Evh 5150iii 50 watt midi question

Gruggas

Hey, so I just picked up an ax8 and want to run 4 cable along with channel switching. The issue I'm running in to is trying to turn on the fx loop to use 4 cable to get sound. Has anyone figured out a way to make this work or should I return and get an fx8?

From the EVH manual:

To use MIDI for effects loop bypass:

No set up is required. From MIDI channel 1 (default) or the

channel that was used to send Program Change messages in

the section above (if different from MIDI channel 1), simply

send a Control Change #85 message with a value of 63 or less to

bypass the effects loop or a value of 64 or more to enable the

effects loop.

Last edited:
From the EVH manual:

effects loop.

Am I missing something? Are we able to send MIDI CC messages with AX8?

I've ran 4cm setup with EVH 5150 III successfully some years ago, not needing that - as the loop is always on, when you plug anything in it. No need to send CC messages, only PCs, when you need amp channel change.

I've ran 4cm setup with EVH 5150 III successfully some years ago, not needing that - as the loop is always on, when you plug anything in it. No need to send CC messages, only PCs, when you need amp channel change.
The AX8 cannot send CC messages. I was just sharing the instructions for how to turn the FX loop on and off on the EVH 50 watt via MIDI. He would need the FX8 to do that.

Last edited:

Interesting. You say the loop automatically turns on when you plug anything into it? It seems like it isn't on well I'm running 4 cable method because i have no sound when running 4 cable method. I know the cable routing is good so perhaps its my head.

From the EVH manual:

effects loop.

Thank you sir. I knew the CC numbers for effect loop on. I'm just having a hard time trying to get sound from 4 cable method and thought i narrowed it down to the effect loop.

Interesting. You say the loop automatically turns on when you plug anything into it? It seems like it isn't on well I'm running 4 cable method because i have no sound when running 4 cable method. I know the cable routing is good so perhaps its my head.

Sorry for asking about the basics then. Please confirm:

1. Send from AX8 is connected to real amp's input.

2. Real amp's send is connected to AX8 return.

3. AX8's out is connected with the amp's return

4. The guitar is connected to AX8 instrument input.

5. And the effects loop block is placed in the grid, connected from in to out and not muted (nor its level turned down on the front pannel).

If all is set like above, it should be ok then. The real fun begins when you start switching channels and will be discouraged by clicks and pops coming from various blocks, trying to find those which cause most issues...

And by the way - do a simple test of the EVH loop auto-engage. Just turn it off via footswitch, put AX8 in the amp's loop with just the reverb in the grid, for example, and see if you get the sound. As simple as that.

Good luck! The amp is worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom