Epic 80's Song that needs recognition

Now how do I get Pandora to create a station with all these songs? I actually tried last night, and I either got 80's with Rush & VH, or pop songs. My thumbprint station has too much prog (for an 80's mix; you can never have too much prog! ;))
I've heard that Spotify is better than Pandora for personalization. That's just coming second hand.

Here's another you probably forgot about from 1985(?). Van Stephenson put out the Righteous Anger album and this got quite a bit of play. The Entire album is underrated though. Later on he gravitated to Country and was in the group Blackhawk (I don't do Country...at least not much). He passed in 2001. Have always loved this album.

I was in high school in the 80s and my buddy lived right next door. He had a couple of older brothers, one was a guitar player, and he introduced me to a lot of different artists that I probably would never thought about listening to. Alan Parsons Project was one of my favorites, as was King Crimson and The Cure but I don't feel that any of their songs qualify as epic. Great music, just not really any songs that 'defined' the 80s.

This is a '77 song but it's one of the first songs remember hearing in the 80s that wasn't "Rock n Roll" and felt "epic":

This one fits the 80s requirement:

Alan Parsons Project was one of my favorites...This is a '77 song but it's one of the first songs remember hearing in the 80s that wasn't "Rock n Roll" and felt "epic":
I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You has the perfect guitar solo. Alan Parsons surrounded himself with stellar musicians.

Here's a couple of early 80's Canadian bands I bet not a lot of people have heard about.

The Kings. Two songs for the price of one!

Or punk contribution. Teenage Head. You have to listen to this whole album!

When my buddy and I used to head to the bar, in the mid 80's, he would park his Honda Civic close to the door and crank Teenage Head on his cassette player. He would lock the doors, then we would go stand in line and listen to Teenage Head waiting to get in. Everyone in line loved it when the yellow Honda Civic showed up on the weekends! lol

Last edited:
This thread is awesome!!!
It is awesome. We're 10 pages into this topic so here's a little twist. I hope no one minds too much.

This started as a personal rabbit hole spinning off from the mention of The Alan Parson's Project's 'Games People Play' above. For those not familiar, APP would utilize different vocalists as was fitting for the song. Well, the vocalist on Games was one Lenny Zakatek. Lenny was also involved in a band called The Immortals. This group had the song below, 'No Turning Back'.

This song itself is actually very representative of the 80s sound, but not worthy of mention here. I'm posting it though because the video represents how far the 80s took everything. Watch the first few seconds and try not to laugh. Imagine being in that group and having your kids and grandkids hold this over your head! :p

Back
Top Bottom