Eminence BETA-12CX -- Thoughts and ideas

Tommy Tequila

Experienced
Hi!

In my quest for trying different FRFR solutions, I've been toying with the thought of getting a pair of Beta-12CX coax speakers plus crossover and tweeter to try out. I've got two pairs of cabinets sitting around here gathering dust, and now I'm getting the itch to do something with them.

Pair #1 are a ported floor monitor configuration from Parts-Express, covered with fuzzy carpet, etc. $99 bucks each (empty) when I get them a few years back. Currently they have G12-65's in them.

Pair #2 are Crate slightly over-sized semi-open back guitar cabs. Got them for $99 each as well, with G12K-100's in them.

Any thoughts from anyone as to which HF unit and crossover to pair with the speakers? I see recommendations for the APT-50, but it seems a bit squirrely as the specs indicate a 3.5k crossover point but the recommended crossover board is 2.5k. The main option for them seems to be the ASD:1001, which does use a 2.5k crossover.

Since the each 12CX, tweet and x/o bundle would run around $150-$175, seems like it could be an inexpensive way to come up with a possibly nice system. I don't know if an L-Pad would be needed, but they're pretty inexpensive as well.

Anyone done something like this? Feel free to jump in with any thoughts!

Thanks,
TT

I did. In my quest for WDW I loaded one of my old Nady monItors with the betacx and xover. It has 2 port holes but I also left the horn cavity open. I lined the inside with thin laver of fiberglass batting found at Lowes.
It really sounds good. Powering with a carvin dcml200 bridged. It's barely enough power but it hangs in there with the 2 qsc k12's for the wets. Im pretty happy with the result. I bet you will be also. And it was cheap!!
I bought my Betacx on eBay for 78 shipped. Asd1001 eBay for 29 shipped. The xover from parts express for 49. I also bought a pole mount from them so I could pole mount it along with the qsc's
See this thread I didn't need an L-pad
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...ers-zitone-cab-matrix-gm50-eminence-coax.html

Originally Posted by Dramelot
So it looks like a Beta 12CX, ASD1001S Driver and is that a pxb2-2K5CX crossover?

I'm thinking of going W/D/W, 2 QSC K12s Wet and building one of these passive Center DRY.

Would be nice to be able to adjust Hi's.

Cant wait to hear from Galo how it sounds

Yep, that is a PXB2-2K5CX crossover!

www.xitonecabs.com
www.youtube.com/xitonecabs.com
xitonecabs@gmail.com

Last edited:
Excellent -- I'm think I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. Considering I could build out all *four* cabs for about half the price of a single RCF...:)

I'll order a pair of drivers/horns/cross-overs and try one wedge and one open back. I did see the info on the Eminence site, but it's actually hard to find the 12-CX specs there.

Hmmm... I wonder if a GM50 will fit in the back of the Crates? That could be cool as they are traditional guitar cabs rather than monitors. (Ack, starting to get crazy here... Too much fun!)

TT

Cool, when you get it assembled let me know what you think. I noticed at first my safety bulb lit up quite often. Now even at same volumes it doesnt glow as much. Speaker break in?
I love Micks designs at Xitone, but for now this is doing the trick!
I have 2 more blown nadys sitting in the garage. Hmmm (ack.. lol)

So far I have had no needs for the LPad...those coaxes sound fantastic for the money.

I did. In my quest for WDW I loaded one of my old Nady monItors with the betacx and xover. It has 2 port holes but I also left the horn cavity open. I lined the inside with thin laver of fiberglass batting found at Lowes.
It really sounds good. Powering with a carvin dcml200 bridged. It's barely enough power but it hangs in there with the 2 qsc k12's for the wets. Im pretty happy with the result. I bet you will be also. And it was cheap!!
I bought my Betacx on eBay for 78 shipped. Asd1001 eBay for 29 shipped. The xover from parts express for 49. I also bought a pole mount from them so I could pole mount it along with the qsc's
See this thread I didn't need an L-pad
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...ers-zitone-cab-matrix-gm50-eminence-coax.html

Originally Posted by Dramelot
So it looks like a Beta 12CX, ASD1001S Driver and is that a pxb2-2K5CX crossover?

I'm thinking of going W/D/W, 2 QSC K12s Wet and building one of these passive Center DRY.

Would be nice to be able to adjust Hi's.

Cant wait to hear from Galo how it sounds

Yep, that is a PXB2-2K5CX crossover!

www.xitonecabs.com
www.youtube.com/xitonecabs.com
xitonecabs@gmail.com

Hi Tommy,
I'm the guy that brought that all-in-one, 8 space, 2X12 FR combo looking thing to the Axe-fest on Sunday. I used a pair of Beta-12CX coax speakers plus crossovers and tweeters in that thing without L-Pads and the high-end is just right. Yesterday I used a friends DBX RTA mic to tone-match them to a sine sweep and they sound pretty darn good!! --Go for it--you could even try to tone-match them to some RCF's or whatever.

