EPROM time again

I have had my AXE FX II for over two years with no problems and my AXE FX II Mark II for a few months now and never had an issue with either unit. Scares me to read all this EPROM stuff. What are you guys doing to your units anyway???

Here ya go ..
Parts

Thank you, my friend!

Not sure why we can't navigate to this area... I guess I'll bookmark it.
(note that the cost for shipping this $5 item to Canada is $64.39 !!!! ... I'll have to think of another way to acquire one...)

Thank you, my friend!

(note that the cost for shipping this $5 item to Canada is $64.39 !!!! ... I'll have to think of another way to acquire one...)

don't pick other, I picked other and it was in the $30's for here, picked the other option and it was $2.x , I'm in the states.. I about choked when I saw 30 for a little chip.

Thank you, my friend!

You need to contact support first before ordeing parts:

This page allows you to order miscellaneous small parts. Please order parts only if directed to do so by Fractal Audio Support. (Other orders will be canceled.) Please refer to the warnings printed on the product chassis and have any work performed by qualified personnel.

Where? When I go into the "Purchase" area of fractalaudio.com (which redirects to shop.fractalaudio.com), I can't find the eprom anywhere. I looked in the "accessories and more" sub-headings, and I also looked in the AXE-FX II area (in case it would be listed under accessories)... no joy anywhere...

By the way, does anyone know if it's the same eprom for an XL as for a II? I'm a new XL owner (after nearly 7 years as an Ultra user).

The XL does not need an emergency PROM. It has a built-in back up.

I've got a chip sitting here at the house just in case, but I haven't had the first issue with bricking it. But I went from 13.x to 14.02...no issues at all.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong 'cause I can crash any system without trying; I've been upgrading Axe firmware since Ultra fw7 and Axe II fw1 with no issues.

Just for insurance I placed an order for a spare EPROM. I was happy to see usps offered shipping for $2.50 ish. Thank you FAS.

I don't know what an EPROM is, but I have a spare, which I bought a few months ago, after seeing reports like this. I honestly do not know what it does for the computer-like innards of the Axe II. I think one of the features of the XL is designed to eliminate this scenario. My question to you geeks out there, is, could we have an internal fixture inside the Axe II with 2 eproms, and then use A until it bricks, then choose B, until it bricks, then go back to A, so we wouldn't have to remove it from the rack and open it up in the heat of the moment.

Might be good to have an extra here. I have never had a problem, but I have backups for most everything else I have. Wonder if I can buy one? AxeFXII MK1

What a great idea!

How about putting replacement EEPROMs on the fractal site for purchase.. So I can buy a spare... Would MUCH rather a 30 minute procedure to get going again than the other thing!

Pauly

I don't really understand EPROMs much, but if I do - wouldn't it prudent to include a spare with each new unit, or offer it at least? I am terrified my unit will brick through normal use and last I checked it'll set me back over $30 just to get anything to my house, being in Australia.

Is there a good resource on understanding EPROMs re: the Axe?

I just read up on what an eprom chip does.. Do these chips have some kind of limited life span, is it something to be that concerned about? Should I get a spare?

What a great idea!

How about putting replacement EEPROMs on the fractal site for purchase.. So I can buy a spare... Would MUCH rather a 30 minute procedure to get going again than the other thing!

Pauly

You can purchase a spare eprom from the fractal store. I have one and hope I never need it....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Weird, G66 site had no info about eprom and us Europeans obviously can't order from the Fractal site. $10000 shipping fee is just above my limit. :)
Well, i shot G66 a mail so we'll see what they say...

Weird, G66 site had no info about eprom and us Europeans obviously can't order from the Fractal site. $10000 shipping fee is just above my limit. :)
Well, i shot G66 a mail so we'll see what they say...

Good move. This topic surfaces periodically and I imagine Europeans have ordered and received them before.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Matt and Cliff of Fractal were kind enough to change their shipping policy and shipped the eprom to me in Brazil. Thanks a lot, guys! That's top service level, looking for meeting your clients' demands!

Back
Top Bottom