Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

(this is a duplicate of a post in another thread that I probably should have posted here - sorry)

Has anyone tried the EV placed on it's end as a backline speaker? See the pic - with the EV resting on the floor shown on blue. Looks like about an 80 degree angle. Is it stable? Does it cut it with a loud drummer?

EV PXM-12MP.jpg

(this is a duplicate of a post in another thread that I probably should have posted here - sorry)

Has anyone tried the EV placed on it's end as a backline speaker? See the pic - with the EV resting on the floor shown on blue. Looks like about an 80 degree angle. Is it stable? Does it cut it with a loud drummer?

View attachment 97538
Yes. I added additional furniture feet to the "bottom" as you marked in the photo, and also to the side that's resting on the floor in your photo. The later feet protect the cabs from asphalt and concrete when I'm carrying them into a venue, and to help the cabs not slide apart when stacked one on top of the other like a vertical 2x12.

If you rest them on the wider side opposite the control panel they'll be more stable and will still fire at 90º.

I highly recommend buying some right-angle XLR adapters, and right-angle IEC adapters, to route the cables sideways if you stack them:

Amazon product ASIN B082VM6V3DAmazon product ASIN B07LD59C4F

Thx Greg. I was thinking the side I've shown on the (blue) floor), or maybe even the side at the end of the control panel, would help angle it up a a bit if using it as a backline.

Any thoughts on how it works with a loud drummer?

Last edited:
Thx Greg. I was thinking the side I've shown on the (blue) floor), or maybe even the side at the end of the control panel, would help angle it up a a bit if using it as a backline.

Any thoughts on how it works with a loud drummer?
It could destroy his kit if you threw it. :)

I don’t know because I don’t like those sort of wars, but the specifications page says they’ll do 129db, which is 1db shy of the loudest drummers according to How Loud are Drum Sets in Decibels (dB)?:

[…] an acoustic drum set can go as loud as 130 decibels.

At that point everyone is losing.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what your goal is with positioning it that way, but yes, it works and is pretty stable. It gives you slightly less than 90 degrees (i.e. angled up a little from vertical). I've also put a small block in under the surface you have underlined in blue, so I can angle it up a little more on smaller stages. It has a very wide sweet spot, though, so it's pretty tolerant of angles.

Positioning it exactly as it's shown in that photo (on its side) is dead vertical, and very stable for backline on the floor. In stereo, with one of them like that photo and the other "upside down" with the controls on the floor (requires the 90 XLR and power connectors*) you get a bit better stereo effect with minimal stage space, and you can cut way down on your bass because of the floor, leaving more headroom for everything else. Or there is a pole mount on the narrow end at the top of your photo where you can put it at whatever height you want and, again, 90 degrees.

My last gig I used only one, and I was working with a loud drummer and another guitar player using a Deluxe that he liked loud. I'm told it kept up, and the sound guy didn't have much of my guitar in the mains.

*I made XLR cables with 90s on them rather than use adapters, and managed to find 90 degree IEC cables on Amazon as well. The trick with the latter is that most of them are going off to the left, like in the left-most photo here. It works, but it starts to get in the way of controls and stuff. So if you look hard, you can find ones that go off to the right instead, like the other photo here. Monoprice Left Angle Power Cord - 6 Feet - Black | NEMA 5-15P to Left Angle IEC 60320 C13, 18AWG, 10A/1250W, SVT, 125V
1646667730534.png

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info & tips, greiswig!

Sounds like it will work for my 3-piece shows that are fairly loud, where we use a vocals-only PA.

Many thanks for the info & tips, greiswig!

Sounds like it will work for my 3-piece shows that are fairly loud, where we use a vocals-only PA.
Let us know how it holds up with the band, I have the exact same question - really would like to use my FM3 live, but can't run it through the PA as it's vocals only in our band. Our drummer is pretty loud - I know this because I had to stand next to him last gig...yikes!

I play a Mesa Fillmore 25 with this band and that holds up so I'm assuming the PXM-12MP would be ok.

Gotta say, I was using the FM3 today just rehearsing some songs, through my studio monitors...it sounds so good it's a shame not to use it live.