BTW, after the tone-match, I re-did a tone-match through the "corrective" Cab and they appear flatter than my JBL PRX-615's??View attachment 13544

Hi Tommy,
I'm the guy that brought that all-in-one, 8 space, 2X12 FR combo looking thing to the Axe-fest on Sunday. I used a pair of Beta-12CX coax speakers plus crossovers and tweeters in that thing without L-Pads and the high-end is just right. Yesterday I used a friends DBX RTA mic to tone-match them to a sine sweep and they sound pretty darn good!! --Go for it--you could even try to tone-match them to some RCF's or whatever.

BTW, after the tone-match, I re-did a tone-match through the "corrective" Cab and they appear flatter than my JBL PRX-615's??View attachment 13544

Moke,

Looks nice, and a great concept making it into sort-of-a-combo amp!
Just wondering if you are using a Beta 12CX, ASD1001S Driver and a PXB2:2K5CX crossover?

Thanks for the insight!

Tom

After reading Galo's thread using these I put two in a custom 212 cab (in stereo) and love them. I used the asd1001 hf drivers and the recommend xover for the betacx. I believe it was a different crossover than Galo used and no L-pad. I have the matrix gt1000 for power and they sound great.

Guys, this thread has peaked my interest! Do these Beta 12CX/ASD-1001 combos have the sound/feel of guitar cab speakers? NeoSound, do you happen to have any pics of your stereo 2x12 that you could share?

I love the sound/feel of real guitar cabs, but I really want to take advantage of cab sims. I had the opportunity to play through/compare an RCF NX12SMA to my Avatar Vintage semi open back 2x12 with V30/G12H speakers, and while the RCF sounded good, it just didn't compare to my guitar cab, imo. I was beginning to think that FRFR just isn't for me, if the RCF didn't cut it. Then I saw this thread. :mrgreen

I also use the Beta 12-CX, 2.5k x-over and ASD:1001 and it's great. I'm now using w/o an L-pad, if there is a high freq. edge - then drop the Axe's global EQ at 16K. Setting the output to sum L+R works better with a single cab as stereo was getting edgy in the highs.

Originally I was using a Mesa Thiele cab but now I have a XiTone Wedge and the wedge is much more balanced. The lows are really tight and detailed and I can dial in the Axe in ways I couldn't with monitors (Adam A7X) or the Emi's with the Thiele cab. The wedge is pretty small and some may prefer the XiTone traditional cab for fuller lows but I really like the low end detail I get out of the wedges.

I'm placing my order today.

Anyone tried them in a (semi) open back cabinet rather than ported?

Do these Beta 12CX/ASD-1001 combos have the sound/feel of guitar cab speakers?

I think FRFR will still be FRFR regardless of the cabinet form factor. It will be fun to try, though.

TT

Update: Ordered, now the waiting begins...

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear you think, TT. If I go this route, I too would be installing them in a semi open back guitar cab.

Also... I was looking at the specs for the other Eminence drivers, and was wondering why folks weren't using the Beta 12-LTA? The published specs seem right in line with guitar frequencies: 48Hz-8KHz. No need for a cross over, tweeter, etc. I think Mick has used these in some of his cab offerings. I realize these wouldn't be "full range", but would cover the range us guitarists would need. Just wondering why folks were going to use the Beta 12CX plus tweeter/crossover as opposed to the Beta 12-LTA on its own.

Just wondering why folks were going to use the Beta 12CX plus tweeter/crossover as opposed to the Beta 12-LTA on its own.

I was real close to going that route, but I use my "combo" as a vocal, backing track, electric and acoustic monitor. Also, I was concerned that there might be high frequency content in my patches that would not be evident until I played through a true "full-range" system.

If it was only for guitar monitoring, I would have probably gone with the Beta 12-LTA's and just check my patches with a "FR" system for any final tweaks.

I'm wanting to compare the Eminence with my other coax and 2-2 way systems, hence the CX plus ASD. I've looked at the LTA as well, but not really heard it. It *might* just be the sweet spot between pure guitar cab and FRFR for you. Parts-Express has a 45-day return policy, but you have to follow their rules for not scratching the frame, etc.

Only one way to find out.:)

TT

Also, I was concerned that there might be high frequency content in my patches that would not be evident until I played through a true "full-range" system.

If it was only for guitar monitoring, I would have probably gone with the Beta 12-LTA's and just check my patches with a "FR" system for any final tweaks.

Given that you were playing a lot of very crystal-ly clean and effected patches at the show when I heard you, I'd agree that the coax would be the better choice.

TT

Cool, thanks for responses guys. Hmmm..... maybe I'll try one Beta 12-LTA and one Beta 12-CX/ASD-1001 combo to see which setup works better. :mrgreen

Correct me if I am wrong but I can see how the cx with asd1001 could get a fairly flat response because if you look graphs the cx is fairly flat until 2.5k and that is where we crossover to the tweeter
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_12CX.pdf
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/asd1001.pdf

but why would the lta sound flat when the freq response graph shows it all spikey from 1k up.

also from the graph for the asd1001 shows the avg db level at about 106 db as opposed to the 12CX at about 96db so I would think you would need the lpad to balance it a bit.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_12LTA.pdf

Back
Top Bottom