Wish Export Banks List with Presets

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
I received my FM9 today, and have been establishing an FC workflow. Within the first hour, I found myself wishing that I could print a list of every existing bank (and its associated bank number), with every preset (and its associated preset number) within the bank. Something similar to the Tools > Manage Presets > FC Banks display, but with bank numbers and printable.

Example: for Bank Size = 5

Bank 1: bank name
Preset 1: preset name
Preset 2: preset name
Preset 3: preset name
Preset 4: preset name
Preset 5 preset name

Bank 2: bank name
Preset 6: preset name
Preset 7: preset name
Preset 8: preset name
Preset 9: preset name
Preset 10: preset name

etc.

Presently, I have no reference as to what bank I need to access to recall a preset without knowing the preset number, then doing a division by five on the fly in my head while the bandleader is barking out song titles during a gig.

With so many presets available, and with the contents of the banks changing with the Bank Size parameter, having a hard copy to refer to at a gig would be IMMENSELY helpful. Without this, I'll have to make a list manually, and then change it every time I add/move presets or change the bank size. If this is possible, PLEASE consider adding this export feature along with the existing ones.

I don't believe it's currently possible and I don't believe there is any mechanism to name banks either. Like presets, the banks also start from zero, not one. The FC units momentarily display the bank number, the preset number range it contains and the name of the first preset in that bank when switching banks.

I like the wish. It would be a helpful export feature for folks with lots of presets.

You are correct about bank names. Bank names aren't important. I arrange my presets in alphabetical order (since I have so many), which make finding them on a sheet quick and easy. The "Manage Presets" tool is fantastic. Kudos to the development team.

I arrange my presets in alphabetical order (since I have so many), which make finding them on a sheet quick and easy.
Tools > Export As Text > Preset List...

If you want it alphabetical, you can sort it in the editor or spreadsheet app of your choice.

Last edited:
Tools > Export As Text > Preset List...

If you want it alphabetical, you can sort it in the editor or spreadsheet app of your choice.
Yes, but it doesn't show which banks contain which presets. I was saying that I arrange the presets alphabetically in the unit itself.

Last edited:
Yes, but it doesn't show which banks contain which presets. I was saying that I arrange the presets alphabetically in the unit itself.
Okay. I misinterpreted "I found myself wishing that I could print a list..." A couple of ideas:

1) If you're handy with a spreadsheet, a little math will have that spreadsheet calculating bank numbers and sorting in whatever order you like. That's still a printed list, so if you want something on your FM9 itself...

2) From the Home screen, hit Page Right three times, and hit the Sort A-Z button.

I just posted this in the Wish List section:

I think the solution is to build a separate device exclusively to switch presets on the FM9. I've started writing the code for a Raspberry Pi Pico.
The numerical switches select the left digit on tap and the right digit on hold. An LCD display shows which digits have been selected in a FIFO arrangement. When the display shows the desired three digit number, I tap the Go switch and send the FM9 the appropriate MIDI commands to recall that preset (and the containing bank).

Attachments

• Switches.JPG
    Switches.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Rex
I just posted this in the Wish List section:

I think the solution is to build a separate device exclusively to switch presets on the FM9. I've started writing the code for a Raspberry Pi Pico.
The numerical switches select the left digit on tap and the right digit on hold. An LCD display shows which digits have been selected in a FIFO arrangement. When the display shows the desired three digit number, I tap the Go switch and send the FM9 the appropriate MIDI commands to recall that preset (and the containing bank).
Nice! This will be a substitute for the long-wished-for direct preset access.

Nice! This will be a substitute for the long-wished-for direct preset access.
I finished the code for everything except the LCD display. I hope to knock that out tomorrow. I also need to design and order a small pcb, and get the required hardware. The whole thing will be slightly over an inch tall; well short enough to put in front of the fm9 without interfering.

Reactions: Rex
I received my FM9 today, and have been establishing an FC workflow. Within the first hour, I found myself wishing that I could print a list of every existing bank (and its associated bank number), with every preset (and its associated preset number) within the bank. Something similar to the Tools > Manage Presets > FC Banks display, but with bank numbers and printable.

Example: for Bank Size = 5

Bank 1: bank name
Preset 1: preset name
Preset 2: preset name
Preset 3: preset name
Preset 4: preset name
Preset 5 preset name

Bank 2: bank name
Preset 6: preset name
Preset 7: preset name
Preset 8: preset name
Preset 9: preset name
Preset 10: preset name

etc.

Presently, I have no reference as to what bank I need to access to recall a preset without knowing the preset number, then doing a division by five on the fly in my head while the bandleader is barking out song titles during a gig.

With so many presets available, and with the contents of the banks changing with the Bank Size parameter, having a hard copy to refer to at a gig would be IMMENSELY helpful. Without this, I'll have to make a list manually, and then change it every time I add/move presets or change the bank size. If this is possible, PLEASE consider adding this export feature along with the existing ones.

I am currently using AXE and FM9 with banks of 10 presets each (I was always used to for decades...),
and I use Program Map to arrange each positition inside the bank with the desired Preset+Scene combination.
So instead of Bank / Preset I'd prefer Bank / Scene name (may as an user's choice).

Did you also considered Setlists instead of banks? No suitable for me, but in that case you can at least printscreen them from the editor with their descriptions, and then eventually use an OCR online to convert them into text.

Last edited:
I am currently using AXE and FM9 with banks of 10 presets each (I was always used to for decades...),
and I use Program Map to arrange each positition inside the bank with the desired Preset+Scene combination.
So instead of Bank / Preset I'd prefer Bank / Scene name (may as an user's choice).

Did you also considered Setlists instead of banks? No suitable for me, but in that case you can at least printscreen them from the editor with their descriptions, and then eventually use an OCR online to convert them into text.
Those are both interesting approaches. But I like the idea of direct access to any preset more. I think my simple little device will solve my issues.

Back
Top Bottom