ERIC CLAPTON - BAD LOVE Tone Match. ?

daveywoodford

Inspired
Hi guys.

I'm real new to the AXE FX XL, let alone anything yet to do with Tone matching.

But i was hoping somebody out there had already made a great TM of E.C's Bad Love .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGVyJ1hp3G4 25 secs in :)

I always loved this SLO + Wah intro , and would love very much to have this tone in my XL so i can play along with my Backing Track Live !

Any help, would be great.

So if you have a TM Pre of this EC Song, please share :)
Pretty Please !

Have a great day now.
Davey .

Reactions: JT2
Well yes now you are talking, I love the 24 nights era tone, Claptons best IMHO.
So ok, if anyone is kind enough out there to tone match this tone above for me, I'll be so grateful .
Many thanks from this newbie to all things XL.
Davey.

The era of SLO , Armarni Suits n guitar Straps , and Phil Palmer on 2nd guitar!
My education on the guitar growing up as a teen in the early 90s. Happy memories.plus any other tone matching from EC's performance at Knebworth June 1990 would be most welcomed also!
Never sounded so great .
Days gone by......

I used to have a Bad Love patch that absolutely nailed it, but I think I've erased it a few FW versions ago.
I'll have a look later and see it I by chance still have a copy somewhere.
Otherwise just set up a wah into a Soldano SLO and a 4x12 and apply the EC mid boost if you have an EC signature strat, slight dash of delay and reverb. Not much more to it. If you are using a strat without a mid boost apply a PEQ with a generous mid boost a the beginning of you chain in the preset.

I used to have a Bad Love patch that absolutely nailed it, but I think I've erased it a few FW versions ago.
I'll have a look later and see it I by chance still have a copy somewhere.
Otherwise just set up a wah into a Soldano SLO and a 4x12 and apply the EC mid boost if you have an EC signature strat, slight dash of delay and reverb. Not much more to it. If you are using a strat without a mid boost apply a PEQ with a generous mid boost a the beginning of you chain in the preset.

Wasn't his SLO setup based on Knopfler's at the time ('ere Eric, get yourself one of these)?

I seem to recall Knopfler's rig was only using the power amps in the SLOs - the pre-amps were bypassed IIRC. I'm not actually sure what pre-amp was used by Knopfler come to think of it...think it was a Cornish rig...but which pre-amp...CAE? Hmm...Well I'm pretty sure Knopfler turned Clapton onto it and it was SLO power amp only...

I remember a few years back Clapton's SLO setup (all flight cased and probably unused for years) came up for same. The starting price was pretty low, $5000??? One of the more minted guys on HRI was going to bid for it but then the price went crazy as expected so he thought twice.

Ditto that. My patch is broken since a couple of FW versions ago. It's still a tune I play actively in my cover band so I'm working on restoring the patch with FW 15.02. That being said I have 4 scenes programmed, just like the song has 4 scenes. My last configuration before FW upgrades broke the tone was: Studio Comp->Tube Drv 3-knob->Cry Babe Wah->Digital Mono Phaser->USA IIC+ Norm Amp->Medium Room Reverb->Hi-/Ultra-Res CAB (Ported 2x12 Eminence Tonker cab - my own IR). The Drive block also had a direct-connect-to-Phaser parallel to the Wah. That was for scene #1. I use a MusicMan JP6 with both pickups and the amp Input Trim way up. I have many other blocks that switched in and out with the scene. Ping me next week some time because I plan on working on this patch again later this week to restore it or at least make it close again for an upcoming gig in 2 weeks. Here's a pic of Axe-Edit before the patch broke:
http://www.mrlinux.org/BadLovePatch.jpg
-G

P.S. I did this before "SCENE CONTROLLERS" so I do plan to completely redo it "one day" :)

I'd love to get into scenes for each song I play, that would be amazing, I'm so new to setting them up ect... I wouldn't know where to begin, I signed up for cooper Carter's video course soon, so I'm hoping this will help me big time in learning more about the XL unit.
I have only had it 2-3 weeks, and I gig 6 nights a week with it, and have since the 1st day I got it, so if it's not on stage, it's in the back of the car you see.. So no time really to learn, soon I hope. Great unit for sure.
And I'd love the Bad Love scenes etc...

So here's my patch: Bad Love Patch - its fixed "mostly" ;)

A couple of things of note:
There are 4 scenes;
Scene #1 is for the intro and the choruses
Scene #2 is for the verses
Scene #3 is for the bridge before the solo
Scene #4 is for the solo

It needs an expression pedal controlling the WAH
For the Intro and Verse I use 2 Humbuckers in phase
For the Bridge and solo I use split coils in parallel to get the strat-esque sound
My rig is "almost" FRFR. It is: EB MusicMan JP6->Axe-Fx->PreSonus Mixer->Mackie HD powered cabs w/JBL subs. The PreSonus is completely flat, as are the cabs. The tone comes entirely from the Axe-Fx except for that small percentage of color that comes from the Mackie HD 12" speakers.

The sound is very close on my own rig, except for the solo - I didn't attempt an identical sound - just the "character" of the solo
I haven't had time to dial it in more and probably will only refine it at gigs until its nailed
I made no attempt to know what gear Clapton is/was using - I just used my ears

If it sounds like ass through your rig - sorry bud :lol. "It works for me".

Last edited:
So what's the most appropriate cab/IR for an. SLO 100 from 1990? Within any of the FAS UR cab packs for instance?

Back
Top Bottom