Effects on delay repeats?

bigbrown2056

Inspired
Sorry for asking this, but I couldn't find the answer and forgot how to do it. How do you put effects on just the repeats on delays? Thanks guys.

I think you would need to put the delay in parallel and then put the effects you want applied to the repeats after the delay...

Can you treat each delay repeat separately? I wonder how people here would go about it. I tried once to create a more aggressive tape delay effect - trying to make the longer repeats very muffled and spacey / washy compared to the shorter delays. I wasn't very successful.

If you want delays to get more heavily effected with each repeat, you could put the delay as a parallel path, after it put the effect you want (chorus, detuned, flange, phase, verb, all work pretty well, with low mix) , in then place the whole parallel path in a send/return loop. Each time it goes back through the loop it gets effected again. Be careful as you turn up the mix o the send/return though, you can get some earsplitting digital feedback if you aren't.

Last edited:
If you want delays to get more heavily effected with each repeat, you could put the delay as a parallel path, after it put the effect you want (chorus, detuned, flange, phase, verb, all work pretty well, with low mix) , in then place the whole parallel path in a send/return loop. Each time it goes back through the loop it gets effected again. Be careful as you turn up the mix o the send/return though, you can get some earsplitting digital feedback if you aren't.

Nice. That is a great trick. Thanks for that tip!

Can you treat each delay repeat separately? I wonder how people here would go about it. I tried once to create a more aggressive tape delay effect - trying to make the longer repeats very muffled and spacey / washy compared to the shorter delays. I wasn't very successful.

you can do this already just within the delay block itself. choose the tape delay or perhaps the ambient delay. use the eq section to roll off the highs and then use the diffusion parameter to make the repeats washy

you can do this already just within the delay block itself. choose the tape delay or perhaps the ambient delay. use the eq section to roll off the highs and then use the diffusion parameter to make the repeats washy
That's right. The diffusion parameter is there for getting that classic shmear in the delay repeats. I've used it on occasion, but most of the time I'll prefer the repeats to be nice and clear.

Sorry for asking this, but I couldn't find the answer and forgot how to do it. How do you put effects on just the repeats on delays? Thanks guys.

A good example of what you're looking for is Factory preset 346 or 347: Corbomite Maneuver

It adds some cool FX to the delay repeats. You can take a look at it in Axe-Edit to see how it's programmed. It uses some modifiers to randomize some of the FX on the delay repeats.

Back
Top Bottom