Electromagnetic noise/ interference

Growing Sesame Street GIF

Live video of SteveW's neighbor with some high-pressure Sodium lights watering his plants.

I have the noise 24/7. I'm thinking dirty power supply somewhere, or bad transformer, or some cheap LED light with a bad transformer in it... But it ain't coming from my place 😱

I had a long term issue with EMI from the HVAC system's inverter in my studio, and of course guitars are about the only things that act as antennae for that. Did absolutely everything conceivable in terms of alternative earthing, separating circuits, putting a mains supply EMI filter on the air con, then trying the same filter on the studio supply. The air con engineers were absolutely confident there was nothing wrong with the installation.

Eventually I got another contractor to have a look at the air con, and they identified that the wiring between the outdoor A/C unit and the indoor cassettes was incorrect. Cables too small, and not screened. Rewiring has not removed the issue completely, but has taken it from a major annoyance to something that I can barely hear.

Liam

And even humbuckers don’t help? If they do, Kinman pickups are great noiseless pickups for single coil tones.

Mobile phone transmitter on the roof above? Radio ham above or below?

If you are friends with your neighbours, could you ask to test your Axe in their identically placed room for a minute, to see whether they have the same issue?

Actually, it's just dawned on me, I was at a condo association meeting 3 weeks ago and I just remembered that they were talking about a very noisy transformer on this side of the building.

Also heard that the management company had called Florida Light and Power to examine it and the report came back with no issue. Now that I think about it, that's got to be it. I had heard that this was recently, and I think it coincides with the issue that I'm experiencing, and that it's getting worse.

Tipp

Make sure that no electrical cables or power supplies are close to the input on the back of the FX3, as this can cause strong interference.

So, yesterday during all of this, I unplugged everything and just ran one power cord into the wall, no speaker outputs, and just used headphones.

There was no difference...and I found that even with power wires and output cables close to each other, it changed nothing.

Back
Top Bottom