AFIII Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" cover

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor

Eric Johnson "Cliff of Dover" cover, sort of.. Lots of clams !

Last Saturday, I was at an open jam with friends, and they wanted to try that challenging song that we didn't play in years. First, I was reluctant (rightly so!), then, I said "let's try it anyway..."
In short, I totally butchered it. It didn't help that I played on a Strandberg, which isn't appropriate for that/hard to use in the high frets (for me). Plus, I forgot some parts, like the transition at the end of the solo...
I felt so miserable after that, I decided to record it today. It's far from my best "Cliffs of Dover" version ; I played it better in the past, when I didn't have an almost useless ring finger (trigger finger issue), and there's hundreds of better versions on youtube (and with the correct way to play the intro on strings 1, 2 & 4 - I'm not good enough to play it the "correct" way!). But at least, I think I got some of the typical Eric Johnson's vibrato right :)
Recorded with my Axe-Fx III, Shawn Lane preset from "Fremen's picks". That preset itself is derived from my own Eric Johnson preset

Good job! Sorry to hear about trigger finger issues, I had to quit playing in a band several years ago due to tendonitis in my ring and pinky finger. Had a bad surgery and haven't been the same since.

Good job! Sorry to hear about trigger finger issues, I had to quit playing in a band several years ago due to tendonitis in my ring and pinky finger. Had a bad surgery and haven't been the same since.
I'm considering surgery, but I'm not decided yet... I have to fly to nearby Reunion island for that, where's there's a dedicated hand clinic, or to France, though.

Very Nice Pal.....................Enjoyed that...........great tone my friend. That preset in any of your sales stuff.
or you could just donate to some semi-old Italian guitar players if you felt like it....OK. I'll buy it!

I'm considering surgery, but I'm not decided yet... I have to fly to nearby Reunion island for that, where's there's a dedicated hand clinic, or to France, though.

I've had that procedure 3 times already (pointer and mid digit on left hand, pointer on right hand), and still need to get my mid-digit/right hand done. Sorry to tell ya, but if you have it on one, you're likely to get it on more.

The silver lining is that the 3 I've had done were rehabbed in less than 30 days each, and all three are back at 100% functional with no lingering issues. I'm waffling on the final one since it's on my pick hand and it doesn't affect my playing at all. Even finger picking is unaffected (so far), so...not sure I'll ever get that one done.

Outstanding rendition of Cliffs of Dover. Absolutely LOVE the tone.

That was killer! Great tone and feel. You made it your own. I never learned the whole song, the picking killed me back in the day when I was learning it. Harder than all the Satriani and Yngwie tunes I know, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom