse sweep, linear, log, any polarity, any resistance and even CV. It does heaps of stuff that a pedal can't do, and it makes any TRS pedal compatible with anything. I don't know why anyone would use anything else.

Enhancer? We are talking about expression pedals and not blocks, right??

I use a Thru Tone EX-ULT. It replaced my Mission SP-2, which has a short throw that doesn't work for anything except wah. Also, not a fan of Mission's customer service.
Both are matters of opinion... I've had great results (with both), although I agree that the shorter sweep is not as good for things where you want more fine-grained control.

I use a Boss FV-500L and it works great. But I am looking now to exchange it for a smaller and lighter one. Maybe an EV-2.

I use a Boss FV-500L and it works great. But I am looking now to exchange it for a smaller and lighter one. Maybe an EV-2.

I use a Roland currently, but i want to get something like a Boss FV-500H or maybe trying a Moog EP-3

How is the sweep on the Boss? I have an EB VP Jr and I feel like it is almost too much.

I used an EB Volume pedal for years but bought the Mission SP-2 when I got my first Fractal product. The short throw of the Mission did take some getting used to for volume control but it's not impossible and a non-issue anymore. Factor in the ability to change the taper and value of the pot in the AX8 makes it that much easier to use and get used to.

As far as wah goes, again the sweep can be adjusted using the frequency range in the AX8. Personally, I set up a wider frequency range to provide different 'sweet spots' on the pedal rather than using the full sweep.

Back
Top Bottom