Examples of alternative use of blocks?

I've read a few bits over different threads/wishlists etc. about multi use blocks, so I thought I would try and group together anyone's suggestions and examples of using a certain block for a different purpose.

I found one thread for using a flanger block as a chorus which is pretty cool, however unless you can X/Y between the chorus and flanger on the one block its not that useful (clever though)

I also found someone who suggested the Ruckus drive block was more like a driven amp, so that's how I get round the issue of 1 amp block ( I like to use a pan to blend between clean and driven sounds, easy on the AXE FX and now possible on the AX8:)

So an example would be:
Delay/Reverb single block X/Y switching.

Amp block can be a preamp only.
Amp block can be a power amp only.
Amp block can be a tremolo.
Cab block can be a resonance chamber.
Cab block can be a channel strip.
Cab block can be an Exciter.
Chorus is a micro-delay.
Compressor can pbe a limiter.
Delay can be a chorus.
Drive can (barely) be an amp.
FXL + Feedback Send/Return is a multifunctional AUX.
Filter is an auto-Wah.
Filter is a volume control.
Flanger is a micro-delay.
Formant is a talkbox.
Graphic EQ is a lo-fi filter.
Looper is a handy tool for tweaking amp tones.
Multi Delay is a shimmer effect.
Pitch is a delay.
Tremolo is a breath control.
Volume is a noise gate.

Awesome.

I like to play around with effects but I'm certainly no expert.
Any examples of some of these could be really useful, just combining some of these effects into one X/Y block could save so much space if they can be tweeked to be useable.

:)

S

Extreme settings on the gate are a powerful dynamic/gain control.

Diffusor setting in the multidelay can be used in place of a Reverb.

Filter is a mid boost - can replace a drive pedal in front of the amp
Filter is a treble booster - can replace a drive block in front of the amp
Filter is a tube screamer - A tube screamer with gain=0 can be simulated by a filter block with a low cut and a mid boost.
Looper is the most CPU efficient volume control in the box (It's in the same ballpark as filter/EQ/vol blocks)
Pitch block can be an enhancer.

Thank's @yek,

I incorrectly assumed that simply having a volume block in the preset might add some kind of noise gate. Obviously that's not true, so I have to look elsewhere...

Chorus and flanger = exciter via adv page
Drive post cab = cab preamp sim via tape dist
Filter = pseudo compressor, gain tied to envelope, and a shelf tied to pitch

Amp block can be a preamp only.
Amp block can be a power amp only.
Amp block can be a tremolo.
Cab block can be a resonance chamber.
Cab block can be a channel strip.
Cab block can be an Exciter.
Chorus is a micro-delay.
Compressor can pbe a limiter.
Delay can be a chorus.
Drive can (barely) be an amp.
FXL + Feedback Send/Return is a multifunctional AUX.
Filter is an auto-Wah.
Filter is a volume control.
Flanger is a micro-delay.
Formant is a talkbox.
Graphic EQ is a lo-fi filter.
Looper is a handy tool for tweaking amp tones.
Multi Delay is a shimmer effect.
Pitch is a delay.
Tremolo is a breath control.
Volume is a noise gate.
Sorry to ask, but what is the best way to use AMP Block as as a Power Amp Only? Is it possible to use only the power section of any amp block?
Thanks a lot!

Drive Block as an amp - A few of the drives can function as a useful amp - the B7K on its own into a cabinet for bass, for example. More usefully: Many of the drives can do excellent service as a faux dual amp setup. A number of drive blocks work well this way into a cabinet (or half of a stereo cabinet) - as long as there's an amp block in parallel to do the heavy lifting tone-wise. Try this approach if you have a call for fuzz guitar or fuzz bass: A fuzz pedal and EQ or filter block to add as much fuzz as you need where you need it without wimping out the thunder. Another thing that works is a drive block set fairly clean - pretty flat & boring all on its lonesome - but can provide some focus in parallel with a saturated amp tone. For example: along with an EQ block to restrict it to the low mids - helps to put a little firm muscle there if they've had to be scooped out because they were getting a bit flabby at high gain. Sure, its better if you can just dial in an amp to do it all - but, you know, sometimes you just gotta try stuff.

Reverb doesn't have to sound like reverb - get under the hood with reverbs and you can make all kinds of crazy sounds - some of them even useful.

hot dang, I love this forum, I love you creative thinkers, I love the "under the hood" possibilities, I love my AX8

Isn't there a "block" share place somewhere on this forum?

Back
Top Bottom