EVM12l and the GT800 FR

I send directly to the FOH, and am really (really) pleased with how that sounds in the band mix. It's a huge improvement, hard for a sound guy to mess up, and so on; plus you can tinker at home using studio reference monitors.

Thanks for clarifying. So you are pleased with the sound at home through your studio monitors. But you are not pleased with the sound through a full range monitor in a rehearsal/live situation?
correct me when I am wrong.
And would micing the cabs in a live situation make it less 'clinical' (so to speak) for the public?
I am still in the process of deciding what to do with the amplification hence all these questions. Haven't had the chance to try all options.

I think the best approach fro EVMs on stage with a feed to FOH would be use separate outs for stage and FOH, with either:

(a) If you're using a cab sim to feed your EVMs, add a blocking filter to the FOH send (about 6KHz) to approximate the stage sound and prevent excessive high-end dominating your FOH tone (also gives less scope for inexperienced sound techs to screw it up).

(b) If you're not using a cab sim to feed your EVMs, then send FOH via a cab sim - an EVM cab model would be a good place to start :lol

Thanks to the Axe enabling you do try any imaginable way of doing things really easily, you may well find something that suits you - like as you're thinking of doing miking up the cabs.... I wouldn't but you CAN....

I don't find the Axe "clinical" - far from it. But you've been asking me about back line sound.

There are many others with far more experience who can give better advice than me; but this is what I do.

Simple works for me. I use the EVM12L cab sim in all patches - no mike - patches adjusted using studio reference monitors. Send direct to FOH leaving the sound guy to adjust the EQ to match the room - which will always be slightly different at each venue - plus be unrelated to the acoustics on stage. (And that's ALL he has to do). The same signal goes to the EVMs. Keeping cabinet emulation turned ON for them as well, seems to give them enough of the "amp in the room" feel. If it doesn't seem right, I try turning it off, or adjust global EQ. (See Wiki for how to make on-stage adjustments to stage EQ.)

I do hope all this makes sense?

Back
Top Bottom