Expression Pedal Use Question

ctvguitarist

sorry if this has been covered, I didn’t know how to word it.

I have a PODHD500X, and can click the built in pedal to switch between two functions, like volume/wah.

My question is for the AX8, I know you have to buy a fractal pedal to attach. Can it have two functions, or if you wanted a wah, and volume pedal, would you need 2 of them? Thanks everyone.

sorry if this has been covered, I didn’t know how to word it.

I have a PODHD500X, and can click the built in pedal to switch between two functions, like volume/wah.

My question is for the AX8, I know you have to buy a fractal pedal to attach. Can it have two functions, or if you wanted a wah, and volume pedal, would you need 2 of them? Thanks everyone.
You don't have to use a Fractal expression pedal... Most expression pedals will work fine. Many here like Mission Engineering pedals.

You can have 1 pedal control two things, but there are some challenges with doing that within the same preset.

You don't have to use a Fractal expression pedal... Most expression pedals will work fine. Many here like Mission Engineering pedals.

You can have 1 pedal control two things, but there are some challenges with doing that within the same preset.

Sorry didn’t mean to say it like that. But yeah, on the hd500x I just choose the wah as exp 2, and a volume pedal on the same chain as exp 1 and the one pedal switches between the two by clicking it. So you’re saying it isn’t that simple with ax8?

Sorry didn’t mean to say it like that. But yeah, on the hd500x I just choose the wah as exp 2, and a volume pedal on the same chain as exp 1 and the one pedal switches between the two by clicking it. So you’re saying it isn’t that simple with ax8?
Correct... If you get a pedal like the Mission SP-1 with a switch, you can use the switch to enable one and disable the other (or possibly set up a Control switch to do that). Otherwise, you can do some "special" routing and then use scenes to determine which effect is active.

I've not done it, but others have... Personally, I use 4 pedals but that's my preference (I have an Axe Fx III and II, not AX-8).

If you really want to have the same freedom as with the POD expression pedal, you get a Mission Expressionator pedal and attach that between the expression pedal and the AX8.

If you can find one, the Mission SP-2 (out of production) will do exactly what you're looking for with no major headaches. If you're handy with a soldering iron, the Mission SP-1 can be modded to operate like the SP-2. The SP-1 can do what you need but there are several threads discussing the issues some have encountered setting it up.

If you can find one, the Mission SP-2 (out of production) will do exactly what you're looking for with no major headaches. If you're handy with a soldering iron, the Mission SP-1 can be modded to operate like the SP-2. The SP-1 can do what you need but there are several threads discussing the issues some have encountered setting it up.

Is this the one you're talking about? This one is called the SP2-R so I want to make sure I get the right one

I can't link it since my account is new, but on reverb its the SP2-R that listed under Mission Engineering

I think the "R" indicates Reverse polarity... Unless it has a switch to change polarity, you probably don't want that one.

I think the "R" indicates Reverse polarity... Unless it has a switch to change polarity, you probably don't want that one.

I cant link (again), but looking at old listing on reverb, it looks like the SP2-R has a switch to do normal polarity and reverse polarity. If I do normal, would this work without a hitch for compatibility with the AX8 and switching between wah/volume?

Is this the one you're talking about? This one is called the SP2-R so I want to make sure I get the right one

I can't link it since my account is new, but on reverb its the SP2-R that listed under Mission Engineering
This is the one I'm referring to: https://www.rogueguitarshop.com/products/mission-engineering-sp-2 . As unix-guy pointed out, on the one you're asking about, the R refers to the polarity.

They are no longer in production so the fastest way to 'get' one would be to purchase an SP-1 and modify it. Otherwise you'll need to be patient and wait for used ones to show up.

I cant link (again), but looking at old listing on reverb, it looks like the SP2-R has a switch to do normal polarity and reverse polarity. If I do normal, would this work without a hitch for compatibility with the AX8 and switching between wah/volume?
The toggle switch to change polarity was an option that could be added to the 'R' series, not something that was standard on all of them.

This is the one I'm referring to: [EDITED OUT CAUSE I CANT LINK]. As unix-guy pointed out, on the one you're asking about, the R refers to the polarity.

They are no longer in production so the fastest way to 'get' one would be to purchase an SP-1 and modify it. Otherwise you'll need to be patient and wait for used ones to show up.

Thank you for clarifying. On the link you sent, it says that the SP-2 has an "R option mini toggle polarity reversal switch"

Wouldn't think make it the same as the SP2 R from reverb?

Please excuse my ignorance lol, still learning.

Thank you for clarifying. On the link you sent, it says that the SP-2 has an "R option mini toggle polarity reversal switch"

Wouldn't think make it the same as the SP2 R from reverb?

Please excuse my ignorance lol, still learning.
No worries. The description in the link states: "The SP-2 is also available with the R option mini toggle polarity reversal switch". It doesn't mean the pedal automatically has the toggle switch, just that it was an option when ordering from Mission Engineering. Whether stores stocked any pedals with the option is unknown. If you were to get the 'R' version and it didn't have the toggle switch, and if you're handy with a soldering iron or know someone who is, it would be a simple mod to either add a toggle switch or rewire for standard polarity.

Here is the Reverb link:

Mission Engineering SP2-R Expression Pedal [EDITED OUT CAUSE I CANT LINK ANYTHING STILL]

It does not have a switch, unless it's mounted internally, which seems a little silly...
Oh okay, so the SP2-R that is linked form reverb might be reverse polarity ONLY instead of having a switch that you can switch to/from reverse polarity then.

Oh okay, so the SP2-R that is linked form reverb might be reverse polarity ONLY instead of having a switch that you can switch to/from reverse polarity then.
Actually, I reread the previous post and the link in it.

Either the seller has mis-identified this as SP-2R or else the switch must be internal.

In either case, it would probably work. If it's really and SP-2 then you are fine, and if it's an SP-2R then you can set the polarity switch and you are fine.

Edit:

I would contact the seller and get clarification

I don't think the SP-2 will do what you want either. You can only operate the channel switching switch on the SP2 by pushing the pedal all the way forward. So if you use one channel for volume, you will have to increase the volume to maximum (=whatever the toe-down value is) in order to switch to the wah functionality. It is not possible to have any other volume setting while you use the wah.

I think the Expressionator is what you need. Otherwise, there are lots of options for doing these things programmatically on the AX8, but none of them are as simple as the switch you had on the POD.

I don't think the SP-2 will do what you want either. You can only operate the channel switching switch on the SP2 by pushing the pedal all the way forward. So if you use one channel for volume, you will have to increase the volume to maximum (=whatever the toe-down value is) in order to switch to the wah functionality. It is not possible to have any other volume setting while you use the wah.

I think the Expressionator is what you need. Otherwise, there are lots of options for doing these things programmatically on the AX8, but none of them are as simple as the switch you had on the POD.
Just to speak on my personal experience, this was the same thing with my GT-100..... you had to have the volume all the way up to switch to wah. It's actually not a hindrance to me so far.

Back
Top Bottom