Dynamics Test

listening through some nice earbuds, it's too close to call. Both sounded the same, especially just clicking on an area toward the beginning then clicking on an area toward the end.

I can't tell which is which. I agree w/ luke that #1 starts out bright, but that they end up sounding the same.

How is the JVM recorded?

Extra cool!

First half is the real amp, second half is the Axefx II. I have no doubt about it. It's not because of anything missing or different in the tone (I cant tell them apart) or me having golden ears either. The only reason I am certain is because I can hear the real amp humming and the AxeFx II noise gate kicking in at the end of the recording :)

Nice work Cliff! I have to say this is one update I am really looking forward to!

I'd guess the first half is the real amp. The first one sounded to me to have a more focused upper midrange. I wouldn't call it bright. I preferred the first one, but both sounded very similar.

The beginning of the first clip is a bit brighter than the beginning of the second clip, but if you just listen to the middle parts of the two, it's pretty much identical.

this is like playing roulette! And i think, perhaps there are only black fields! Both halfs sound nearly identical. The differences come more from the differences of playing twice the same guitar part. And it depends on scratching the strings if i find the second or the first part more "open", in this case better to say with a little bit more high-end.

Perhaps you`ll know that i clone my Koch Studiotone twice: Once with my Axe Standard + Ozone EQ. The second time with the Axe II on FW 6.01 (i think?!) with the brand new Tonematching Block. If i remind right, the standard lacks 3db dynamic compared to the Koch with the closest and best amp tweak i was possible to create. I was just able to messure this, because i compared with alsways the same source-DI-recording both units, re-amped and normalize the signals ... but i could feel it also a bit when playing ... The second difference was NOT the sound, original and clone sound almost the same! The second difference was the ground noise! The real amp was that much noisier!

A year later i had the Axe II, re-cloning the koch studiotone with the inbuilt Tonematching block. The result was a dead on, spot on tone, i have post this here in the forum. Also there was NO lack in dynamics anymore! If one or the other had more dynamic when playing i would say the AXE was better than the real thing! This with FW6.01 ! The ONLY difference was again the ground noise!

And this i write here not to hitchhike anything, but it come to my mind, Cliff will kidding us .... both halfs have the same noise! That`s the reason, why i can imagine ..... in this roulette ... all the colored fields are .... black .... and there is no red ....

Cliff, if i am wrong and it is really a real Amp and the Axe: Congratulations. No more questions .... And if so ... SORRY for the assumption, you`ll kidding us with this roulette game you present here ....

Last edited:
Sounds identical to me.

When I hear a term like dynamic modelling, I get excited because it brings to mind further improvements in feel and the ability to control tone with just the guitar volume/tone controls or even just by playing touch. These type of improvements are gold, though I can't really understand how FAS keeps extracting more and more of these goodies from this platform which seems to have endless capability for improvement.

nope... can't hear a tone difference at all...

they sound exactly the same to me...

you guys that can actually hear a difference are either imagining it or you have bat ears...

The tone difference is very apparent to me. The first one sounds more open and "alive" and the second portion has a bit of a wet blanket aura to it ...... like the livelyness is being slightly obscured.

The tone difference is very apparent to me. The first one sounds more open and "alive" and the second portion has a bit of a wet blanket aura to it ...... like the livelyness is being slightly obscured.

I wouldn't exactly call it very apparent. But the second clip has a slightly louder/deeper bass response that overshadow the highs a bit. First part sounds better/more focused.

Back
Top Bottom