Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

So I'm guessing you're using Monitor 1 mode as that's the default?

Mine are on the floor.
Mine are on the floor and I use Monitor 2 because it’s a little flatter. EV publishes the frequency response curves in the manual and Monitor 1 is about 4db down at 200 Hz compared to Monitor 2.

Mine are on the floor and I use Monitor 2 because it’s a little flatter. EV publishes the frequency response curves in the manual and Monitor 1 is about 4db down at 200 Hz compared to Monitor 2.
That's what I was thinking from memory of checking the specs before.

Gotta say, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one digging these. And I assume the new units are coming devoid of that odd distortion I referred to and which was fixed for several of us?

Gotta say, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one digging these. And I assume the new units are coming devoid of that odd distortion I referred to and which was fixed for several of us?
I tried mine with a Ring Modulator on set for an octave down and also with the Octave Divider to get some low bass notes. I didn't notice anything unusual.

Well mine started up with that distortion last night. While I was noodling around and went to a clean preset and noticed it after I let an open E chord ring out and die away I heard it, It is very light but it is there. I will be contacting BOSH for an RMA.

Well mine started up with that distortion last night. While I was noodling around and went to a clean preset and noticed it after I let an open E chord ring out and die away I heard it, It is very light but it is there. I will be contacting BOSH for an RMA.
That’s a drag. It will be worth it, though. I still maintain that the noise in both my speakers was so low that it would never have been noticed in gigs.

What is the best way to test?
On mine, I didn't need to target any particular frequency or put an octaver on or anything. Both of them had a "tell" at the tail end of a note or chord decaying where it sounded like the low signal level was starting to bump into a noise gate or something, so there was an artifact that sounded almost like distortion.

On mine, I didn't need to target any particular frequency or put an octaver on or anything. Both of them had a "tell" at the tail end of a note or chord decaying where it sounded like the low signal level was starting to bump into a noise gate or something, so there was an artifact that sounded almost like distortion.

Avoid any amp simulation. Just feed it a very clean bass, guitar or sine wave (playing single low notes) It will reveal that bzzzz. It follows the notes that are played, like a weak distorted signal some octaves above.
Thanks... I just finished playing and I was listening before reading this.

I think I might be experiencing this as well. I play a lot with edge of breakup tones and trying to tell if I was imagining it or not.

I'll try to use the Synth block and listen with a sine wave and see.

Thanks... I just finished playing and I was listening before reading this.

I think I might be experiencing this as well. I play a lot with edge of breakup tones and trying to tell if I was imagining it or not.

I'll try to use the Synth block and listen with a sine wave and see.
All that's really needed is a clean tone, turn them up so you can hear it and hit a single note and let it die out. As greiswig has posted You will hear the note start to distort or make a splatter, just as if it's overloading the input stage.
That’s a drag. It will be worth it, though. I still maintain that the noise in both my speakers was so low that it would never have been noticed in gigs.
Agreed! I had been really pushing my monitors the last few weeks and I had not been doing any intense listing until last night at a bedroom volume. Once I turn up to a gig volume I cant hear it at all.

The only problem I have with this is what happens (if anything) down the road? I'm not worried as I have Sweet Water behind me for 2 years. I just don't want to be at a gig and have a complete failure.

They will be going back for the repair no matter how minor it might be! I just have to find the time to get it done :rolleyes:

All that's really needed is a clean tone, turn them up so you can hear it and hit a single note and let it die out. As greiswig has posted You will hear the note start to distort or make a splatter, just as if it's overloading the input stage.

Agreed! I had been really pushing my monitors the last few weeks and I had not been doing any intense listing until last night at a bedroom volume. Once I turn up to a gig volume I cant hear it at all.

The only problem I have with this is what happens (if anything) down the road? I'm not worried as I have Sweet Water behind me for 2 years. I just don't want to be at a gig and have a complete failure.

They will be going back for the repair no matter how minor it might be! I just have to find the time to get it done :rolleyes:
Haven't heard about any sudden catastrophic failures with these, just the quiet distortion thing.

I'd still go with getting them fixed, so you don't have to wonder if they're the cause of any strange noises you hear.

Haven't heard about any sudden catastrophic failures with these, just the quiet distortion thing.

I'd still go with getting them fixed, so you don't have to wonder if they're the cause of any strange noises you hear.
I wasn't suggesting they have that problem but more of a what if type of question. I have no idea what is causing the issue but what if by not fixing it, it causes a reliability problem down the road? ;)

Not saying this will happen it's just that you can't tell these days with how some things are built. Let's face it this is not pro touring PA gear and these will probably spend most of their time on the floor in my home with the once a week in the back of my truck going to the gig.

Just curious, how are you all setting the Input Level controls?

Right now I've got them right at center (unity gain, per the manual). My FM9 is at 30% on Output 1 (I think it's set to +4dB output).

I've got the speaker Master Volume on +4dB...

They don't have any real instructions on gain staging although I think I should check the level meters to get a better idea of how they like what I'm sending in.

Right now I've got them right at center (unity gain, per the manual). My FM9 is at 30% on Output 1 (I think it's set to +4dB output).

They don't have any real instructions on gain staging although I think I should check the level meters to get a better idea of how they like what I'm sending in.
I run into a Soundcraft Ui 16 first so I have the I/O set at -10 and have the FM9 OP set at 10 o'clock I have the master volume on the monitor at 0dB!

Unity gain, master at default, and I control my overall volume with the Output 2 knob. Never had any issues with headroom with that setting. I did play with these when I first discovered that noise, but settings changes had zero effect on it.

Out 1 is at +4db in the System settings if I remember right. The Out 1 knob is at 11:00-12:00. All presets are leveled to 0db. I had it at 1:00 once and it was fricken loud. The PA was averaging 106db and peaking at 111db and the cabs were keeping up easily.
I have my cabs’ volume at 0db.

I've had my EV for about a week and I used it for the first time at a rehearsal last night. I brought it to the conservatory that I teach at and one of the other teachers tried his HX Stomp through it and wants to buy one now. I'm way happier with this speaker than I expected to be.

275148749_10160129514887425_1398189171496529035_n.jpeg275202600_10160130033107425_6199784507838141893_n.jpegIMG_1334.jpg

Back
Top Bottom