Error 14. And a gig on sunday, help!

Jan Geerts

Experienced
This evening, when switching on the axe, the display of the mfc shows 'error 14' and doesn't react anymore. I turned the axe off and on a couple of times, and the problem remains.

I've got a gig in two days, what can I do?

Thanks

Jan

Did you get any help here? I'm trying to update mine, get Error 17 right after starting the update, and now Error 14. I've used 2 different midi cables, have the axe set up just as instructed, and am using the latest Fractal Bot from my Mac. Any assistance from anyone here would be greatly appreciated.

Useful information would be things like ports being used. RossG is using MIDI what are you using Jan?
Try a "factory" reset. Hold down Footswitch #11 while powering up. Make sure that nothing is connected to the MFC-101 while doing this.
See if that helps.

My computer's out too.
I've tried powering with 11 and no connection, but i still get error 14
Repowering with 6 runs through the leds, then says name malfunction or something

Tx

My computer's out too.
I've tried powering with 11 and no connection, but i still get error 14
Repowering with 6 runs through the leds, then says name malfunction or something

Tx

From the MFC-101 Owner's Manual:
14.7 Recovering from “Error 14”
Error 14 is a rare occurrence that happens during failed firmware updates. Once your unit gets stuck in error 14 status you will need to perform the firmware update before the unit times out and reverts to error 14. Contrary to what your “MIDI instincts” might suggest, the solution when this happens is to speed up the transfer of the firmware update. Finding the right balance can be tough—it needs to be fast enough to beat the clock, but not so fast that the data cannot be processed.

Ugh! I just reread your post that your computer is out too :ambivalence:. Find a friend with a laptop and upgrade your MFC-101's firmware again.

Last edited:
I haven't done a firmware update at all with the mpc, it has never been connected to my computer., i'm using it for a couple of months now

It worked yesterday at rehearsal, and this evening, it displayed the error.

I hope to have my imac running tomorrow evening, any tips in the meantime are welcome.

And an explanation how this error came to be, since its known cause isn't the cause here. What if this happens just before the gig? This is a serious issue

Last edited:
OK, I contacted support, and they were able to get me straight.

What I ended up having to do was actually slow things down rather than reduce the buffers. Once I got it up to 400 ms everything worked well. Now, in the process of doing this I fired up everything except the MFC-101, opened up Fractal Bot and got everything ready to go, then booted up the MFC in FW Update mode and hit start right away.

Thanks to Sean for the assist.

I'll defer to Fractal Audio tech support for an "official" response, but I've seen similar things happen with other equipment (not my MFC-101 thankfully). It typically happens in an environment where either the power is very "dirty", or, the air is very dry and there's a lot of static electricity and in both cases the equipment isn't well "grounded/earthed". I've also seen firmware flip bits when exposed to high radio or EMR emissions, especially if the equipment isn't well shielded. I know its no consolation, and I feel bad for you. The bottom line is that the Firmware got corrupted, or the memory chips around it where CRCs are computed are flaky so the CRC doesn't match that stored in the Firmware.

Good luck.

OK, I contacted support, and they were able to get me straight.

What I ended up having to do was actually slow things down rather than reduce the buffers. Once I got it up to 400 ms everything worked well. Now, in the process of doing this I fired up everything except the MFC-101, opened up Fractal Bot and got everything ready to go, then booted up the MFC in FW Update mode and hit start right away.

Thanks to Sean for the assist.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the resolution!

My iMac's up and running again, so I've tried a firmware update. No success.

My mfc is v3, but I can't select the v3 syses file with Fractal Bot, I can select V2. I've redownloaded the folder, still the same.

When I start the upload to the mfc, I immediately get Error 18.

Any suggestions?

tx

Jan

From the MFC-101 Owner's Manual:

Ugh! I just reread your post that your computer is out too :ambivalence:. Find a friend with a laptop and upgrade your MFC-101's firmware again.

I found I had to restart Fractal-Bot and re-update. Boom problem solved.

Last edited:
To make absolutely sure that you have the latest version of Fractal Bot please delete the application from your iMac, delete the downloaded file from your "Downloads" folder, re-download the latest version and install that. Then is "should" open the v3 files. Consider using the "snoize" program if you can't get Fractal Bot working.

Snoize SysEx Librarian

Ok, so I got the most recent Fractal Bot, and now the right file worked after two times. I needed to program the iA's again. Fingers crossed this won't happen by tomorrow anymore.

Many thanks to all who contributed, but especially to Sean, who stood buy with help even in the weekend.

Jan

Ok, so I got the most recent Fractal Bot, and now the right file worked after two times. I needed to program the iA's again. Fingers crossed this won't happen by tomorrow anymore.

Many thanks to all who contributed, but especially to Sean, who stood buy with help even in the weekend.

Jan

Glad you are up and going.

Back
Top Bottom