Expression pedal help!

Sylrage

Hi guys! Just got an AX8 recently. Using a Zoom FS02M Expression pedal on Pedal 2 as a Global volume control. Somehow the sweep is not full range and it gets to full volume halfway through the sweep. Is there something wrong with my calibration or i gotta use a FAS ev1? Many thanks for the help!

Hi guys! Just got an AX8 recently. Using a Zoom FS02M Expression pedal on Pedal 2 as a Global volume control. Somehow the sweep is not full range and it gets to full volume halfway through the sweep. Is there something wrong with my calibration or i gotta use a FAS ev1? Many thanks for the help!
Hello! Congrats on the AX8 :)

Have you gone through the calibration process via the AX8?

Yep I did! Under I/O settings right? I tried with a VOX VOLUME pedal as an expression pedal. I can only get 0-59 but its a good sweep now. Anyway to calibrate the values??

Yep I did! Under I/O settings right? I tried with a VOX VOLUME pedal as an expression pedal. I can only get 0-59 but its a good sweep now. Anyway to calibrate the values??

Great! Glad that sorted it for you.

The values aren't really important, just that the calibration recognises the low point of your pedal as zero and the end point as whatever it is. The AX8 then knows the full range of travel of your pedal, so you have full sweep with no dead spots in the way you were describing.

FWIW, I have 3 different expression pedals, all of which register different end values, but all work perfectly after calibration.

I see! Right now im using it as a global volume control, theres a significant volume decrease when the exp pedal is plugged out. Just wondering if that affects anything?

I see! Right now im using it as a global volume control, theres a significant volume decrease when the exp pedal is plugged out. Just wondering if that affects anything?

No idea buddy - as I don't use anything for volume control. Maybe someone that does will be able to chime in and help with this?

At a guess, I'd say it's defaulting to a lower value as you don't have the control connected and it's not receiving the level info from your pedal.

Someone will be able to help!

If the pedal does not have a sweep of at least 75% (0.75), then it will not calibrate correctly. Check the resistance of the pedal, it may not be compatible as a expression pedal with the AX8.

yeah i did...! I actually fiddled around with, a Zoom expression pedal, 2 of Korg's Expression Pedals, as well as a Vox Volume pedal. All of them didn't work out well. Will be the Ernie Ball VPs have this problem? Or should I just go for a Fractal EV-1? Its about slightly more than 2 the price of the Ernie Balls in my area though.

In general, volume pedals are not designed to be expression pedals. The pots in a volume pedal are not linear. In general, you want an expression pedal with a linear pot that conforms to the requirements of the AX8. From page 20 of the AX8 manual:

TO CONNECT & CALIBRATE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL...

The best expression pedals for the AX8 have a linear resistance taper and a max resistance of 10kΩ to 100kΩ. Expression pedals must be used with Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) cables. (If you are not familiar with TRS cables, see the FAQ on the next page.) Connect your expression pedal to the desired PEDAL jack (1–4) with a TRS cable, then follow these instructions to calibrate:

Press the SETUP button, followed by the #2 footswitch to select the I/O menu.
Press the PAGE button until you reach the PEDAL page.
Ensure that the pedal TYPE is set to “CONTINUOUS”.
Navigate to the PEDAL # CAL function and press the ENTER button.
Follow the on-screen instructions to perform calibration

Yep! Understood! Gotta search for a suitable one... most likely will be getting an EV-1. Thanks for the help everyone!

I am trying to calibrate an EV1 in pedal 2. When I enter the calibration function and press the pedal, the value slider barely moves. It moves about a 1/4" and with the pedal all the way down it goes back to minimum. What am I missing?

I am trying to calibrate an EV1 in pedal 2. When I enter the calibration function and press the pedal, the value slider barely moves. It moves about a 1/4" and with the pedal all the way down it goes back to minimum. What am I missing?
Are you using a TRS cable?

i didn't know Fractal supplies TRS cables. your cable looks like this?
Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 9.40.26 AM.png

and not like this?
Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 9.42.26 AM.png

are you using the Expression output?
Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 9.43.02 AM.png

Is the calibration tool available in AX8-Edit or only on the unit interface itself?

I have been looking to calibrate my Mission expression pedal and can't find the calibration tool

Is the calibration tool available in AX8-Edit or only on the unit interface itself?

I have been looking to calibrate my Mission expression pedal and can't find the calibration tool
It’s on the hardware. Setup > I/O > Pedal

Yep! Understood! Gotta search for a suitable one... most likely will be getting an EV-1. Thanks for the help everyone!

I can't speak to your calibration specifics, but a less costly alternative is the Moog EP-3. I use the EV-1 and the moog and both work well, although the fractal is higher quality IMO.

I’ve got the Moog. It works. It is a bit big. I don’t use it for Wah really just volume on output so it’s ok for me. There is a switch on it as well that I leave on standard.

Back
Top Bottom