Hey guys! Anybody have opinions on this vs the G66 MF10? I would be buying just 1 for doing simple basement / empty pool backyard type gigs. No crazy advanced sound systems or anything, our singer has a little PA speaker, otherwise its just drums bass, another guitar, then me.

So really simple gigs / jam sessions. I hear the MF10 is kind of "voiced" for guitar, whereas it sounds like the EV is voiced "flatter". I would like to be able to make presets on my FM3 at my studio monitors (Hedd 07 MkIIs), and then take them and have them translate well onto my jam speaker, either the MF10 or the EV PXM. Sounds like the EV might be the better option...?

Does anyone find them to be a bit boomy with the 12" speaker? I guess you can tune this out with the on-board DSP, which I suppose is another advantage over the MF10. The MF10 only has a volume knob if Im not mistaken, so if you dont like the sound profile...tough luck I guess?

Anyways, any helpful information anyone can give me is much appreciated! THanks!

No exposure to the MF10 other than hearing the great reviews about it here. I find the EV versatile enough that I've stopped looking for a better alternative. Yes, it can get boomy if you put it in a corner, or up against wall, etc. But the DSP has both an 80/100/120Hz low cut filter plus a bass EQ band (and mid, and treble), as well as two different Monitor DSP corrections that also help compensate for placement.

It has some other features, too, which may or may not be useful:
  • You can store your DSP settings in 5 slots, IIRC
  • You can run a mic directly into either of two inputs, and can switch phantom power on to either of those two
  • It has a variable feedback cut, although that seems pretty wide to my ear...but it might help in a pinch, and I've used it to help correct a room mode in a corner that was driving me insane on a gig
  • It's a viable small PA for coffee shop shows
I have no idea how flat the two speakers are in comparison to one another.

Ok, they just showed up and I've played with them for a few min and:
  • They are loud enough for most any situation
  • They sound really good
  • The coverage is nice, big sweet spot

That said, I think I like the sound of my QSC K10.2s better. I'll have to a side by side at some point to really check it out. But the QSCs are more directional with a noticeable fast volume drop as you go off axis. The bottom end on the QSCs is more extended, and there is clarity and headroom on the top.

I noticed some 4k on the EVs that I will have to tame, and I might be able to get a better bottom with some EQ. That said, the out of box no EQ is plenty good enough for gigs and sounds great. Lets see what happens on the gig ... which ... is not often for me ... but y'know ... things have started up, so could be any day now.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0176.jpeg
    IMG_0176.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 72
Ok, they just showed up and I've played with them for a few min and:
  • They are loud enough for most any situation
  • They sound really good
  • The coverage is nice, big sweet spot

That said, I think I like the sound of my QSC K10.2s better. I'll have to a side by side at some point to really check it out. But the QSCs are more directional with a noticeable fast volume drop as you go off axis. The bottom end on the QSCs is more extended, and there is clarity and headroom on the top.

I noticed some 4k on the EVs that I will have to tame, and I might be able to get a better bottom with some EQ. That said, the out of box no EQ is plenty good enough for gigs and sounds great. Lets see what happens on the gig ... which ... is not often for me ... but y'know ... things have started up, so could be any day now.
Try Monitor 2 Mode in the DSP...

I just ordered one as well. I figured onboard DSP is pretty powerful and should really allow you to dial it in how you want. That on top of being able to have it serviced here in the US should something go wrong...it is also cheaper than the MF10 by a good shot. I will post my impressions as well, should be here by Friday!

I bought another over the weekend. In case no one has noticed, these things have gone up a 100.00 from 799.00 to 899.00. There's some listed on Reverb for 799.00 so grab em while you can!

I bought another over the weekend. In case no one has noticed, these things have gone up a 100.00 from 799.00 to 899.00. There's some listed on Reverb for 799.00 so grab em while you can!
The EV subs I was going to purchase but have been out of stock for awhile have gone up from $999 to $1200.

Haha damn, I just barely snuck in on time. Snagged for $799, but yes looks like now listed everywhere for $100 more. Excited to hear mine!

Found this a really useful thread, thank you - I have been looking at the Dynaudio AXM12a / EV PXM-12MP to use as keyboard monitors and this has been by far the most useful conversation I've found about the -12MPs generally. While I realise this is very much a guitar oriented discussion, just curious if any of y'all happen to have used them for keys as well ?

Back
Top Bottom