Electromagnetic noise/ interference

Actually, it's just dawned on me, I was at a condo association meeting 3 weeks ago and I just remembered that they were talking about a very noisy transformer on this side of the building.

Also heard that the management company had called Florida Light and Power to examine it and the report came back with no issue. Now that I think about it, that's got to be it. I had heard that this was recently, and I think it coincides with the issue that I'm experiencing, and that it's getting worse.

Well, since you're a paying tenant, I'd be first in line to request a copy of said "FLP Report" from management so you can see for yourself what was tested, and what "no issue" really means, because if you're that sure of it, I'm guessing that "no issue" translates to "Well, no issue we're gonna pay to remediate anyhow...".

Yes, I'm a cynical bastard. Trust but verify, you have a right to see that report.

Good luck man, that sounds absolutely maddening.

Actually, it's just dawned on me, I was at a condo association meeting 3 weeks ago and I just remembered that they were talking about a very noisy transformer on this side of the building.

Also heard that the management company had called Florida Light and Power to examine it and the report came back with no issue. Now that I think about it, that's got to be it. I had heard that this was recently, and I think it coincides with the issue that I'm experiencing, and that it's getting worse.
I’m inclined to agree. Just b/c FL&P says “no issue” doesn’t mean that users of sensitive equipment can’t be subject to an aging xformer kicking off EMI. Can’t remember all posts, but is your rig noisier nearer the xformer?

I’m inclined to agree. Just b/c FL&P says “no issue” doesn’t mean that users of sensitive equipment can’t be subject to an aging xformer kicking off EMI. Can’t remember all posts, but is your rig noisier nearer the xformer?
I'm not exactly sure where that transformer is located. I have another association meeting tomorrow night and I'm going to ask the question. There is somebody there who knows exactly where it is. I intend to find out!

I'm not exactly sure where that transformer is located. I have another association meeting tomorrow night and I'm going to ask the question. There is somebody there who knows exactly where it is. I intend to find out!

Maybe mention 'headaches & hallucinations' and 'class action lawsuit' and see whether that motivates the managers to do something :laughing:

The guy who originally complained about it three weeks ago in one of the association meetings, already talked about that.

I am, extremely litigious in my business practices, and I always laugh when I hear stuff like this. They go off half cocked in meetings, and they talk about lawyers and threats and blah blah blah. Good luck going up against FLP! And I can't even prove that that's what it is.

Apologies for the novel but trying to provide the reasoning down this path.

I'll provide you something to try, as I attempted something yesterday after months of similar EMI and ground noise issues/troubleshooting you are facing. It appears to have corrected it for me.

My noise issue was with traditional amps in the room but I think the same would apply here. I want to add that it was getting worse using a quick connect panel I was using in the same rack as the effects gear (bypassing the quick connect, it was quieter but still present). I got the hint to try this regarding a noise gate discussion on a youtube video and mentioned an isolation transformer.

Note, I'm not running a dual amp setup that would typically require the device mentioned below but figured I would try it.

I have a Radial Twin-City A/B/Y switch that uses an isolation transformer on the output. When using the guitar direct into the Twin City and then output to the rest of my effects/amp chain, the noise was finally gone but had a bit of tone suck going on. Reading Radial's site, https://www.radialeng.com/blog/eliminate-noise-in-your-guitar-rig, at the bottom of the page it recommended using a buffer before the isolation transformer "Transformers are passive devices. If you send your guitar directly into a transformer, the tone will change. By first buffering the signal, you will dramatically reduce the tonal effect of the transformer.".

After adding a buffer I had in front of the Twin-City, I was noise-free and had all my original tone that I wanted.

I am no electrical expert so somebody else will have to chime in as to why this "potentially" worked. My suspicion is that the isolation transformer stopped passing the EMI that was appearing on the ground of the guitar cable. Can't guarantee this will work for you but perhaps another avenue to look at. Perhaps there are other cheaper options for isolation transformers for 1/4" cables, etc.. that I'm not aware of.

Thank you for that; very helpful, and I will start looking at this immediately. I played again today, and it's so noisy, that while you're playing it, you can hear it, and it's terribly distracting.

Obviously it goes dead quiet when I stop playing, because of the aggressive noise gate dial in, but that's not really what I want. I want my high-gain tones to sound dirt-free.

I would like quiet! Your post was very informative, and it's got me thinking!

The guy who originally complained about it three weeks ago in one of the association meetings, already talked about that.

I am, extremely litigious in my business practices, and I always laugh when I hear stuff like this. They go off half cocked in meetings, and they talk about lawyers and threats and blah blah blah. Good luck going up against FLP! And I can't even prove that that's what it is.
Yeah, I was just kind of joking... I'll get my coat....

I see well ,time to line your room with aluminum foil to make a faraday cage…. Joke! (it probably would help lol)

hope you get it solved or as others have said probably best to move to a different room or area

Though…

If you can record the noise it might give someone here a clue as to what it is exactly

Maybe your phone??

Last edited:
I see well ,time to line your room with aluminum foil to make a faraday cage…. Joke! (it probably would help lol)
I've thought of that or fine copper mesh surrounding the room, or using conductive paint underneath a coat of regular paint. I've even thought of building a room inside our garage or basement but until I know where the RFI is coming from it's like shooting in the dark.

Occasionally I'll hear my phone bleeding into something but it's a completely different sound, more like a chatter than a steady noise.

Back
Top Bottom