EVM12l and the GT800 FR

teddis

Fractal Fanatic
Hi guys,
I thought I might start a new thread pertaining to the use of the Evm ( CAB ON ) and the Matrix amp. I have only ever used my Evm's with CABS off . Since I just received my Matrix amp I thought I would back up my banks, save my special patches, and reload Factory banks.

Results, for sure my heavy stuff is improved, recto really nice. Cleans nice too. I have a couple of questions for the full range users of the EVM if I may. I know there are a few of you out there :)
I should say my ultimate goal is FR through the EVMs through OP2 , OP 1 to the board (stereo)
I am only using factory IRs as I have not figured out how to load own hammers yet.

1) Did you roll of any freq, like the 63k like Paul M does globally ?
2) If you hear any darkness...... Muddiness, flubiness, how did you address this ? Within the patch ? Cabs, or
globalEQ ?

Thx !

Hi,
Well yesterday was my first outting with the band with the 800. I used CABS on and man was it great. The amp has tons of balls. It seemed to cut through the mix better as well.
Really happy. Still need to tweak a bit though as this FR thing is quite new to me.

I used my old Ultra/VHT rig with cab sims ON as you know. Took a bit of work to do this,
and I found, in general, that the higher the gain of a patch the more the sound of a cab sim was
negated. Not a biggie for me since 70% of my playing is in the semi-clesn, semi-dirty area.
In that tone territory I think the cab sims add something special, even with power amp/EVM speakers.

Also, I NEVER used the stock sims. Only Redwirez and Ownhammer IR's taken with reference mics like the KM84 or, best of all, the TC30. Those give you essentially a "mic bypass",
so you only get the sound of the sim cabs and speakers thru the EVM's, not the mic they were
recorded with. Maximum 'in-the-room" vibe.

The very good news for me and you is that, having demoed the Matrix in person, I can say
for sure that leaving the cab sims ON works easier and better with a Matrix than it does
with a VHT.

Last edited:
I'm getting my TT-Cabs with EVMs within a couple of days.
Can't do much with them, My Matrix ships around June 10th I believe.

I'm getting my TT-Cabs with EVMs within a couple of days.
Can't do much with them, My Matrix ships around June 10th I believe.

Did they advise you of a ship date? I've made my payment for a unit from the second
run. Worked out to $813.00 U.S. shipped, not too bad, about half what my VHT cost. I haven't
yet heard anything regarding my unit's progress. Wondering how you were unpdated.

Last edited:
Yes I mailed them after placing the order. Expected shipping date is June 10th. We'll probably get a Paypal invoice in a couple of days.

My cabs just came in. Made by TT Cabs.
Each one has an EVL Classic in it. A bassport was added for more linear respons.
One for rehearsals and small bars, two for the larger venues.
Now waiting for the power amp.

ttcab1.JPG

ttcab2.JPG

ttcab3.JPG

ttcab4.JPG

Last edited:
They look great!

A pity that the venezuelan black crocodile is now extinct.

Jens

Haha, LOL

it sure is because it is (was) a tasty piece of meat...

Still, no small animals were killed in the making of these cabs.

(crocs rank under large animals)

Last edited:
Dirk from TT-cabs is a great guy and they surely know how to design awesome cabinet.

Very very nice!!

Congrats Yek

Those will sound awesome Yek. Give those Classics a while to break in.
They are pretty stiff out of the box.

Nice looking cabs! What are the specs(size?) 660 x 470 x 350 mm? What size is the bass port hole?
I am considering the same setup.

Last edited:
Thanks.
About 65 x 48 (incl. feet) x 35.
Dada and I are gonna test them next week with his GT800FX, and compare to K12 and 12ma.
About the bassport, I haven't got a clue (not visible).

This afternoon Dada and I met. He brought his GT800FX and Beyma FR monitors, and 2 guitars incl. a 7-string Ibanez.
I brought my EVM cabinets, K12 and Verve 12ma, and my Tele with sc and humbucker.

I'm moving from FR to a rig with a power amp and guitar speaker, because I often use my amp/monitor to fill the room (small venues). And there is room for improvement in that area. I was interested in Smilefan's rig with EVMs and a power amp.
And Dada has been on a quest for better, affordable FR speakers.

At first we weren't overwhelmed when switching from the Beymas to the EVMs. We then realized we hadn't been paying attention to the cabs...

After correcting that the EVMs grew on us quickly. The Matrix/EVM combination moves serious air, adds natural thump, and notes and chords just have more impact. Low notes were always tight. We were very happy with the results.

Of course you'll lose stuff in the high freq. area with the EVMs, but things like the violin preset and synths were perfectly acceptable through the EVMs.

Configuring the cab sims requires more experimenting. First, the EVMs will do fine without cab simulation! It may be the way I'll run my rig, also because I'm attracted to the simplicity and consistency of this approach (when playing live; not when recording / going direct).

We also used Cab sims on the EVMs with great results. Some stock presets never sounded better! However, contrary to other posted experiences, we obtained best results with the stock cabs, such as the Cali, with or without mic sim. We didn't mess with this for long, so more experimenting is required here before drawing conclusions. Still, Smilefan, care to share some of your IR details? Because the differences surprised us.

Last edited:
Yek, care to share any details on how your EV's with the Matrix compared to the K12 and Verve 12ma?

Back
Top Bottom