Effects comparison of the eclipse to the axe

gsegal

Inspired
Has anyone compared the effect quality of these units back to back? I'm not talking about any modeling or versatility I know the axe does more, just the quality of fx such as reverb, delay, crystals and harmonizer. Drives I'm not concerned with I don't use the axe for that anymore. Thanks for your input!

IMO opinion Axe got its own effects but what i would add is more filters like in POD so you can get crazy sounds. But to be honest axe is very close to most of them.

How many simultaneous effects do you need? As far as I know it is impossible to create a single Eclipse preset with the four effects you mentioned: Delay + Reverb + Crystals + Harmonizer. There are exceptions, but generally the Eclipse can only do two effects at once.

The effect quality in the Eclipse is very good.

I would like to use it like a vurtual pedal board the way I use my axe. I guess I can have 2 in each preset and turn them on and off.

The Eclipse is pretty powerful and sounds great - warm and lush. I'd say the fx are just as good and if only the Axe has the same main encoder dial that Eventide use...it was fantastic, by the far the best I've ever used.

But, I found the Eclipse a pain to program. Don't underestimate its power and try to compare the FX blocks because Eventide does it differently...but for me, I struggled and I'm actually a pretty techie guy. I guess when I was in musical mode, I found a complete brain-shift required to figure out what was needed, sometimes to even provision a basic delay or chorus...it was like, well you can have four delays...well I don't want four I want one :D

I really liked the reverb - different to other units but something about it really worked for me (for guitar). Drives were crap, imo but you don't care about that and it's not why I bought the unit.

Finally, if you are thinking about using the unit on vocals, the Eclipse doesn't have the 'Ultraharmonizer' so it doesn't do a good job of vocal harmonies...not sure about the Axe, never tried...anyway, you're probably not interested in that, just thought I'd mention it.

+1 What Hysteria said.

I understand that the OP is not talking about versatility, programming or number of effects, but about the quality of the effects. I owned the Ecipse before the Axe-FX Standard, and I can say that the mentioned effects were a little bit more refined, warm and delicate at the Eclipse. That was a very long time ago, and I've never had an Eclipse again, so right now I would not be able to translate that opinion to the Axe-FX II. From my memory I would say that the effects at the II are much better than at the Standard.

I have the Eclipse and an H8000FW. I had the h8000 in my rack but I never used it there for anything the Eclipse couldn't do do it is in my studio setup now. I use the Eclipse when my CPU use get too high. That only happens in a couple of presets.
the delay in switch patches is huge on the eclipse. Programming is very limited and can be cumbersome at times. Some of the effects are really sweet on the eclipse. I really like the Format filter in the Eclipse and H8000. There are some cool huge reverbs. Also just about everything is modifiable in the Eclipse. Great huge ambient effects, very little that axe-fx can't do as well. They won't sound exactly the same on a lot of things but both sound great in their own right.

For some type of crystal effects I like the eclipse more, on others the Axe-fx. Same with reverb and multi-day. The are like different flavors of ice cream. You need to try to see which you like. If I could have only one for effects, it would hands down be the Axe-fx. At least for the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom