Eminence BETA-12CX -- Thoughts and ideas

I've just picked up a Beta12CX with the ASD and recommended x-over all fitted into a Tannoy i12 cab. not really messed with it much but I wasn't too impressed, maybe because I'm used to a 2x12 guitar cabinet, but it sounded boxy and "small". I was thinking of replacing one of my V30s in my guitar 2x12 and running it in stereo with 1 speaker cab sims off, one with them on. I know someone posted earlier that they tried this just fo rtesting, but does anyone have any ideas on ho wthis might sound?

Also, another thought, would be to fit 2 of the Beta's into my guitar 2x12 cab in place of my V30s.. any thought son how this might turn out? Anyone else running it like this?

I've just picked up a Beta12CX with the ASD and recommended x-over all fitted into a Tannoy i12 cab. not really messed with it much but I wasn't too impressed, maybe because I'm used to a 2x12 guitar cabinet, but it sounded boxy and "small". I was thinking of replacing one of my V30s in my guitar 2x12 and running it in stereo with 1 speaker cab sims off, one with them on. I know someone posted earlier that they tried this just fo rtesting, but does anyone have any ideas on ho wthis might sound?

Also, another thought, would be to fit 2 of the Beta's into my guitar 2x12 cab in place of my V30s.. any thought son how this might turn out? Anyone else running it like this?

Hey Si.,

I did exactly this. I put the Beta 12CX/ASD-1001/crossover combos in place of my V30s in my Avatar Vintage semi-open back 2x12, and it sounded like complete crap, both with cabs sims on and off. YMMV, of course. IMO, the Eminence really needs the right enclosure to sound good.

I noticed on your other thread that your Tannoy cab fit the Emimence internal volume specs, but it's vented. I wonder if that's what the issue is? My XiTone cab is NOT vented, and it sounds fantastic. Even better than the infamous RCF NX12SMA, IMO.

Keep experimenting, though! It doesn't cost you anything but some of your time. :)

Am i correct in thinking - that providing the cab is approx the same volume as the wedge design that Eminence have made then results should be reasonable with Beta CX ?
and how does their recommedation compare with the Xitone dimensions ?

I'm considering getting a custom 1x12 guitar cab style built and wondered if the volume matching and zero port approach would work ?

Am i correct in thinking - that providing the cab is approx the same volume as the wedge design that Eminence have made then results should be reasonable with Beta CX ?
and how does their recommedation compare with the Xitone dimensions ?

I'm considering getting a custom 1x12 guitar cab style built and wondered if the volume matching and zero port approach would work ?

I would say that your thinking would be correct. I don't know how close the XiTone cab dimensions are to the published Eminence dimensions, honestly because I had no need to check due to how great the XiTone sounds! :mrgreen Perhaps Mick with XiTone could weigh in on this one? I know Mick did a lot of tweaking with his cab size to get it sounding "right".

The XiTone 2x12 cab doe slook very impressive and would be prefect for my needs, but would cost a fortune to get one shipped over to the UK. :( I think it would be a lot cheaper to get a 2x12 made in the UK instead (there are some excellent and very reasonable cab builders in the UK). Does anyone know the specs of them?

Si - did you try the eminence in your 2x12 .... ? if this is an improvement over the Tannoy unit - then could form the basis of something really good .. just as matter of interest what are the dimensions of the Eminence unit with the HF unit attached - tempted to buy one and throw in a Marshall 1922 cab and run it mono ... shame youre not local cos got a few cabs that could be used as test beds for the speaker n crossover ...

Tommy - did you ever complete your project - would be very interested to know ...

I've not done anything with it yet, I've been away with work doing 20hr days and only got back tonight so a bit knackered.. Might have a go at it over the weekend. I'm tempted to try and buy a cheap unloaded 1x12 or 2x12 cab and try that.

Excellent -- I'm think I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. Considering I could build out all *four* cabs for about half the price of a single RCF...:)

I'll order a pair of drivers/horns/cross-overs and try one wedge and one open back. I did see the info on the Eminence site, but it's actually hard to find the 12-CX specs there.

Hmmm... I wonder if a GM50 will fit in the back of the Crates? That could be cool as they are traditional guitar cabs rather than monitors. (Ack, starting to get crazy here... Too much fun!)

TT

I am considering an Atomic CLR and or Matrix/Q12 and now found this thread and am intrigued to see your results! I can easily build speaker cabinets as well for less money than purchasing them from a manufacture!

I also use the Beta 12-CX, 2.5k x-over and ASD:1001 and it's great. I'm now using w/o an L-pad, if there is a high freq. edge - then drop the Axe's global EQ at 16K. Setting the output to sum L+R works better with a single cab as stereo was getting edgy in the highs.

Originally I was using a Mesa Thiele cab but now I have a XiTone Wedge and the wedge is much more balanced. The lows are really tight and detailed and I can dial in the Axe in ways I couldn't with monitors (Adam A7X) or the Emi's with the Thiele cab. The wedge is pretty small and some may prefer the XiTone traditional cab for fuller lows but I really like the low end detail I get out of the wedges.

I am really looking closely to either making my own or getting a killer cabinet from Mick at Xitone. They seem to be a real player against the Atomic CLR.

Not sure if a traditional Guitar cabinet would be the right design for these type of speakers.

I spent an hour in a rehearsal room with mine at the weekend and was surprised by the results. It wasn't perfect by any means but it was defiantly better than I thought. I had a friend tweaking a PEQ block after the cab to try to get rid of some of the top end harshness and although it wasn't perfect, it was certainly useable. Next experiment would be to test it with the band and see how it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom