Wish Expanded MIDI commands

tysonlt

Power User
There are two things I would love to see implemented via MIDI:

1) Set effect block parameters. I would like to create a mobile Bluetooth app to connect to my diy controller so that I can walk around a venue tweaking things while a loop is playing, such as eq and reverb.

2) Query scene names for any preset. I want to read all of the scene names so that I can display them on a screen, or scribble strips above a button. Currently not possible to read scene names without switching to them first. Same story with the effects dump.

These two things would make it so much more powerful for controller makers!

About 1, you can already do this by sending SysEx data. At least this works for the 1st and 2nd gen Axe-Fx. In case this is implemented in the III, we'd only need a table with all commands.

Does Axe-Edit III communicate with midi? I doubt it, but don't know. If so, it could be read out. If not, I doubt it's implemented.

There are two things I would love to see implemented via MIDI:

1) Set effect block parameters. I would like to create a mobile Bluetooth app to connect to my diy controller so that I can walk around a venue tweaking things while a loop is playing, such as eq and reverb.

2) Query scene names for any preset. I want to read all of the scene names so that I can display them on a screen, or scribble strips above a button. Currently not possible to read scene names without switching to them first. Same story with the effects dump.
@AlGrenadine 's FracPad does both of those things now, so there must be a way.

Could also be that he got the data exclusively from Fractal. I think I remember that he got some extra infos for interacting with the II.

But good to know, that the III does seem to have full midi capabilities like the I and II!

I am only going off the published 3rd party spec... if those commands are implemented but unpublished, I would to know which informant I need to pay off...

But if someone contributes the data to your project for free, you'll implement it? Of course the library will grow then, become harder to maintain etc. But since you want it to be a reference, I think it should be as complete as possible.

Yes it will be for the library. I fully support people making commercial software, so I understand why some of these commands might only be supplied to vendors. However it’s not like they are a secret, as one can always analyze the MIDI packets that AxeEdit sends. I guess I was hoping that the commands available for the 2 would become available for the 3.

As for querying scene/effects by preset number, that’s just a bit more basic. I guess AxeEdit can do it so it must be available.

Yes it will be for the library. I fully support people making commercial software, so I understand why some of these commands might only be supplied to vendors. However it’s not like they are a secret, as one can always analyze the MIDI packets that AxeEdit sends. I guess I was hoping that the commands available for the 2 would become available for the 3.

As for querying scene/effects by preset number, that’s just a bit more basic. I guess AxeEdit can do it so it must be available.
Ahah yes try to sniff AxeEdit III traffic, you'll see ;)

Ahah yes try to sniff AxeEdit III traffic, you'll see ;)

Ha yes I’ve already tried it, good lord! I was thinking of writing my own app to filter out the unique codes, but jeepers that’s a lot of data.

So Al I don’t expect you to spill the dark knowledge you acquired at terrible cost, but is the scene name thing at least possible? At least I’d know whether or not to waste time trying to hunt for it.

Ha yes I’ve already tried it, good lord! I was thinking of writing my own app to filter out the unique codes, but jeepers that’s a lot of data.

So Al I don’t expect you to spill the dark knowledge you acquired at terrible cost, but is the scene name thing at least possible? At least I’d know whether or not to waste time trying to hunt for it.
Everything is possible ^^

Back
Top Bottom