Electromagnetic noise/ interference

Total drag when the noise is coming from outside your home and you have no control over it. How do you feel about tin foil wallpaper? Ok with it on the floors and ceilings too?

In all seriousness though, I've seen Farraday fabric for sale on Amazon. Have no idea if it is legit or not. If so, I wonder if anyone has tried constructing a frame and using this fabric to build a small DIY Farraday cage to block EMI. Apartments and condos can definitely leave you at the mercy of a neighbor's problematic lighting or appliances.
Conductive paint on the walls that’s been grounded might help, but if the noise source is below or above the room the paint won’t help.

Nope, the problem is there and it's worse in one room but it's pretty bad throughout the entire condo. With everything in the place shut down, and only a UPS powering the amp and speakers, I still have the same problem. It's coming from the pickups on every single guitar so I know it's an emi problem. The noise gate helps, but it doesn't reduce noise, it just masks it when the guitar goes quiet. It's not a solution, and at the moment I don't have one either.
Best solution I have found to this issue isusing the Rocktron Hush pedal. It actually does an amazing job at reducing EMI and cleans up the signal a good amount. I read another forum here about someone dealing with some pretty bad EMI issues and how this pedal solved their problem, so I sought it out myself and it actually works quite well. You have to adjust it for each preset, but its really helpful. Its not perfect, and does take away from tone after a certain point, but I combat that by putting an overdrive pedal afterwards and increasing the tone/brightness on that to compensate. It takes some finicking around, but it helps me pretty well with my axe fx II XL.

This is why I'm curious that, with the 3, maybe I could knock out this issue damn near altogether by using the Rocktron hush pedal and the new filter setting on the Ax3 together. You should definitely give it a shot!

Find the source.
1) Turn off main breaker.
2) Source power from somewhere else via long extension cord.
3) Power up a guitar amp with a single coil guitar (or just a pickup)
4) Wander around using your EMI finder.

If necessary, repeat with breaker back on and power up gear one at a time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom