Echoplex tape delay sound using the Fractal Axe-fx?

Sweet!

Some great info here.

Especially putting the tape drive block in front of the delay and feeding the output of the delay back through the drive block for the repeats. That would make sense and give the characteristics of the tape echo degeneration on each repeat.

But guys...where would you set the drive parameter in the delay block itself or would you leave that at zero and use the tape drive block alone to get the dirt?

Love and Peace,

K

Kristine Livingston said:
Sweet!

Some great info here.

Especially putting the tape drive block in front of the delay and feeding the output of the delay back through the drive block for the repeats. That would make sense and give the characteristics of the tape echo degeneration on each repeat.

But guys...where would you set the drive parameter in the delay block itself or would you leave that at zero and use the tape drive block alone to get the dirt?

Love and Peace,

K

Actually, cliff improved the drive parameter on the delay block so it may not be necessary to put the tape drive in, but if you were using the tape drive you probably wouldn't use the drive in the delay block. But whatever sounds good. Try it different ways and use your ear.

javajunkie said:
LAYGO said:
Any way to get changing the delay time to affect pitch?

It already does?

Here is adjusting delay time on the delay with a pedal:
http://www.javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/delaypitch.mp3

Ok, a search on that link doesn't turn up any other posts on how you might've achieved it, so would you be so kind as to elaborate.

I've hooked up the delay time to an expression pedal & changing the time didn't really achieve much, so I must be missing another step.

Keep the start and end between 0 and 10-15% (keep the delay times down to what analog delays generally have), if I remember correctly. Add dampening to slow the changes down.

javajunkie said:
Keep the start and end between 0 and 10-15% (keep the delay times down to what analog delays generally have), if I remember correctly. Add dampening to slow the changes down.

Cool, I shall fiddlenate with it soon.

I've fiddled with it for the last several days and I still can't get a confincing tape echo out of the Axe-Fx. I've tried all the suggestions here in this thread. Maybe a request for an actual tape echo mode in the delay block would be something to think about?

Tres Cool!

I watched the demo....I think I want one of these.

Do you know if the TTE lasts very long or is it a total maintanance nightmare?

How long do the tapes last for?

IN the digital modelling world...what best simulates a tape echo like this TTE unit?

That software does look interesting but perhaps a tad overboard in terms of how many parameters and controls it has.

I was meaning more in the Digital hardware pedal or rack configuration. What does the best tape echo emulation?

Also, if you click on that "Peter Thorn" Artist Spotlight picture at the bottom of the home Fractal Audio website page and then click on the picture of the two dudes sitting in the studio on the page it takes you to, a media player opens up and plays a clip called

"Axe Fx Tape Echo"

That clip sounds pretty good to me. Does anyone know if the program or preset used to created that audio clip is available anywhere so that I can take a look and see how tape echo emulation is best done using the Axe-Fx?

Kristine Livingston said:
That software does look interesting but perhaps a tad overboard in terms of how many parameters and controls it has.

I was meaning more in the Digital hardware pedal or rack configuration. What does the best tape echo emulation?

Also, if you click on that "Peter Thorn" Artist Spotlight picture at the bottom of the home Fractal Audio website page and then click on the picture of the two dudes sitting in the studio on the page it takes you to, a media player opens up and plays a clip called

"Axe Fx Tape Echo"

That clip sounds pretty good to me. Does anyone know if the program or preset used to created that audio clip is available anywhere so that I can take a look and see how tape echo emulation is best done using the Axe-Fx?

Cliff made that clip awhile back, nothing fancy. That is clip is basically these parameters:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... Tape_delay

Of course I already referred to these settings at the beginning of the thread :roll:

Deja vu all over again...

From the old forum:

I put that together in about two minutes. It's just a stereo delay as follows:

Time: 500 ms
Ratio: 99.6%
Hi-Cut: 150 Hz
Lo-Cut: 4 kHz
Drive: 6
LFO2 Rate: 3 Hz
LFO2 Depth: 30%
LFO2 Phase: 90 deg
Mix: 50%

CC

FractalAudio said:
Deja vu all over again...

From the old forum:

I put that together in about two minutes. It's just a stereo delay as follows:

Time: 500 ms
Ratio: 99.6%
Hi-Cut: 150 Hz
Lo-Cut: 4 kHz
Drive: 6
LFO2 Rate: 3 Hz
LFO2 Depth: 30%
LFO2 Phase: 90 deg
Mix: 50%

CC

Beat you to it :D

It's in the WIKI and I already pointed to it about the 5th post. I guess the OP didn't try it :oops:

LOL. I actually forgot that I did that clip and I didn't even realize that the studio image linked that file. I Googled the file name to find the original post.

tonygtr said:
Again, why are some people implying that Kristine is some old user? Did I miss something? :?
Some common themes in the posts. The old user was persistent about their personal beliefs about what the Axe-Fx needed to the point of extreme annoyance, so the similar requests conjure up some bad vibes.

[edit]
Also, hunter, thanks for digging up that patch!
That sample was my favorite of the examples jj posted as well, so very cool to have the settings at hand now!
[/edit]

Oh brilliant!

I should have read that post a little closer. Thanks for the reminder.

After much tweaking though starting with these settings, I still think that a tape echo mode in the delay block would be a welcome addition.

godprobe said:
tonygtr said:
Again, why are some people implying that Kristine is some old user? Did I miss something? :?
Some common themes in the posts. The old user was persistent about their personal beliefs about what the Axe-Fx needed to the point of extreme annoyance, so the similar requests conjure up some bad vibes.

[edit]
Also, hunter, thanks for digging up that patch!
That sample was my favorite of the examples jj posted as well, so very cool to have the settings at hand now!
[/edit]

Ah, thanks!

I ended up picking up a Damage Control Timeline delay pedal.

To my ears, this unit does the best echoplex emulation of anything I have ever heard that wasn't tape. it sounded better than the Fulltone TTE. I compared side to side this past week.

The Timeline uses tubes at the input stage and you have the ability to drive these tubes harder or softer, just like on the Tube Tape Echo units. The feedback path of the delay goes through the tubes as well, adding some awesome character, grit and smear to the delay repeats.

The Timeline allows the 100% analog signal to pass to the output and be mixed with the effected signal (delay/echo) keeping your tone pure through the unit.

It uses 32 bit floating point/96kHz processing on the effected side and sounds as good as my TC2290, Korg SDD3000 and Lexicon PCM42 rack delays.

Small company but very worth checking out.

I am coming out of the stereo outputs of the Timeline into the Fractal Axe-FX rear L/R inputs and setting up two seperate mono chains, one for the left side and another for the right side inside the Axe-fx for true stereo operation. it sounds amazing and much better to my ears than the delays built into the unit which are very clean and vanilla with little character.

The sounds I am getting with the combination of this Timeline unit and the Axe-fx are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom