Eleven patches GSP-2101 - See notes for new updates.

DLM

Power User
This patch includes the four patches I uploaded previously along with six new ones. These patches have been converted from the Digitech GSP-2101 to the Axe.

Patches included in the zip:

Airgulls
Band of Jeeps
Curiosity?
Dizzy
Eternities
Killer Chorus
Lotus Lead
Nozone Algorithm 20
Nozone Harmonizer
Rhythmic Orbits

==========================

Specific Patch Notes:

Nozone Algorithm 20 is the 2101's Nozone preset, only switched to factory algorithm 20 instead of the one the patch actually uses. This is a cool effect and fun to play with.

Nozone Harmonizer isn't really a harmonizer. I think it was another factory patch setting I found when I was playing around with the 2101 years ago, and it sounded really cool so I kept it as a separate preset. This patch is distinctly different from the Algorithm 20 patch.

In the Curiosity? patch, the delay mix is set so that it sounds like the patch from the 2101. You can use the patch as is, or you can alter the delay mix to 50% to make it more directly playable. I personally find it more fun to play with it as is.

=========================

Many of the patches sound great with the neck pickup, or with the tone knob on the guitar rolled down to about half.

These patches were made to sound good through cabs with a flat, solid state amp driving them. So if you're playing through FRFR or going direct to board, you can add a cab block to taste or roll off the highs either in the patch or with your tone knob.

I spent a whole lot of time converting these. Only people who have or have had a 2101 will know how close they are. Hopefully some of you will find some or several that you like and can make use of them.

UPDATE: Back when I used to have an Alesis Quadraverb years ago, I had this one great patch that would start clean and swell in volume until it distorted. I was just playing around with the Eternities patch and was curious if I could get the same effect with it. Boy did I!!! The Eternities Driven patch is identical to the Eternities patch included in the zip, except for two things. I knocked the Drive up to 10 and I dropped the level volume to compensate so it wouldn't clip.

Suggestion for playing with it: Set the guitar to the neck pickup. Finger a power chord and pluck all three strings at the same time fairly hard. Chain several of these together for some very cool stuff, and you can go up in the upper range while the power chords are ringing out and pick gently to add in more clean sounds over the top of it.

UPDATE 2: The Nozone patches had incorrect ingain and mix settings in their delay blocks. They have been corrected in both patches and now sound virtually identical to the original 2101 patches. Also, The Zip file has been updated with the fixes and with the Eternity Driven patch as well.

If you've downloaded the patches previously and want to make the corrections to the Nozone patches manually, do the following:

Nozone Harmonizer: Go into the delay block and set the ingain to 50 and the mix to 50.
Nozone Algorithm 20: Go into the delay block and set the ingain to 25.2 and the mix to 50.

Enjoy!

Re: Ten patches converted from the Digitech GSP-2101

great!

thanks for taking the time to do these conversions.
appreciate it! :)

I noticed that the hardest part sometimes is to get the Axe to sound 'grittier', then I realize what I'm doing (dumbing down a wonderful sounding fx device to approximate the inadequacies of a lesser unit) and enjoy the superior result instead.

Thanks for the effort, man.
Years ago, when I was just getting into the guitar, I nearly bought a GSP-21 Pro - I'm guessing this is close?
Keen to check 'em out anyway.

Yeah some of the patches sound slightly different in the distortions than the 2101, but I tried to get them as close as I could. Effects-wise, I managed to get them either exact or really damn close. It was a pretty big learning process figuring out how what parameters related to what and in what way. It was fun though. :) As for getting it to sound grittier, I know what you mean. I don't think the 2101's distortions are inferior, especially if you have really good tubes, like Tung-Sol. It's distortions have their own sound and they weren't modeled on anything. They're original sounding. That was the problem with trying to convert them over. In the Axe I had to find models that were a close starting point to what I was getting from the 2101 and then go from there. In most cases it was Recto Orange, which I've found to be a good approximation for the Saturated Tube distortion in the 2101. To get fairly close to the Grunge distortion, Recto Orange with a Tube Pre drive block in front of it turned out to work fairly well, though I was never able to fully match the qualities of the 2101's Grunge. It sounds great in its own way though even though it's not exactly the same. I think on one of them I ended up using the Big Hair model, but offhand I can't remember which one I used it for or why. It got me closest to the sound I was looking for though. For the clean patches, I usually go with the Shiva Clean model. It's bright and sparkly but can be toned down as well, so it was very versatile. Matching 2101 tone to Axe models was almost as big of a challenge as converting the effect parameters and mixes.

I never owned a gsp-21 and I'm not sure when it came out. It was the first of Digitech's GSP line and had three firmware incarnations. The 2101 came after, followed by the inferior 2112 and 2120 models. The 2101 was and is superior to everything they've ever released as far as guitar processors, even to this day. Unfortunately, once the company got bought out by Harman, they went to crap and the GSP line got dumbed down. The 2101 was and is one of the most awesome and flexible guitar processors ever made. It has two 12AX7 tubes for it's tube distortions and clean tube sound, and it has three solid state distortions as well. Effects could be combined and routed in any order in series or parallel, the quality and variety of the effects are excellent, etc... It's an amazing unit and I'll never part with mine even though I'm primarily playing through the Axe now. The Axe is the first thing that's come along in the 15+ years I've owned the 2101 that I felt measured up to being a modern replacement for the 2101.

Anyway, I thought these patches were great in the 2101 and I really wanted to try converting them over, so I started with Rhythmic Orbits and when that one came out really nice, I got inspired and just went from there. Hope you guys enjoy them. :)

Also, I think I may have found a way to replicate (at least for the most part) the Grunge distortion from the 2101 using Recto Orange (Max drive + boost), GEQ, Reverb, Flanger and Enhancer. I'll see if I can post the patch later on this morning and you guys can check it out and see if it's not fairly close. The flanger I mixed in a little to give it that grunge edge from the 2101 and it worked out really well.

My attempt at duplicating (or coming close anyway) to the 2101's Grunge distortion has been added above. Check it out and let me know what you think and how close it is. Even if it's not perfect, it's close enough. The flanger really adds that little bit of edge to it it needed.

Re: Ten patches from the Digitech GSP-2101 + Grunge Distorti

Thanks!

I was going to do #1 "Lead On Me" and name it "I Lead On Me", since that's what I initially thought it said before scrolling onto #2. But after giving it a listen today, it ain't that great, haha. No wonder I rarely ever used it, but I do remember liking it at one point. "Studio Lead" that comes with the Axe-Fx is much better, so it's best to keep with that one instead.

I've redone "Warm Sweet Solo". It was an inspiration for my main sound, so I'd like to keep it on the Axe-Fx for whatever reason, heheh

The GSP-2101 does not have convolution reverb and the original patch used a "medium" (5/10) cab sim, so any relatively warm cab would've worked. But, I chose a G12T-75 speaker.

Update
The delay has been updated to take on characteristics of an Echoplex tape delay, and noise gate turned off so that you can adjust to your pickups.

Attachments

• 063 - Warm Sweet Solo.syx
    2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Re: Ten patches from the Digitech GSP-2101 + Grunge Distorti

Cool I'll check it out. I was debating whether or not to do that one. There's one called Silky Solo I actually like a little better. I may do that one soon.

Thanks man!

I fixed two of the patches that had incorrect ingain and mix settings in the delay block and added the Eternities Driven patch to the zip as well. I also updated the notes.

I had Digitech 2120, and a Johnson Millennium JM250 for a few years. I LOVED Them, and touted them as the best thing around. They were instant multi-rigs in their heyday.
Until I got the Ultra, A Custom patch on the 2120, or a custom Ty Tabor Millennium were the thing I played through.
I am more than satisfied with the Ultra , and thinking of getting a 2 very soon, but the very REAL and LARGE detriment it the waiting list.
I applaud the discount they give, and how well these products are moving.
Waiting until I can get a MFC before I go for the 2.
SOOOOOO happy to see some of these Digitech presets available.
I have been trying to convert some Line6 POD X3 Pro presets I have used , and downloaded from thier website Customtone.com, but, with the exception a few here and there, the Ultra has what I need in higher fidelity.
Thank you so much for these presets.

The Axe is the first thing that's come along in the 15+ years I've owned the 2101 that I felt measured up to being a modern replacement for the 2101.

Same here. And it's about time! I have since sold my 2101 but I used it for a good 10 years. Kinda wish I had hung on to it now. I had the 2nd S-DISC too which really made it possible to create some cool stuff. It's kinda like the Windows 3.1 version of the Axe 8) I still think the effects were stellar for it's time. I tried your file but I get an invalid zip error. I actually have an AxeII but I thought I could open it in Axe-Edit and look at it.

I have converted the following patches to the Axe II, and actually fixed a few of them that I didn't have quite right in the Axe Ultra.

Airgulls (Still needs a slight bit of tweaking to control the highs.)
Curiosity (Fixed this one.)
Rhythmic Orbits (Works fine but still tweaking tone slightly.)
Lotus Lead (Tweaked this one slightly for tone.)
Eternities (Fixed this one. Clean version of Eternities.)
Eternities Driven (Fixed this one. Modified Eternities that uses a drive to build into distortion on the swell.)
Dirty Delay Haven (Converted this one as a request for someone. Still needs a slight tweak to control the highs.)

As soon as I get one with the tone tweaks I'll post them. It shouldn't be too much longer. The 2101 didn't have cab sims, and I honestly don't particularly care for cab sims, so I made these mostly without them. I was trying one with Airgulls but I'll probably remove it as I don't use it. I use a filter block to control the highs and a resonator block sometimes in lieu of a cab sim, which works great if you mix it in right. I tend to mix it in at anywhere between 20% and 25% depending on how much effect I want.

Anyway, I'll post these soon. I'll post my bass patches as well, but I'm going to wait till after the 3.0 update to see how the tone is affected before I do that.

Hyderipper - The zip file is invalid because I posted it in the old forums, and when those files got brought over to the new forums, they all got corrupted.

I can re-post the Ultra versions if there's interest. If not, I'll just post the Axe II versions, which are better than the Ultra versions.

Here's the first eight (Only allows eight per post). Keep in mind that these aren't as good as the corrected ones in the Axe II. The effects are generally right, but the tone and highs can be adjusted for taste. Also, some of these have been fixed on the II but the Ultra patches haven't been, so once I upload the ones for the Axe II, you can compare them. I haven't converted all of them to the II. Just the ones I generally use.

The Nozone ones I never did get right. You can play around with them if you want. I couldn't get them to pan and flow like they did on the 2101, and didn't get to finish working on them before I sold my Ultra.

Again, the ones for the II are correct and sound much better, so hopefully you'll get to try those at some point.

I just posted my Axe II versions of the ones I converted in the Axe II preset section.

Great, sold my 2101 & got one back lately for using it with a backup setup for another band, these engines are really cheap to get now. Im still looking for this Dire Straits Grid (patch 99 on the 2101) on the Axe, somehow with my Ultra I can't get that delicious soft attack on this crunch sound that I get with my 2101 on a combo amp. I will get a grip to that tonight, it must be possible to tweak that in on an axe.

Back
Top Bottom