Even the Axe FX tuner is brilliant!

Agreed: the Axe tuner is excellent. It's got very high resolution and accuracy, it clearly reports what it's finding, and it's always there, no matter what I may have forgotten to bring. TBH, I prefer a headstock-mounted Snark when playing out. It's not as accurate as Fractal's tuner, but it's close enough for performance, and it's easy to read at a glance. For quick tuning under time pressure, it's an ideal compromise between accuracy, resolution, stability and speed.

That said, if I could only choose one tuner to have with me, it would be Cliff's baby.

Last edited:
Actually that is a complaint and only thing I don't like about tuner with regards to the mfc101. Other than that I love.
Cliff explained that with the current technology/communication between Axe and MFC that's the fastest it can get, at the moment. I thank him for his openness, now I understand what we have, instead of wishing he worked to make it faster.

Another nice thing about the Axe tuner is that it has no problem tuning the low B string on a 5 string bass just playing the open string. With my stand-alone tuner I always had to play the harmonic at the 12th fret instead.

Yes, this too. I used an Eleven Rack before getting the XL+, and its tuner worked well, but wouldn't pick up the low B on my Lakland 5. I had to play a 12th fret harmonic to tune it. I've actually been able to tune the bass down to A with the Axe FX's tuner.

You also don't need the Decimator Rack Unit.
AxefX and Fx8 are great about those kind of noises..

In my opinion nothing beats the decimator. I find with the Axe it's somewhat difficult to be able to have a high gain amp really loud and have the noise gate set so you can play extremely softly and not have it cut off, and still hear absolutely no additional noise. The Decimator does this perfectly.

In my opinion nothing beats the decimator. I find with the Axe it's somewhat difficult to be able to have a high gain amp really loud and have the noise gate set so you can play extremely softly and not have it cut off, and still hear absolutely no additional noise. The Decimator does this perfectly.

Have you tried setting the Input gate to "Intelligent"? It works as well as the Decimator for me, and essentially it's the same thing, a gate using direct guitar signal for sidechain.

I loved using my TC electronic polytune pedal and I continued to do so for a while after getiing my XL+, I gave the onboard tuner a shot and put the polytune back it its box, actually I now use the polytune just for tuning guitars while I work on them.

Absolutely agreed that the Axe tuner is fantastic and as accurate and easy to use as a strobe tuner.

My only wish is that there would be an option to turn off the string number display or change it to an octave number display instead.

I know the majority of Axe users play 6-string guitars but the string numbers are an irrelevant distraction for those of us playing bass or playing guitars with more than 6 strings, or playing 6-string guitars in tunings that are far away from standard tuning.

I'm sure this option would not be too difficult to implement, the tuner is already aware of the octave of the note it's hearing in order to display the string number, but I understand that this is the type of small detail that may not have a very high priority in the context of the overwhelmingly sophisticated capabilities of the Axe-FX.

Just a wish :)

I have s turbo tuner on my pedal board for my amp and while I wouldn't say the axe tuner is as good it is def a solid tuner and I don't bother bringing the turbo tuner.

I do wish it was more responsive on the mfc but I understand the limitations. I just look at the axe fx screen when I use it.

Love the tuner. I know about the work Cliff put in to it and it shows!

That said, my problem has never been the accuracy of the tuner itself. Not even with the Ultra.

My problem is the way the tuning walks from a few cents sharp to a few cents flat from when I play a note up until it dies. All of my guitars do it, the G-string is the worst. I usually just tune it so the note is mostly accurate at the first second or so of the note on normal playing strength. Most notes don't even last that long, so I guess that's as good as it gets, although the tuning drops fast after striking the string. I'm sure most of that instability is because of the string stretching when being played hard enough, some of it may be from the tremolo bridges. I have two fixed bridge guitars that do it less, But still.

I really don't get it how people can "need" or make sense of even more accurate tuners if the guitars themselves are so unstable.

Wrong input clock rate can cause this. Make sure the connected interface is set to 48 KHz, not 44.1 KHz.

I've had the same issue... for sure it's the wrong clock rate... I've asked FA in an email exchange to consider adding a splash message to the display if the input clock is at anything other than 48kHz. For such a killer product, it seems silly to me that it will "work" but with anything other than 48kHz and not just tell you. They are busy but I'm hoping it'll come in a future update as I use my AxeFX on a digital interface...

My problem is the way the tuning walks from a few cents sharp to a few cents flat from when I play a note up until it dies. All of my guitars do it...

I really don't get it how people can "need" or make sense of even more accurate tuners if the guitars themselves are so unstable.
Yeah, that's what plucked strings do, for the reason you mentioned. Let the pitch settle out (that happens pretty fast), and tune to that. That will give you the best accuracy and consistency—there's noting worse than listening to a note ring out flat.

You'll be glad for every bit of that accuracy when you're intonating.

LOL

I was digging way to deeper than I needed to on that! Seriously laughing out loud.
:lol

Cliff's actual baby isn't quite a baby anymore. Though when he was a baby, I'm sure he'd have been happy to shit all over your tuning.

I take benefit of this thread to ask about this tuner.
dummy question maybe, but how and what does exactly this rotating wheel ?
I understand it is like a strobe tuner, but how to read and use such information ?
sorry, but it is nowhere clearly explain (video would be of course a fantastic support to explain it easily)

Second question.
Is offset (for imitating perterson's tuning ) better or not ?

:lol

Cliff's actual baby isn't quite a baby anymore. Though when he was a baby, I'm sure he'd have been happy to shit all over your tuning.

LOL. I seriously was thinking "this is kind of a bizarre stretch into Cliff's personal life. And I know Rex from around the forum well enough that it's pretty surprising."

...how and what does exactly this rotating wheel ?
I understand it is like a strobe tuner, but how to read and use such information ?
If you can get the spinning ball to stop, then the string is very accurately tuned to pitch. If the ball is rotating clockwise, you're tuned sharp. IF it's rotating counterclockwise, you're flat. The faster it spins, the farther out of tune you are.

Back
Top Bottom