EVM12l and the GT800 FR

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a Thiele cab designed for the EVM12L?
Yes. For what it's worth, I A/B'd Thiele cabs (with the EVM's) against Marshall 1912 cabs (loaded with vintage 30s) and the Marshalls won hands down. Much more bottom end, a fuller more rounded sound, more musicality. The Thiele cabs in comparison sounded sterile. Don't know if the difference was because of the cabs or the speakers. The irony is, the Thiele cabs cost more than twice the price of the Marshalls, which I still have. I ditched the Thiele cabs immediately.

Don't know if the difference was because of the cabs or the speakers.

Same speaker in a different cabs will make all the difference..hoping Dirks calculations with the new TT cabs will make the EVM's really shine.

Some excellent reviews out there for the EVM's, as with anything some are not keen, but the vast majority who have tried them with all sorts of configurations loved them..so it's down to Dirk for me to make a great speaker enclosure! :)

Last edited:
Same speaker in a different cabs will make all the difference. :)

Agreed and as I said it's really ironic, - the Thiele cabs were really well made, much denser quality wood (don't remember which type), but "boutique" in a word. The Marhalls in comparison looked like they'd been put together in 5 minutes, plywood, staples and all but sounded incomparably better! The Thiele's just looked like they should have sounded better, but sounded awful to my ear :(

Agreed and as I said it's really ironic, - the Thiele cabs were really well made, much denser quality wood (don't remember which type), but "boutique" in a word. The Marhalls in comparison looked like they'd been put together in 5 minutes, plywood, staples and all but sounded incomparably better! The Thiele's just looked like they should have sounded better, but sounded awful to my ear :(

Hum, I wanted to take the TT cab model that has the specs of the Mesa Thiele in addition to the TT M5 that I have order recently, mainly for home use as it is very compact.
Any other user that could share their opinion on the TT or Mesa Thiele, with the GT800fx of course?

Well I asked for a military/camouflage tolex and Marshall black grill cloth while I chose to have neutrik plugs installed

You do realize that you won't be able to find your cab anymore on a dark stage? :mrgreen

And I have asked dirk to build me a custom wedge with Evm and bassport as well.

Must admit I'm very tempted to get a 2x12 wedge built to order from TT that can be sat vertically as well. Something like the old Mesa wedge design. Torn between that and a couple of wedge style thiele 1x12's.

EVM12l and piezo's

After all the love for the EV's and the Matrix ( with the AXE) I'd like to know if anyone played piezo's or a synth thru the EVM's.

If 'breaking in' comes as an option with a cab build, get it! EVM's are the most stubborn speaker
to break in, as they are so overbuilt. All these folks commenting on EVM's haven't even heard
the true performance of the speaker until its broken in on a Variac or had the crap beat out of it
at concert volume for about 8-10 hours. If you heard the before/after difference you would be shocked.

8-10 hours is a very short amount of time to break-in

When I had to break in my thiel audio hifi speakers I let it break-in for three days at very loud playing with special cd with white noise and a sinus over all frequencies.
This is what the manual of the Thiel speakers say:

"At least 50 hours at moderately loud levels are required before the
speaker is performing near optimum. You should notice even more improvement after 100 hours
of playing."

To break in I had the two speakers exactly facing towards each other and connected one speaker out of phase with the other so the soundwaves cancel each other out. (So little audible sound but heavy movement in speakers).

after the break-in there was heaven.:D

8-10 hours of hard playing is the time needed to start hearing a clearly audible
result from break in. I didn't mean to imply thats the whole enchillada. My four
EVM's seem to sound better all the time, as if they are still in the break-in process
after a year of ownership.

Thiel's...yum. Do they look like these? My Thiel 2.2's

100_0151.jpg

Last edited:
:eek:
I Should have bought the 2.2's :(

I have Thiel's cs1.6 like: http://www.pcdistrict.com/modules/productcatalog/product_images/125879-thiel-cs-1-6-8266.jpg
and a Roksan amp

But just after properly breaking in the speakers I realized I needed a sub and also realized the returnperiod was expired :lol

What am I complaining about...!?
My axe-fx sound great through these. :lol

That's why you buy 2.2's. No sub needed at all. The crisp bass punch on 2.2's will knock you out of your chair.

Reviving this thread to ask again:

Is there any strong preference for using EVM12Ls in open back, sealed or ported cabs?

This thread seems to focus more on the ported/Thiele cabs, but others seem to generally favour open back. I don't have a need for pounding bass and quite like the spread of open backs, so I'll probably go that way. But just curious to know if there are any strong reasons to go one way or another.

For those who have tried EVM12Ls in open back and closed back - is there a strong preference? Are there any differences other than the usual?

My styles are generally rock/blues/pop.

I prefer closed back, but i like open too....the biggest difference is in the dispersion of sound, none is better, just different.

i use my Fx II with a rocktron velocity valve (this amp is incredible with axe fx,p.a sim ON),and 2 x 2x12 vibroking evm12l...i try the matrix, and i like it, but i prefer my velocity valve so far.

Also to chime in on this interesting thread, why has most of the talk been about 1x12 cabinets? Is 2x12 overkill? I'm using a K12 now and I also wish it had more in the room punch (whatever that means!)

Back
Top Bottom